New to LV - Why don't people like patina?

I also prefer darker, patina'd bags. But there are only a few mono bags that I like so I usually don't have to worry about it. What I don't like is when the leather is so patina'd and dirty that it's BLACK.

I think some people don't like patina because it's so tricky to get it to acquire an even patina. If not cared for properly, it will show patina but unevenly, and with spots or marks that make the bag look dirty! Personally, I like my bags to look pristine and "new", but that's because i just recently started buying LV bags - so i'll still have to wait and see if i will end up loving it more when it looks quite chic and vintage-y with it's patina'd handles! :smile:

Personally I love the look of patina! When I first got my Speedy (2.5 yrs ago) I was very worried that it was darkening unevenly, but now I just let it go- I figured there would be no way to keep the color even and it would happen again if I replaced the handles. So not only do I love patina, I have those "dirty" or "black" spots and they don't bother me (well, OK, they still do a little...). Then again, I am a big fan of the "vintage" or "lived-in" look so I might be a little biased, lol.

I look forward to the day my Speedy has a honey patina; but I hate dirty looking black handles.
My handles still look clean and light. I don't use any protector, other than Love Handles handle wraps. I take them off when I get home, or I'm not using my Speedy and try to let my handles tan bit in the light.

I guess some people just don't like the really dark patina, especially if some parts are black and uneven. I also read some don't like patina with the Azur pieces because it doesn't match. Personally I love the patina and wish my newer bag would get much darker already. It's already a light honey color but I want it to be darker.

I don't mind patina- except if it's black and dirty looking- that's not what I think patina should look like. I have an older bag with honey colored patina and I think it looks great on the bag.

I'm new to LV, but have seen and known about them for years. The monogram bags are trimmed in vachetta leather that naturally darkens/patina over time. I thought that was one of the good things about the bag, but now I wonder. I see where a lot of people are having the vachetta replaced if it gets to dark or are trying to keep the vachetta light. Is this just preference or if the leather gets to dark, does it mean it is wearing out?

Thanks!
It's personal preference. To be honest, I like a dark patina more because it shows that a bag is well travelled. In fact, the purpose of the vachetta (VVN) leather is to get darker and stained etc. as a bag is used because LV is originally a luggage company, and VVN was originally used on trunks. The darker the leather was, the more well-off the owner of the luggage was perceived to be, because it showed they traveled more. That's why when my pieces get darker or even stained, I am happy because it shows that my piece is being used for what it was made for.