New To Me Speedy 25 Damier Ebene - Red Showing Under Brown?

Oct 8, 2013
I just purchased a pre loved Speedy 25 in Damier Ebene and it's not in as great shape as I hoped but it was about 40% less than new (and from France) so I'm in rehab mode. The interior was filthy but I've baby wiped enough hair (?) to make a toupee (gag), vacuumed it on light suction, and the rest of the interior is covered in ink marks but I can live with that since I'm using an insert. The canvas looks very good and the leather bits, piping and handles do as well. I used LMB on the canvas and it really cleaned up nice.

BUT then I saw something that's making me nervous and I can't find anything about it on the forum or anywhere. On the bottom four corners of the bag there is a tiny little dot like area of red showing under where the dark brown color in the canvas is. Is it a chip and the canvas is red underneath or is it the canvas interior which I can't imagine. I'm planning on keeping it as long as those four dots of red aren't the start of real trouble. I have a Neverfull and Alma both in DE and I've never had this happen. I know this sounds silly but this little bag already found a place in my heart (without the hair of course ugh) and unless this is a sign of four holes in the canvas down the road I don't want to send it back. I would love to hear your thoughts on this and will take pics later when I get home from work.

Thank you so much.

I don't have a speedy b 25 DE. But when you mention red dots I have it on 4 corners of my mini pochette DE. It don't worry me though, it's just the lining peeking through. I guess it's normal. Any close up photos of yours? 2017-05-11 14.21.00.jpg

Reactions: j19
I just purchased a pre loved Speedy 25 in Damier Ebene and it's not in as great shape as I hoped but it was about 40% less than new (and from France) so I'm in rehab mode. The interior was filthy but I've baby wiped enough hair (?) to make a toupee (gag), vacuumed it on light suction, and the rest of the interior is covered in ink marks but I can live with that since I'm using an insert. The canvas looks very good and the leather bits, piping and handles do as well. I used LMB on the canvas and it really cleaned up nice.

BUT then I saw something that's making me nervous and I can't find anything about it on the forum or anywhere. On the bottom four corners of the bag there is a tiny little dot like area of red showing under where the dark brown color in the canvas is. Is it a chip and the canvas is red underneath or is it the canvas interior which I can't imagine. I'm planning on keeping it as long as those four dots of red aren't the start of real trouble. I have a Neverfull and Alma both in DE and I've never had this happen. I know this sounds silly but this little bag already found a place in my heart (without the hair of course ugh) and unless this is a sign of four holes in the canvas down the road I don't want to send it back. I would love to hear your thoughts on this and will take pics later when I get home from work.

Thank you so much.
I don't think I can sugarcoat this, but those red "dots" on the bottom corners are a result of the canvas being rubbed so thin that the interior lining is showing through and that's a problem. Unfortunately it can't be repaired and will only worsen with time, not to mention that LV will now refuse to attempt any repairs of any nature. You're at a crossroads now; do you accept the reality of its condition and use it regardless or, if you still have the opportunity to do so, pursue a return and refund? I personally - and it's just that, a personal opinion - would attempt a return because even 40% off is way too much for a purse in that condition when there are real gems out there waiting to be discovered. Best of luck:hugs:

Yours is caused by wear and tear, looks like scuffing. Mine came like this bought new . Ive had mine nearly 6 months. It hasn't gotten worse with the lining peeking through. I think if you go to LV store because it's the canvas thats scuffed it's not repairable. You could try a reputable bag clinic restorer who might be able to apply something on top. I'm not entirely sure they can do this on canvas, but I've had it done on leather. You could enquire about it.

oh my, is there any way you can return it? If not, I would ask one of the purse repair experts (leather surgeons, lovin my bags, etc) if they can help cover and reinforce those areas, as well as other areas that may need it. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

oh my, is there any way you can return it? If not, I would ask one of the purse repair experts (leather surgeons, lovin my bags, etc) if they can help cover and reinforce those areas, as well as other areas that may need it. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Thank you all so much for your amazing help and insight! It was a final sale but because it wasn't mentioned anywhere that the lining was worn through the canvas on all four corners, nor was it shown in any of the pictures, so I was able to return it and get a site credit which I'm happy with. My DH was upset with me because of what happened so it might have been a while longer until I could rebuy another bag so thankfully getting a site credit and not a refund I have no choice lol.

I love the DE Speedy but it would have made me miserable knowing it would only get worse and it wasn't repairable. If it wasn't for all of you I would have been out of a lot of money for a bag with a very short life span. Thank you all so much for all of your help.

I am going to wait until I see the word "pristine" in the description of the bag and let the site credit sit until then. I have both new and preloved LV and have never seen anything like that before.

I'm not giving up though, I am going to find my perfect Speedy De !

I think you did the right thing. Plus that lady who is getting the bag is very lucky get a much cleaner and in better condition inside the bag than when she sold it to you. They were naughty to miss out obvious wear and tear info on the bag in hope they can pass it off. I'm glad you were atleast able to a get a credit note.

Good luck with hunting for your pristine speedy, it will come.

Thank you all so much for your amazing help and insight! It was a final sale but because it wasn't mentioned anywhere that the lining was worn through the canvas on all four corners, nor was it shown in any of the pictures, so I was able to return it and get a site credit which I'm happy with. My DH was upset with me because of what happened so it might have been a while longer until I could rebuy another bag so thankfully getting a site credit and not a refund I have no choice lol.

I love the DE Speedy but it would have made me miserable knowing it would only get worse and it wasn't repairable. If it wasn't for all of you I would have been out of a lot of money for a bag with a very short life span. Thank you all so much for all of your help.

I am going to wait until I see the word "pristine" in the description of the bag and let the site credit sit until then. I have both new and preloved LV and have never seen anything like that before.

That's great news! :yahoo:

At least you were able to return it for credit and, although gun-shy for now, it means that you can still find that perfect little treasure. Even if you don't see the word "pristine" you can always look at similar bags that become available and you now know what to look out for and what to request for in terms of extra pics. Best of luck in your search!

This looks like it was caused by a hard plastic base shaper, which probably caused all four corners to wear like that. I don't think it will get any bigger, but I do think it will eventually crack. Stick with a soft base shaper.