New Wallet Styles or Old?

HermesFSH

O.G.
Feb 5, 2009
Hi all - this is a long post!

I am thinking of buying another wallet.

Yes, I have read through the many comparison threads, Dogon v Bearn, including the more recent ones. I looked at both the Dogon and the Bearn a while ago, and ended up buying a Silk'in compact instead.

The Silk'in has served me well, still looks great inside and out, but I would like something a bit bigger and more versatile. It is stuffed with cards/loyalty cards/stamp books etc, and is not very well organised. I don't carry much cash, just one or two notes folded in the zipped section. I also use a Bastia coin purse and a Calvi for library/business cards. I also keep cards in my ziparound Globetrotter. Everything is full, despite trying to reduce what I carry, and my bag is heavy!

Maybe I'm getting twitchy about the impending January price rise, but I feel I need to buy another wallet soon.

I have read about the Bearn addicts on here, but the Bearn has never really sung to me, although I appreciate it holds a lot. My SA told me how it opens up as the tab becomes less secure with use. The Dogon is large and the floppiness possibly makes it easier to carry, and I could fit a passport in there if I needed to. I don't really want an Azap/larger Silk'in as I would like something without a zip for a change (got zips on Globetrotter and compact Silk'in).

Getting to the point now....I was just about to speak to my SA about Dogons and Bearns and then I remembered the new wallet styles!

Has anyone got any more info on the new Evelyne Wallets? From the pic it loooks a bit like the Bearn Bifold but without a closure tab:

attachment.php

It's also in Le Monde p74.
Does it only come in Barenia? How do you think it would wear compared to other leathers, bearing in mind it would be handled a lot? Would it be more durable than a croc Bearn wallet? I thought they may be hitting the stores about now so I would be interested in your thoughts if you have seen any of the range. I like the style but wished it came in colours too (although I'm sure I've seen a card holder in the same style in a coloured leather on here). Does anyone know what ther interior of the cardholder looks like i.e how many cards it fits/whether there is a note section. I was wondering if the interior may be like the Copernic wallet?

Finally is this wallet Hermes' answer to the WOC?
attachment.php

(It's different to the Chaine D'ancre bag)

Would this wallet be the most versatile of the lot (I think it is the Chaine D'ancre Biker wallet)? Is the chain removable?

I don't know whether to wait for the new wallets or pull the trigger now. I don't mind changing my bags (I always use a purse liner) but changing wallets frequently would annoy me. I know many of you have lots and lots of wallets, lol, maybe I'm asking too much by wanting just one perfect one!

Attachments

• Hermes-BARÉNIA-EVELYN-wallets.jpg
    Hermes-BARÉNIA-EVELYN-wallets.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Hermes-SWIFT-CHAÎNE-D’ANCRE-BIKER-wallet.jpg
    Hermes-SWIFT-CHAÎNE-D’ANCRE-BIKER-wallet.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,661
I know nothing I am afraid but this would make a fantastic and versatile addition to most wardrobes for day and/or night. Thank you for the pic as I wasn't aware of it.

attachment.php

Are you supposed to wear it somehow? Or is this supposed to attach to the bag?

I also wish H would make something like the Chanel WOC.

I have many bearn wallets and they contain the full compliment of cards. I have used mine for a few years now and the strap closure has not become loose. I should point out that I do not put coins in it, I use a bastia coin purse for my change so that may help.

I also have a dogon wallet. I do use the coin purse in that and I have found that it bends any credit cards you put in the front two slots, to the extent that one would not go through a card machine properly. I personally prefer my bearn wallets or my Kelly wallet. That can be annoying to open the straps all the time but I just slot them underneath and fasten it with the lock.

I have a croc bearn wallet but I'm abit scared of using it and tend to save it for special outings rather than day to day, which my DH would be mortified about if he knew, considering the cost of it!

I was told that the new evelyne wallet does not fasten and personally I think that would annoy me. It also does not hold any more than the bi fold Bearn. barenia is hard wearing but it is not for the faint hearted, it does scratch easily but that is part and parcel of Barenia. It took me awhile to get used to it as I tend to baby my bags. I should imagine it will be the same if not worse in a wallet.

I haven't seen the latest one you pictured (in pink) so can't comment. I hope the above helps and wish you every luck in finding your perfect wallet.

Thanks for coming to my rescue yet again Ms Birkin!

Would a Bearn trifold be much bulkier than a bifold? I wasn't wowed by the Dogon IRL but it did look practical. I use a Bastia for change too so the purse in the Dogon would not be a big deal, I thought the larger part would be more practical for travel. I don't think a passport would fit in a Bearn as the width of both items is the same.

I would love a croc Bearn but I think it would be difficult to keep 100% dry especially if I'm carrying an open Birkin (my contents have been rained on a few times). All the pics on here are gorgeous and make me want one! Is the retail aroung the £3k mark? I could only really justify it if I used it regularly.

I don't think I'll wait to see the Evelyne wallet although the coin purse is cute! I could get that anyway, just to sniff the Barenia!

I am surprised no one has any knowledge of the pink wallet - I got it from the same site as the other pic, and will ask my SA about it too.

Thanks again for all your help :smile:

No the tri fold isn't much bulkier than the bi fold. Unfortunately I can't photograph them side by side as My camera isn't working at the moment. You can get a passport in the Dogon but not in a bearn, it would fall out.

That is my worry with my croc bearn, I'm paranoid about it getting wet especially as I carry my Birkins open. HTH

I love my Bearn wallets and have never been a big fan of a Dogon wallet, I found it too large for a daily use.............. However, I would not mind a Dogon Long , it is slimmer and can fit more CC as well............

I have attached comparison pics of a bi-fold and tri-fold so that you can use it as a reference............. I found the tri-fold can be a tad bit bulky when stuffed, but not too much KWIM........ BTW, both wallets are empty when I took those pics............

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I cannot wait until the Evelyne wallets hit the store........... and really hope that they are made of Barenia (not Fauve tadelakt)............

Attachments

• Bearn comparison1.jpg
    Bearn comparison1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,032
  • Bearn comparison2.jpg
    Bearn comparison2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 984
  • Bearn comparison3.jpg
    Bearn comparison3.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,014
Hi Hermes FSH,

I recently bought the kelly wallet in the smaller size. I think the size is perfect for everyday use and there is a notes section, 5 CC slots and a substantial sized zipper coin purse. It is not too bulky or heavy to add to the weight of my bags. Just a thought for you?

ITA about the tab on the Bearn wallets.

I have had problems with the tab on one of my leather Bearn wallets. It is getting looser, and it is starting to curl a bit. My gator and croc Bearns do not seem to have this problem (yet).

I really like the AZAP Long. It is a well-organized, secure wallet. My husband uses one, and I have the same similarly styled wallets from BV. I use them more than I use my Hermes wallets now.

I have an Chocolate Epsom Bi fold Bearn which i have used extensively for the last year and i've not noticed any slippage on the tab....maybe that is just a characteristic of Epsom but i am very happy with it.

I have always been a great fan of the Azap Long, which is a zip-around long wallet with a lot of credit card compartments, and slots for receipts. A super well-made wallet, showing only the best craftsmanship. The downside is that it's an expensive wallet. As such, I always recommend the Silk-In. It's a great price and the silk interior is absolutely gorgeous and pleasing to the eye each time you open it. (Can't say for each and every time money has to fly out)

I know nothing I am afraid but this would make a fantastic and versatile addition to most wardrobes for day and/or night. Thank you for the pic as I wasn't aware of it.

attachment.php

I love my gusseted ostrich Bearn wallet, but this picture makes me think maybe it's time for another wallet. This is beautiful and different from anything else I have seen. What is the name of this wallet?

Thank you for everyone's input.

I have spoken to my SA and will look at the Bearn Trifold when she can track a few down for me. I agree the Azap is very functional, but I wanted something different looking externally to the SLGs I have, and externally it looks similar to the Silk'in and zip around Globetrotter.

I think the Bearn wallet tab is more stable in Epsom, but I will see what she comes up with first. She agrees a Dogon is not big enough, having seen what I carry around with me!

My SA said she had already planned to put aside a new Evelyne coin purse for me, (she knows me well!), and she thinks they will come in colours as well, not just Barenia.

Thank you Syma for your input too :smile: I think I need more than 5 CC slots unfortunately, it's not far off what I have in the SIlk'in. ;)

I may get a large wallet and use my existing compact Silk'in as my "overflow" wallet, lol!