New Trim -- I look frumpy! :-(

dagnypup

O.G.
Feb 3, 2010
I am so disappointed! I just got a Trim II today (in the mail) and I am not sure why but it doesn't look right on me. It made me look really dated (in a BAD sort of way) and frumpy. :shucks:

I don't understand if it is the shape of the bag, the fact that the outfit I was wearing wasn't all that chic, or that the bag itself is a bit of a retro-look and I wasn't dressed accordingly. (I was wearing a short denim skirt and blue crew-neck cable-knit cardigan sweater).

Has anybody else had this problem? Or is it just me?

The specs :navy/indigo box 31cm ghw

I do have the option of returning the bag -- but I thought it might be nice to figure out why it is not working for me (especially since others love this bag so much!)

I'd appreciate any advice,
Dagny

Maybe it's the leather? I love box but in a shoulder bag, I prefer more casual and slouchy leathers like clemence or ever grain.

Sorry you are not blown away by it because I love my trims.

Dagny, I am so sorry. How awful to be disappointed about a bag. Sometimes, a piece just doesn't work for many reasons. Some might be clear and obvious, others sometimes are just as valid but harder to figure out. In my opinion, a great bag should make you look sharper, better because you are wearing it. Again, this bag should have made your "average" attire look better, not dated. Sleep on it, then in good light try on a few more outfits with your bag. Is the shape a problem? In my mind, it shouldn't be. It's a slim, neat, classic bag. Is it the color? Is the navy looking too "old?" Some people cannot wear navy and grey imo. Since you have the chance to return, I hope you feel free and unpressured. You should LOVE her. If she doesn't work--she is too costly to dislike and frump up your look. Good luck! Do you want to post pictures for more feedback from the PF ladies?

Dagny, I am so sorry. How awful to be disappointed about a bag. Sometimes, a piece just doesn't work for many reasons. Some might be clear and obvious, others sometimes are just as valid but harder to figure out. In my opinion, a great bag should make you look sharper, better because you are wearing it. Again, this bag should have made your "average" attire look better, not dated. Sleep on it, then in good light try on a few more outfits with your bag. Is the shape a problem? In my mind, it shouldn't be. It's a slim, neat, classic bag. Is it the color? Is the navy looking too "old?" Some people cannot wear navy and grey imo. Since you have the chance to return, I hope you feel free and unpressured. You should LOVE her. If she doesn't work--she is too costly to dislike and frump up your look. Good luck! Do you want to post pictures for more feedback from the PF ladies?

Thank you -- I will sleep on it and try things out in the morning.
I wear a lot of navy and grey in my wardrobe (these are my neutrals) and I have an indigo Dalvy that I really like, so I don't really know if it is the color.
It doesn't appear to be too large or too small -- the leather is not slouchy (which is why I chose it).

The outift I was wearing could be considered "classic" and I figured the bag would look fine since it, too, is a "classic" -- but it really just made me look like some sort of throwback to the 80's: boring twinset, boring pearls, etc. I guess I was expecting "chic" and it didn't live up to those expectations. I have a photo of the exact bag on a mannequin and it looks so sharp! Which is why I was really disappointed when I pulled it out of the box (because it looked rather "classic" and not "chic").

Maybe things will look better in the morning. :sad: I will try and take some photos tomorrow if I can't make the bag work out -- or maybe I will just return it. I just want to figure out what the problem is, so I don't make the same mistake (assuming, of course, that it is a mistake)

Last edited:
Maybe it's the leather? I love box but in a shoulder bag, I prefer more casual and slouchy leathers like clemence or ever grain.

Sorry you are not blown away by it because I love my trims.

I really liked the Trim in other people's photos, too! I just figured it would work out just as great for me.

What a let down! :sad: I was so excited all week to get this bag.

So sorry , I hate those packages that disappoint.
I've been looking at Trims too: I think your first instinct of it looking frumpy will always be with you and my advice would be to return it . Once I get frumpy in my head about H things it never morphs into a more positive retro cool .Quite a lot of H can go either way IMO
Maybe a red or chartreuse Trim would work , they'd look great with navy or grey , and esp chartreuse could look really modern .

Oh my, I'm so sorry to hear that the Trim disappointed you! It looked so nice and elegant on the photos, I was sure it would be perfect for you! I guess that's the problem with buying from internet and not being able to try it on before you receive it. I agree with Frou Frou, if you're not in love with it, than return it and save the money for something else.
I've been looking for one lately, but I think I would like to find a larger one in a slouchy leather.

Trust your instincts. If that is your first thought, it would probably always stay with you no matter what others tell you.
It might be the color. Navy can be tricky even though it's a great color.

Have you tried wearing it with something a little more funky? Maybe it's the classic clothes and the classic bag that's throwing the look off for you. That can be especially true if you're younger.

Personally I do not find the trim dated usually hermes bags go through cycles and then revive like the Constance or the jige referring to the period not the bag itself for example, I am a big fan of Dallas and Dynasty and looking at them I noticed how very much the clutch was used and so for many years I thought of large envelopes and clutch bags as dated until I noticed that I live in a wonderful period of fashion time because you can wear items and not be dated but retro............ That said when I look at at the trim I find that it does not look as modern because of gucci !!!!! Guccis Jackie bag is a trim and the trim is the Jackie but gucci did a much better job at reviving it by giving it size a wide cross body belt and so on.....so the bag tends to look much more modern leaving the trim a bit behind,also it is a bag I would not own simply because I feel Hermes does top handle bags way better than shoulder bags the Kelly the birkin the bolide and the picotin work for me and the only shoulder bag I have found that works is for me from H is the double sense this is due to the fact that other Hermes shoulder bags are very stiff and do not hug the body they simply hang so I can understand the effect you describe. I would suggest another out fit but.......if it does not capture you let go darling !!!!! Hope it helps.darling. Birkel !

I am so disappointed! I just got a Trim II today (in the mail) and I am not sure why but it doesn't look right on me. It made me look really dated (in a BAD sort of way) and frumpy. :shucks:

I don't understand if it is the shape of the bag, the fact that the outfit I was wearing wasn't all that chic, or that the bag itself is a bit of a retro-look and I wasn't dressed accordingly. (I was wearing a short denim skirt and blue crew-neck cable-knit cardigan sweater).

Has anybody else had this problem? Or is it just me?

The specs :navy/indigo box 31cm ghw

I do have the option of returning the bag -- but I thought it might be nice to figure out why it is not working for me (especially since others love this bag so much!)

I'd appreciate any advice,
Dagny

so interesting to hear this view as I ve had exactly the same problem. I was looking for my 'starter' Hermes and had a look at vintage designs at the dressing box Liberty's. They had couple of Hermes trims and a sako. On their own they looked beautiful, when I tried them on though they took me to frumpyland.:tdown:I might have been able to get one to work - if I changed the way I dressed, but really at that price, I wanted something to improve my looks rather than drag them down. Same issue with a vintage CHANEL, my mother has. This is the same model, that Nicole wears and looks super cool, when I tried it - I just looked in urgent need of a wardrobe makeover. :oh:Vintage does not suit everyone and I think for expensive purchases its imperative to have the option to try things/or returm them

Attachments

• small front bag.jpg
    small front bag.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,269
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,284
Reactions: crimson_clover
I can remember a while ago, someone posted a thread saying they were having second thoughts about buying a Trim, and another member described the bag as "suburban." I can't say that I completely agree with that assessment--because at times I've considered buying a Trim, and I still do, especially since someone recently mentioned that Hermes is bringing the bag back into production. But the phrase stuck with me nonetheless. I also worry that it looks so much like the Gucci Jackie bag.... I think the key would be to buy a Trim in a slouchier leather, as others have mentioned, so it has a little sex appeal to it, and looks less structured and conservative.