Travel New York City {NYC} - tips - questions - advice!

If you are only going to be here five days and this is your first time, forget about non-tourist stuff, you won't have enough time cuz you will need five days to do the tourist stuff! Do the tourist stuff first. You've had many good suggestions. In addition to the highline, visit the Whitney Museum at the southern end of it. might walk across the Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan, take a tour of the historic Brooklyn Heights when you get to Brooklyn, then head back across the Manhattan Bridge, which will leave you in the heart of Chinatown. This will be about four miles of walking, so make sure you can walk like a New Yorker. lol.

There's also the top of 1 WTC and the Empire State Building and the 9/11 memorial. If after that if you are still in the mood you can check out the new high end shopping at Brookfield Place.

It's my fourth time in NYC within six years, so hence me asking for non-tourists stuff as I've seen all the musts. Sorry, forgot to mention this at the beginning [emoji4]

I'll be taking a day trip to NYC this Thursday. I will be hitting up the Chanel boutique for a pair of earrings, but are there any other recommendations on relatively inexpensive (think pieces for under 100 dollars) stores in NYC where I can get some cool stuff? Could be clothing, housewares/blankets, photography, anything. I'm thinking like something I can bring back home that you can only get in new York, or something that is unique to my trip. (Yes, there are I Heart NYC tee shirts everywhere, but those really aren't unique nowadays.)

I'll be taking a day trip to NYC this Thursday. I will be hitting up the Chanel boutique for a pair of earrings, but are there any other recommendations on relatively inexpensive (think pieces for under 100 dollars) stores in NYC where I can get some cool stuff? Could be clothing, housewares/blankets, photography, anything. I'm thinking like something I can bring back home that you can only get in new York, or something that is unique to my trip. (Yes, there are I Heart NYC tee shirts everywhere, but those really aren't unique nowadays.)

If you actually wear one of those tshirts, everyone will immediately know you are a tourist. lol. For photography, NYC is the best. B&H and Adorama are awesome. If you're gonna be at the Chanel store on 57th, not much else cheap around there except the mall stores on 5th Ave like H&M, Aeropostal, Gap, Hollister, etc etc. But if you want to do something exciting for $100, head north on Madison to one of the many excellent consignment stores like Micheal's. I believe there is a long ongoing thread about consignment stores, have a look at it for more.

If you actually wear one of those tshirts, everyone will immediately know you are a tourist. lol. For photography, NYC is the best. B&H and Adorama are awesome. If you're gonna be at the Chanel store on 57th, not much else cheap around there except the mall stores on 5th Ave like H&M, Aeropostal, Gap, Hollister, etc etc. But if you want to do something exciting for $100, head north on Madison to one of the many excellent consignment stores like Micheal's. I believe there is a long ongoing thread about consignment stores, have a look at it for more.

Right, I'm looking for something *unique* that I could bring home from New York, so most standard gift shops are just kind of ehhh. I'm looking for things like a handmade/homemade blanket, crafts, or cheap art prints/photographs. The photography places that I've stumbled upon online don't sell actual photography, just camera lenses and photography accessories lol.

Right, I'm looking for something *unique* that I could bring home from New York, so most standard gift shops are just kind of ehhh. I'm looking for things like a handmade/homemade blanket, crafts, or cheap art prints/photographs. The photography places that I've stumbled upon online don't sell actual photography, just camera lenses and photography accessories lol.

Museum gift shops are often good sources and usually you don't even have to buy admission to visit the actual exhibitions (of course it's often more memorable/meaningful if you have). The Tenement museum on the lower east side has a cool gift shop. Soho and Nolita street vendors sell handmade stuff like art and jewelry. Not sure where you'd find a handmade blanket... Maybe ABC home? If you're ever in NYC from Thanksgiving to Christmas, the Union Square stalls are awesome for unique gifts.

Reactions: anitalilac
Museum gift shops are often good sources and usually you don't even have to buy admission to visit the actual exhibitions (of course it's often more memorable/meaningful if you have). The Tenement museum on the lower east side has a cool gift shop. Soho and Nolita street vendors sell handmade stuff like art and jewelry. Not sure where you'd find a handmade blanket... Maybe ABC home? If you're ever in NYC from Thanksgiving to Christmas, the Union Square stalls are awesome for unique gifts.

I also recommend museum stores, particularly those specific to NYC. Visit the Museum of the City of New York; their gift store has items that represent NYC. http://www.mcny.org/

Reactions: anitalilac
Thanks everyone! I'm going to be sure to check out the museum gift shops next time I go down to NYC which will hopefully be in late August/early September, I bet I can find some art prints/photography prints of the city in there.
For my short little trip, I ended up getting a pair of earrings from Chanel, and a very cool looking throw blanket from Gracious Homes. Which, by the way, I've fallen in love with the whole store. I don't think the blanket is handmade exactly but it's unique as we don't have any Gracious Home stores in Pennsylvania, and it's of very good quality.
I also visited the Central Park Zoo, it was my first time there. It was a cute zoo--not amazing, for a zoo, (not as big as the philadelphia zoo) but I loved the tall trees and they happened to be having some sort of a sea lion show at the time and I got incredible photos of the sea lions. I only really had a few hours.
Next time, I plan on going to the art museum and maybe I will head up to Long Island by the water. I've heard that The Bronx Zoo is really fantastic but I travel by taxi as I don't know NYC very well when I go alone, and The Bronx would be a pretty far/pricey ride if I start out down by Times Square, I believe.

Just another question that I have: Does anyone know how much it costs to take the Ferry in NYC down by there the water is in NYC? I've always wanted to do that, but cannot find a price online anywhere.

Just another question that I have: Does anyone know how much it costs to take the Ferry in NYC down by there the water is in NYC? I've always wanted to do that, but cannot find a price online anywhere.

The price depends on where you are taking it. Look on their websites for pricing: NY Waterways, Seastreak are the names of two companies operating ferries in NY.

There are many different ferries however you might be talking about the Staten Island Ferry. The reason you cannot find a price is that it is FREE! lol. However beware the hustlers nearby who try and sell unsuspecting tourists tix to the SI ferry!

I am going to NYC for one week at the end of August with my boyfriend. We have been going to Florida for the past 4-5 years, but fancied a change this year..

I see that there is a Premium Outlet (Woodbury Common) and a bus service to get there (I have googled prices and times etc). The Outlets in Orlando (Vineland and Orlando International) are usually pretty good, can anyone confirm if Woodbury Common is as good as the outlets in Orlando?

My boyfriend isn't too fussy and usually treats himself to a new pair of jeans (the last few years he has enjoyed the Hugo Boss store), some nice t-shirts/poloshirts (premium or contemporary designer) and some trainers (Vans/Nike/Adidas etc). I love shopping and enjoy a mix of everything - I had a look at the store list and it seems pretty good, so hoping that the overall stock/etc is as good as it has been when I have been to the Orlando outlets!

I am familiar with both the outlets in Orlando and Woodbury. I think they compare quite well and both have a diversity of contemporary and designer shops.
Woodbury has been extended recently, and I think you should find everything that you are looking for.
Try to go during the week, it will be crowded but less crowded compared to the weekend. Have fun!

Reactions: ScottyGal
Morning everyone,

From the UK, getting married in NYC next April at City Hall then looking for a great restaurant preferably with a NYC view. It doesn't HAVE to be a skyline view but I don't want to have traveled all that way to be in a room with no view at all.

Party of 12, none of us have ever been to NYC.

Any suggestions?

Top of my list is Asiate at Mandarin Oriental - the private dining room. We are staying at The Beekman near Tribeca but location doesn't matter too much.

Thanks
Liza x

Congratulations, Slimders, hope you have a lovely time getting married at City Hall! (if I could make a suggestion, get to City Hall early so that you can avoid the lines and can enjoy yourselves the rest of the day)

Have you considered River Cafe in Dumbo, Brooklyn? It's famous for its wonderful views of Downtown Manhattan's skyline. It's a beautiful cafe and has a lovely atmosphere, although I haven't been back since they renovated it when the cafe was damaged by Hurricane Sandy.

I know someone who had her wedding dinner at 230 Fifth, and the views were simply amazing. Food was very good though. However, she had a large wedding and I am not sure what spaces would be available for smaller parties. Here is the link: http://www.230-fifth.com/

All the best!