Travel New York City {NYC} - tips - questions - advice!

If you book your travel yourself, do you still need to buy travel insurance? Thank you

It depends if you want that protection should your plans change.

For hotel bookings, no since hotels typically have cancellation policies of 24-48 hours. Read their cancellation policy when you book.

For flights, maybe, it's up to you and you can purchase when you're booking on the airline's website. It's typically cheaper than a change fee on most US domestic airlines. Southwest is an exception where it's typically free to change flights if you do so before your original departure.

I stayed at the millennium hotel just off Times Square, got upgraded to the sister hotel. The hotel was great within walking distance of Times Square. With regards of travel insurance I would definitely purchase as most cover the basis like lost luggage and I think delays.

It all depends on what decent means for you. I would say if you do a diner, food truck, deli etc for lunch you could easily spend $10-$20. For dinner, depending on what is decent, if you are drinking etc you could easily spend $50/person but also you can definitely go to NYC and still have a good tasting sit down meal for under $20.

Thank you! That's great news! I planned to eat at a few expensive restaurants. For instance le bernardin is a must on this trip. But they are pricey, and I do not want to spend as much each time.
Thanks!

I'm not sure which part of Manhattan to stay. I want to see Ellis island, Statue of Liberty, 9/11 monument

Cab from JFK or LGA to Manhattan will cost at least $60 (does not include tip and toll). I always suggest taking the airport shuttle. From JFK it's $15 and from LGA its $12

This is the company I always use. Super fast and cheap. It drops you off at Grand Central or Penn Station. Pick up, to go back is at the same location.

http://www.nycairporter.com/

I am planning to visit NYC around Christmas, from Dec 20-24. I have only been in the Spring and Summer. What is the weather like?

Much appreciated!!

It depends, but it's usually pretty cold. I highly recommend layering because all the stores and restaurants will have their heat on and it can be quite a difference in temperature! We've had a mild fall so far though so it's possible we'll have a milder winter too.

Thank you! That's great news! I planned to eat at a few expensive restaurants. For instance le bernardin is a must on this trip. But they are pricey, and I do not want to spend as much each time.
Thanks!

My husband and I have had dinner here.. Our bill was pretty close to $1k for 2 people.. Granted, we did have a superb bottle of wine.. But I think it is totally overpriced! Don't get me wrong, we had a great time but could have gotten an awesome French meal elsewhere for much less in NYC
I love NOBU ( but only mid town location), if you like sushi

These are my fav!

Bosie's Tea Parlor in the West Village. (About $25 bucks i believe)
Pembroke Room in the Lowell Hotel on East 63rd St, Upper East Side. Upscale.

Alice's Tea Cup on East 64th St.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply! When I look online The Russian Tea room is always mentioned - have you been? good or over hyped?