New Willis - PCE or the Bay?

kcoach

Jul 23, 2013
Current dilemma - I want a New Willis. My choices are to wait for the next PCE (next week hopefully???) and order it from JAX (they still have some, according to my local boutique) or buy one pre owned off ebay. Price difference would be about $80 more for the new one. Maybe a little more if I could negotiate a little more off.

Issue is that the ebay one is not returnable, where the one from Coach obviously would be. I've seen the bag in person in another color and know it would be large enough for me. But I'm afraid to order the used one, even with the photos that appear to show the bag to be in excellent condition. It is advertised as barely used, no flaws.

Should I take the chance and get the cheaper one?

katierose

Loves Charms & Bags
O.G.
Feb 17, 2009
I always buy from Coach when possible, just to be on the safe side, avoid possible problems, and because of the returns.

On the occasions when I have to buy from ebay, I only buy new with tags and avoid getting used bags. Used bags, clothing, ect, are just not for me.

tonij2000

Luvs Leather
O.G.
Mar 21, 2007
Current dilemma - I want a New Willis. My choices are to wait for the next PCE (next week hopefully???) and order it from JAX (they still have some, according to my local boutique) or buy one pre owned off ebay. Price difference would be about $80 more for the new one. Maybe a little more if I could negotiate a little more off.

Issue is that the ebay one is not returnable, where the one from Coach obviously would be. I've seen the bag in person in another color and know it would be large enough for me. But I'm afraid to order the used one, even with the photos that appear to show the bag to be in excellent condition. It is advertised as barely used, no flaws.

Are you just looking for one particular color? If not, I say get on from the factory online sale www.coachfactory.com

kcoach

Jul 23, 2013
I always buy from Coach when possible, just to be on the safe side, avoid possible problems, and because of the returns.

On the occasions when I have to buy from ebay, I only buy new with tags and avoid getting used bags. Used bags, clothing, ect, are just not for me.

I feel the same way - just thought if I could get it a lot cheaper, it would be good. But I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

katierose

Loves Charms & Bags
O.G.
Feb 17, 2009
I feel the same way - just thought if I could get it a lot cheaper, it would be good. But I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

To be clear, I love ebay and I've bought hundreds of items from ebay sellers. Sometimes that's the only place to find something that's not available any more, but there's always a risk that something will go wrong. From sellers who don't describe their items correctly, purposely or not, to outright scammers, to undelivered/lost mail, I find it's best to avoid ebay when possible and so I prefer to buy bags from Coach and avoid problems.

kcoach

Jul 23, 2013
To be clear, I love ebay and I've bought hundreds of items from ebay sellers. Sometimes that's the only place to find something that's not available any more, but there's always a risk that something will go wrong. From sellers who don't describe their items correctly, purposely or not, to outright scammers, to undelivered/lost mail, I find it's best to avoid ebay when possible and so I prefer to buy bags from Coach and avoid problems.

I agree. I bought one preowned bag and it was in fantastic condition. But you never know.

elisaag

Aug 30, 2013
Don't know if you are near any outlets but I have seen a lot of Willis bags there recently. Just got the Juniper Willis two weeks ago. I also bought a "like new" Willis bag off ebay last week and luckily it was in perfect condition but you always run a risk.

As for not getting invites to the online sale. I didn't get invites and waited months then I just went ahead and registered again with a new email address and got invited within a week. Try registering again with another email and see if that works.

arfmsu

Sep 10, 2012
For me personally, I would get the one off eBay. Money is always my bottom line and if I can get it cheaper, I'll always choose the cheaper option. :smile:

Also, as long as it's documented on the listing (in the description and pictures) and you specifically send an eBay message asking the seller if there are any flaws (rips, stains, tears, marks, odors, etc.) and they say no, you can open a case if it arrives in any other condition than they say.

HTH! :smile:

kcoach

Jul 23, 2013
Don't know if you are near any outlets but I have seen a lot of Willis bags there recently. Just got the Juniper Willis two weeks ago. I also bought a "like new" Willis bag off ebay last week and luckily it was in perfect condition but you always run a risk.

As for not getting invites to the online sale. I didn't get invites and waited months then I just went ahead and registered again with a new email address and got invited within a week. Try registering again with another email and see if that works.

I'm about an hour away from 2 different outlets but neither of them have the one I want. I'll try registering at the factory site with a new email - thanks!

kcoach

Jul 23, 2013
For me personally, I would get the one off eBay. Money is always my bottom line and if I can get it cheaper, I'll always choose the cheaper option. :smile:

Also, as long as it's documented on the listing (in the description and pictures) and you specifically send an eBay message asking the seller if there are any flaws (rips, stains, tears, marks, odors, etc.) and they say no, you can open a case if it arrives in any other condition than they say.

Good points - as long as everything is documented I should be ok right?

arfmsu

Sep 10, 2012
Good points - as long as everything is documented I should be ok right?

In my experience, yes. The key is making sure you actually ASK the seller if there are any visible signs of wear. If it gets escalated to a case (if you're unsatisfied and you and the seller can't work it out), the eBay rep will be able to see that not only in her listing she said that the bag was flawless, but she also said in her response message to you that the bag didn't have flaws.

*I should mention that the above is conditional upon whether or not she actually says that the bag is flawless when she responds to you. :yes:

Just to add one more thing, I've bought most of my Coach collection off of eBay (or other online auction sites). I can count the number of issues I've had with both buying and selling on less than two hands and I have had hundreds of transactions. As long as you take measures to protect yourself (asking the right questions and making sure that what you're supposed to be getting is in writing), you shouldn't have too much of an issue should you need to file a case.

Suzanne B.

Oct 12, 2012

Make sure the seller has good ratings and that will tell you a lot, read some of the feedback. If she/he has a 14 day money back policy, that is even better. But, even if they don't have a return policy, ebay favors buyers and if you get a bad deal, you would get your money back.

I've bought a LOT off ebay and have had only 2 bags I was not happy with and the sellers took them back with no problems whatsoever, even though they had a no returns policy.

I'd say give it a shot, it's where I scored my new Willis in navy a long time ago.....there was none in Jax and no new ones to be found anywhere. I got a great deal and the Willis looked and smelled brand new and even came in the gift box the seller received it in.

tonij2000

Luvs Leather
O.G.
Mar 21, 2007
I'm about an hour away from 2 different outlets but neither of them have the one I want. I'll try registering at the factory site with a new email - thanks!

You can call and put on "on hold" at an outlet that has one and go in your outlet and do the paper work for a "charge send." The store that has it (you ask them to hold it for you) will them ship it to your home for $10.

kcoach

Jul 23, 2013
You can call and put on "on hold" at an outlet that has one and go in your outlet and do the paper work for a "charge send." The store that has it (you ask them to hold it for you) will them ship it to your home for $10.

If anyone sees one in an outlet, please PM me!

I just made the girl on ebay an offer, so we'll see if she accepts it...