New to me Bolide 31: yes or no?

Keep or return?

• Keep

• Return

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dear fellow Hermes lovers, (sorry, can't figure out how to add accent marks!)

I've just purchased a secondhand Bolide 31 (2005) from Ann's Fabulous Finds and desperately need your advice!

This will be my second Hermes bag -- I also have a (new) Jypsiere 28 in gold clemence, which I love.

I've been wanting a Bolide in this size and color (rouge H) and I really like this leather, which is vache liegee, since it isn't too slouchy.

The bag is in great condition, with some scratches inside that don't bother me since I'm sure I'll scratch it myself. It came with the shoulder strap, clochette, dust bag and one key. Price was $4500; a new B31in clemence is $8100.

So my question is: Do you think this is a fair price given that it has only one key and no box? Does the one key hurt its resale value enough for me to spend nearly twice as much on a new bag??

Thanks SO MUCH for your input!! xoxo Alisa

Beautiful bag ! Box does not add additional value to resell and missing one key is not a big deal. I think that the price is fair. Congrats and enjoy her.

You are welcome Alisa. Did you mention the leather? That is important if you want mou (softer style vs. structured). You are indicating a preference for softer so perhaps you should consider this as well if the bag you purchased is not your leather choice.
Hi Ianit,
This bag (Rouge H) is vache liegee, and I think the stiffer leather works beautifully with the shape so I am happy with the combination. Rigide was my first choice since, to me, this color/size bag can be dressy or informal.

But I also like the "mou" effect with clemence, which I think of as more casual, so if I get another Bolide down the road I might try another color that would be more casual too, such as the blue jean. I would have to see it IRO.

There are so many choices! No wonder people end up with multiple bags :smile:

Beautiful bag ! Box does not add additional value to resell and missing one key is not a big deal. I think that the price is fair. Congrats and enjoy her.
Love the bear! Back in 1903, my great-grandfather created the "Teddy" bear, named for Theodore Roosevelt, so I have had a soft spot for bears ever since.

Love the bear! Back in 1903, my great-grandfather created the "Teddy" bear, named for Theodore Roosevelt, so I have had a soft spot for bears ever since.

adguru - Wow, I learn something new everyday and thanks for the knowledge of the 'teddy' bear. I had no idea the name came from 'Theodore Roosevelt' !! It is too cute and you should be proud of the joy of your heritage and the happiness that your great grand-father had created.

Similar to 'Teddy bears', H bags are also very loveable and last a long time. I've several Bolides in the past and my current one is a Rouge Caseque B31 in Clemence. It slouches as the leather softens so she sleeps flat on your stomach !! :biggrin::biggrin: I adore Bolides though because it is such a understated elegant bag.

I bet your UV is beautiful! I love the size of the 31... I don't carry that much stuff anymore so anything larger may be too big.

I am so in love and I bought preloved. But I think this bag was destined to be mine. I helped get a friend get a 35 UV and ever since then I felt like I wish it were mine. But truly it was better for me to get it in size 31. Years passed and I found one and I was so thrilled to find it in near perfect condition. It was also my first preloved bag ever. I was nervous but it all worked out. Maybe one day I will own a rainbow of bolides 31. it may be a a life goal instead of a rainbow of Bs and K's. Ha ha.

And I notice that as I get older and my kids get older I don't need such big bags anymore too. But I am hesitant to get of my B35s just yet. So I understand how 31 is such a great size.

Last edited:
Ann's prices fairly and you can always get another key/lock set, and a box if you like. You won't get this leather anymore - the only non-slouchy new Bolide you MIGHt see would be Epsom. And Rouge H is also not an easy find.
H resale value (I think) is judged primarily on desirability of the model, condition, rarity/popularity of the color and leather, and original retail, pretty much in that order. I would never turn down a dream bag for lack of lock and keys or box.
So YAY on your new Bolide!!

Ann's prices fairly and you can always get another key/lock set, and a box if you like. You won't get this leather anymore - the only non-slouchy new Bolide you MIGHt see would be Epsom. And Rouge H is also not an easy find.
H resale value (I think) is judged primarily on desirability of the model, condition, rarity/popularity of the color and leather, and original retail, pretty much in that order. I would never turn down a dream bag for lack of lock and keys or box.
So YAY on your new Bolide!!
What great information! You can tell I'm a newbie... I didn't realize that leather and color are harder to find, although when I've looked at the website they only have clemence.

Anyway, thank you -- that clinches it for me, I think. I'm ready to start enjoying my bag :woohoo:

adguru - Wow, I learn something new everyday and thanks for the knowledge of the 'teddy' bear. I had no idea the name came from 'Theodore Roosevelt' !! It is too cute and you should be proud of the joy of your heritage and the happiness that your great grand-father had created.

Similar to 'Teddy bears', H bags are also very loveable and last a long time. I've several Bolides in the past and my current one is a Rouge Caseque B31 in Clemence. It slouches as the leather softens so she sleeps flat on your stomach !! :biggrin::biggrin: I adore Bolides though because it is such a understated elegant bag.
So here's the teddy bear story: Theodore ("Teddy") Roosevelt was known to be an avid sportsman and hunter. On one occasion, while he was down south to settle a border dispute, his host decided to tie a bear to a tree so the President could go home with a trophy. Teddy felt it was unsportsmanlike and refused to shoot the bear. The papers picked up the story, and a cartoonist named Clifford Berryman immortalized the incident in a political cartoon, drawing an analogy about Roosevelt's fairness as both a hunter and in resolving the border issues.

My great-grandfather, who had a small store in Brooklyn and was a great admirer of the President, put the cartoon in the window, along with a small stuffed bear that my great-grandmother made that they labeled "Teddy's bear". The display drew a lot of attention, eventually leading to a toy distributor offering to buy as many bears as they could make. The bears became so popular that my great-grandfather went into the toy business full time, starting the Ideal Toy Company.

Supposedly, my great-grandfather wrote to ask Roosevelt's permission to call the bear a Teddy Bear and supposedly Roosevelt wrote back to say, "I don't know what good my name will do, but go ahead". The letter was lost a long time ago. In any case, nobody ever registered or copyrighted the name, so it became the term for everyone's stuffed animals. Oh well!

So here's the teddy bear story: Theodore ("Teddy") Roosevelt was known to be an avid sportsman and hunter. On one occasion, while he was down south to settle a border dispute, his host decided to tie a bear to a tree so the President could go home with a trophy. Teddy felt it was unsportsmanlike and refused to shoot the bear. The papers picked up the story, and a cartoonist named Clifford Berryman immortalized the incident in a political cartoon, drawing an analogy about Roosevelt's fairness as both a hunter and in resolving the border issues.

My great-grandfather, who had a small store in Brooklyn and was a great admirer of the President, put the cartoon in the window, along with a small stuffed bear that my great-grandmother made that they labeled "Teddy's bear". The display drew a lot of attention, eventually leading to a toy distributor offering to buy as many bears as they could make. The bears became so popular that my great-grandfather went into the toy business full time, starting the Ideal Toy Company.

Supposedly, my great-grandfather wrote to ask Roosevelt's permission to call the bear a Teddy Bear and supposedly Roosevelt wrote back to say, "I don't know what good my name will do, but go ahead". The letter was lost a long time ago. In any case, nobody ever registered or copyrighted the name, so it became the term for everyone's stuffed animals. Oh well!

adguru - What a great great story of the origins of the name 'Teddy bear' !! I've to help spread the word out !! Thanks very much for sharing this and your great grandfather lived in an age where people care more about the product than trademarks and patents. It is still a pride to know that your great grandfather coined that term.