New Tweed Chanel Bag ~ With Glue Around the grommets?!?!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello Ladies,

I was so thrilled to finally purchase my first Chanel handbag. I did my research and found one that I really liked on eBay (how many horror stories start out this way...?). It came with an authenticity card, care instructions, dust bag, and all searches I did for its serial number didn't come up on any counterfeit listings, so I was happy. My dealer had excellent feedback and a high sales score so I felt comfortable that the bag was authentic.

When the lovely tweed bag arrived in the mail, I was SHOCKED to find a spaghetti sauce colored stain appeared on the tweed around all four grommets and one small edge of the top flap (see photos...). It also appears to have a tacky consistency like dried glue! This was never mentioned in the bag's listing, btw.

What do I do?! I called Chanel and they said it could take 8 weeks and another $100-200! Have any of you EVER heard of such a thing? Even though having this bag in my hands, I'm convinced it's real... Have I fallen victim to another scam? I'm coming to you all for your expertise so please... Help!

Attached Files:

2. I don't think it is glue....it looks like rust?? But how could it be rust?? Unless the bag got wet before.

I think you just send it to Chanel and if they can fix it, that's the best. (If you cannot return the bag)

Good luck!

3. oh no, this is awful. i m so sorry about the bag. if u wan to keep the bag, cud u not go back to the seller n ask for a refund of say US$200 so that u can pay for the restoration work to be done at Chanel boutique?

i dunno if mine is exactly the same model as yours, i got mine from a 2nd hand shop here last week, the bag is like 99% new, i paid about US$1500.

sorry if i havent been of much help.

4. Instead of sending it back to Chanel for repair (and to be honest, I am not sure what Chanel can do given that tweed bags are notoriouly difficult to fix), I would just demand a full refund from your seller. Although great tweed bags are increasingly difficult to find, there are always ones in excellent condition selling at reasonable price cropping up at ebay now and then. For tweed bags, always buy one that is in perfect condition. I have some tweed flaps and they are all at least 4 ~ 5 years old now and they don't have no glue stain!!!

I am sorry you have to go through this with your first tweed purchase. I hope you will not be discouraged by this. I mean look at my wish list!! I am a Chanel tweed flap freak! :sweatdrop:

5. Ouch, sorry to hear that. I would follow Miffy's advice though, she's our tweed flap freak uhhh...expert :biggrin:

6. Please help:
    I have this problem with my tweed Chanel, and am unsure how to fix it. Has anyone been successful in rectifying this problem?

I tried dabbing a small area of it with a wet paper towel and the glue marks came off. However, I'm not sure if this is the recommended course of action in treating this problem... I'm nervous about doing this to all the other glue marks since I don't know if it will damage the bag over the long term.

Also, there are glue marks on the leather parts of the bag, so am uneasy about trying to wipe them off with a wet paper towel too.

Anyone with experience, please help! Much appreciated in advance.

7. I just received a Chanel cerf tote bag back from Lovin' My Bags. The are a restoration company reccomended by many TPFers. I bought it from Portero. The handles "peeled" and discolored the first time I used it. Turns out that someone else had had this bag restored by a less knowledgeable company. The had not removed the oils from the handles before putting on the restoring process and therefore the new covering peeled right off. It looks great now . I reccomend them highly.