New to RM - looking for recommendations

crissy11

O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
Hi ladies,

I am brand new to the RM brand but have been admiring it for a while. Up to now I've been buying Coach and Michael Kors. RM is not available in Canada (at least in my area) so I've never even seen one IRL but they sure do look gorgeous online.

DH and I have a trip planned to Orlando in early February, so I want to start learning about the bags and narrow down my decision on what to buy so that I won't be overwhelmed when I get there.

I understand that Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus carry RM - is that the best place to purchase one? Do they ever go on sale?

My preference for bags is a medium size hobo/shoulder bag, I really dislike large bags and don't like satchels very much.

Would you ladies have any suggestions as to what I should start looking at to narrow down my decision?

MANY THANKS!! :biggrin:

Try looking at a mini Nikki if you like Hobos. I have a full sized Nikki, and it slouches A LOT, so it ends up looking pretty close to the size of a large Zoe (maybe a touch bigger). I think someone told me the mini Nikki compares in size to the medium Zoe.

Amazon has been having 30% off sales on RM fairly often recently. The last one just ended, but I'm guessing there will be at least one ore two more between now and February.

BTW - I LOVE THESE.

Rebecca-Minkoff-True-Love-Hobo.jpg

RM-True-Love.jpg

I love my mini nikki. There is a pic somwhere in my collection thread in my siggy. It is a great size. I am not a fan of large bags either, so I would stay away from the full size nikki. The True Love hobo looks great, but I haven't seen one irl yet.

I have purchased all of mine online (Endless, Bonanza, etc) so I don't know about sales in stores. I have seen some RM at Nordstrom irl, but there were only a few and not on sale. I'm sure every store is different though.

The bags you linked are the True Love. I have one and love it! There's also a similar style called the Covet True Love which looks awesome too.

Another option is the Devote. And you should definitely look at the Nikki as well ^_^

If you're looking for sale prices, I recently saw some RM bags at Nordstrom Rack. But there are much better deals online during the rebeccaminkoff.com sales and through sites like giltgroupe.com.

For full-price bags, Bloomingdale's and Saks are a good place to start.

Hi ladies,

I am brand new to the RM brand but have been admiring it for a while. Up to now I've been buying Coach and Michael Kors. RM is not available in Canada (at least in my area) so I've never even seen one IRL but they sure do look gorgeous online.

DH and I have a trip planned to Orlando in early February, so I want to start learning about the bags and narrow down my decision on what to buy so that I won't be overwhelmed when I get there.

I understand that Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus carry RM - is that the best place to purchase one? Do they ever go on sale?

My preference for bags is a medium size hobo/shoulder bag, I really dislike large bags and don't like satchels very much.

Would you ladies have any suggestions as to what I should start looking at to narrow down my decision?

MANY THANKS!! :biggrin:

Not every B&M Nordies and Neiman's carry RM, the ones in my town don't. You might want to call ahead. Try Saks too!

Well, hello crissy11! I'm dipping my toes into the RM waters too. I second the recommendation for Nordstrom Rack, and Saks Off Fifth, if nothing else because you can see and touch the bags to help decide what kind of leather you want. I'll have to check out the online sales too because I love a good deal!

I just pulled out my full-size light grey Nikki and my large Zoe, and I was surprised to find that the Nikki is WAY larger than the large Zoe when both are laid out flat. She's narrower front-to-back, but I'd estimate she's around three inches wider and 1-2 inches taller than large Zoe. But the leather is AMAZING, thick, soft, wowowow. A nearly perfect grey for me, and I've been hunting for the perfect grey bag for a while. I haven't snipped the tags yet because I'm trying to pace myself :smile: but she's on deck for a debut soon!!

I agree about the mini Nikki for your first purchase Crissy. I went with the full size Nikki, because I LOVE big bags. But now that I have it, I have decided to try a mini Nikki as well. (I tell myself they are two different bags, and justify it that way. LOL) I agree to shop online for a great deal. Did I hear the RM has an after Christmas sale online? That might be a way to go. Or even better would be an Endless sale, because if you wanted to return for whatever reason, you have a generous return policy. Amazon and Endless are connected, so the merchandise is the same, you just have to see which outlet is having the better sale at the time. And there are so many colors. Congratulations on deciding to give in to the RM Bug. You won't be sorry.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not a fan of online shopping. Living in Canda the shipping and customs/duty taxes can suck the joy out of a good deal pretty fast. And since I've never even seen an RM IRL I don't want my first purchase to be sight unseen. And part of the reason I'm looking forward to my Orlando vacation is to shop, so I want to buy my new bag live and in person.

Hopefully I will be able to find somewhere in the Orlando area that sells RM - if anyone knows, please do tell!

For those of you who have Coach and RM bags - can you give me your opinions on how they compare? The one thing about Coach bags that always made me yawn was the stupid satiny linings - are the RM interiors nicer?

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I have been checking them all out.