New to LV and seeking recommendations

Jun 5, 2007
Hi everyone! :smile: Longtime lurker on TPF (since 2007!) but only recently starting posting.

I have finally decided to purchase a premier designer bag after a couple of decades of purchasing ones at the contemporary designer price point (Coach, Tory Burch, D&B). A few of those bags have been much used and well-loved, but I'd really like to have a collection of perhaps 3 designer bags that can get me through 99% of the situations I'd need them for. After reading threads here on TPF, I am specifically attracted to LV for the quality of workmanship, the (relatively!) affordable price point, and for LV's commitment to the customer (repairs/recalls/etc) after the sale, as well as the fact that these bags (esp mono) seem to hold their value fairly well. I will say that my favorite bag I ever owned, and that I STILL mourn the loss of, was the Coach Ali Leather Legacy Flap Shoulder Bag in Whiskey with the striped lining...that bag was perfection for my style/lifestyle. I adored it and wore it until the strap split and couldn't be fixed, and if Coach ever reissued it I would buy it in a heartbeat!

For my first purchase, I'd like to find a crossbody bag (bonus points if it can also be worn as a shoulder bag) in a mid-tone brown, with a budget of up to $2500. It needs to fit a small wallet/card case (bonus points for fitting a full size wallet), both an eyeglass and sunglass case, a pocket sized planner (3x5), keys, my regrettably large iPhone XS Max (seemed like a great idea when I bought it, but now I curse its size!), and a small Longchamp zippered pouch that holds lip balm, lipstick, emergency Tylenol, etc. Ideally it would be a bag that 10 years from now I could still wear without it looking dated.

I am a stay at home wife and mom in my late 40s, so my life is pretty casual 99% of the time. In terms of the way I dress, think Kristen Bell in The Good Place (skinny jeans, sweater, button downs, with flats/loafers/Stan Smiths) or J Crew with a dash of Rails. I'm only 5'0" and a size 4, so some bags that average to taller people wear well overwhelm me and look kind of ridiculous.

I love the DE print, and the mono is growing on me (I think I OD'd on Coach's mono back in the early to mid 2000s and am just now starting to get over it, lol). I have had several friends tell me I should just get the Neverfull MM or PM because it's so versatile and useful and that I won't mind that it's not a crossbody, but the fact that it's open on top makes me really nervous to use it as an everyday bag. I have a HUGE crush on the Pochette Metis in the reverse mono print (but some say it can be harder to style than the mono??), and I also like the Alma BB in DE, but I wonder if maybe it looks a tad too dressy/structured for my usual attire. Unfortunately I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere right now, 4 hours away from the nearest store that would actually have any LV I could see in person, but my husband and I have a trip to Hawaii that we're planning for late spring (fingers crossed we're vaccinated by then!) when I could see and try on the bags in person. I would love some recommendations for other LV bags I should consider from the devoted and knowledgeable fans on the LV board! There are also a couple of Gucci bags that have caught my eye that I'd consider too, so feel free to chime in on those as well.

If you've gotten through this post, thank you for reading! And thank you in advance for any recommendations or insights you might be able to provide.

PS -- On other threads, people have mentioned the PM being "hard to get". Please tell me this isn't a thing like Hermes where you have to buy a certain number of bags before you're offered one of these for purchase!?! I'm afraid I don't have the budget or patience for that.

Have you looked at the entire LV website for their offerings? I can think of a few bags that might work, but if you already saw them online, I think there's a reason why you wouldn't have mentioned them. Do you care for vachetta maintenance btw? Or would you rather have treated leather?

LV doesn't require you to have a purchase history in order to buy a bag, unlike Hermes Kelly or Birkin. If you have a good relationship with an LV CA, he/she will be more inclined to help you get limited pieces, since those can sell out within weeks, never to be seen again. Pochette metis is just so popular that it tends to fly off the shelves + website. Personally, I don't like reverse mono anything. Some people call it "peanut butter," I call it "poo." The reverse mono is harder to style because the color grabs your eye moreso than regular mono. The peanut butter color is the statement, so now you have style it in a way where things don't clash with it.

Alma BB is easy to dress up and down. Plenty of people use it as their casual bag, but it is small. I don't think it will fit all the things you have in mind.

LV is currently behind on production, because of the pandemic btw. Not all stores have plenty of stock, so there's no guarantee that the boutique in Hawaii will have the bags you're thinking of to try on.

Have you looked at the Speedy 25 Bandouliere in DE? For what you are describing that you want, it is all of those things. Crossbody or shoulder bag, and plenty of room for its size. Plus, it would look good on someone your height. The Alma BB is adorable, but I do not think it would be as versatile. The Speedy is also the classic Louis Vuitton for your first bag.

Alma bb is quite small for what you want to carry. Even the pochette Métis is small. I recommend a speedy b in 25 or 30. It comes with a three piece strap which you can use 2 pieces as a shoulder bag or 3 as a crossbody. It can also be used hand held. Classic and never goes out of style. De would be good in all weather. Good luck deciding.

Like minds, lol.

+1 to the Speedy B 25 in DE. I just purchased this as my first Louis and it’s great for everyday. It will fit everything you mentioned (and some more). You can wear it crossbody, shoulder, or in the crook of your arm. I love the DE print since I can wear it in all four seasons, and we have snow and rain here. I also love how timeless it is.

I’m around the same size - 5’3”, size 0-2. Here’s some pics wearing it. You can make the straps shorter when wearing on your shoulder (I was just lazy when taking the photo and didn’t take out the extra strap to shorten it.)
4B1283A7-8B14-4B0F-8D4C-9EF63113E20E.jpegDE913670-7949-42A1-A039-3689783B4400.jpeg6172A478-2018-416D-A01F-F89AC728311A.jpeg
edited to add: definitely go with your gut...if you love the PM and can’t get it out of your head, go with that! No one warned me that after you buy one LV, you’re addicted...so this probably won’t be your last :lol:

Last edited:
Have you looked at the entire LV website for their offerings? I can think of a few bags that might work, but if you already saw them online, I think there's a reason why you wouldn't have mentioned them. Do you care for vachetta maintenance btw? Or would you rather have treated leather?

LV doesn't require you to have a purchase history in order to buy a bag, unlike Hermes Kelly or Birkin. If you have a good relationship with an LV CA, he/she will be more inclined to help you get limited pieces, since those can sell out within weeks, never to be seen again. Pochette metis is just so popular that it tends to fly off the shelves + website. Personally, I don't like reverse mono anything. Some people call it "peanut butter," I call it "poo." The reverse mono is harder to style because the color grabs your eye moreso than regular mono. The peanut butter color is the statement, so now you have style it in a way where things don't clash with it.

Alma BB is easy to dress up and down. Plenty of people use it as their casual bag, but it is small. I don't think it will fit all the things you have in mind.

LV is currently behind on production, because of the pandemic btw. Not all stores have plenty of stock, so there's no guarantee that the boutique in Hawaii will have the bags you're thinking of to try on.
Hi @daisy913 , and thank you for your thoughtful reply! :smile:

Yes, I have checked out the entire website -- but admittedly it's a bit overwhelming for a newbie!

I would prefer the treated leather (which is part of why I was attracted to the reverse mono in the Pochette Metis initially), but I also really like the patina that the Vachetta can get, if it's acquired evenly. I've read a bit about the protectants that can be used to help with that and I'd definitely be willing to put in the effort for the right bag.

Thanks for explaining about the purchase history issue! It might be difficult from where I'm living (middle of nowhere) to establish a relationship with a CA, but I've read that once you purchase something in person in HI once they will accept phone orders from you in the future -- true?

I watched some YouTube videos yesterday about the PM in reverse mono -- specifically ones where people were styling outfits around them -- and I now understand what you're saying about it being more of a challenge. I LOVE the look of it on its own, but am now thinking if it's the bag I end up getting, the mono is the way to go.

Pretty much everyone who has responded agrees with you on the Alma BB, so I've crossed that one off my list.

And yes, I have read the threads about the stock issues...I just figured that it was better to be able to see and try some in person rather than just order online if I can help it. I am a little scared given how many threads I've read about bags people have ordered online being less than perfect when they arrived. I realize that may end up being what I have to do, but I've never set foot in an LV store, so I'd at least like to go for the experience. :smile:

Thank you again for your kind reply! It is much appreciated. :smile:

Reactions: Emily111
Have you looked at the Speedy 25 Bandouliere in DE? For what you are describing that you want, it is all of those things. Crossbody or shoulder bag, and plenty of room for its size. Plus, it would look good on someone your height. The Alma BB is adorable, but I do not think it would be as versatile. The Speedy is also the classic Louis Vuitton for your first bag.
@cbarrus and @snibor yes, I have considered the Speedy 25, and your recommendation seems to be the popular one! Specifically, I was in fact looking at the Bandouliere in DE. I have 2 specific concerns about it that I was wondering what your thoughts might be.

1) I've read some people say the Speedy can be a "black hole" and almost have a little "too much" room in it. I tend to be one of those people who will take up as much space as she has, lol! With larger bags I've had, this has tended to be an issue, even with organizers. One of the things I loved about my Coach Ali was that it hit that sweet spot of "just enough" room that encouraged me to keep it clean and clutter free, and it had a pseudo-exterior pocket where I could put my cell phone. I was a little concerned that with the Speedy I'd have to use an organizer, and I really like the way the Pochette Metis is divided on the inside and has both the exterior zippered pocket and the smaller internal pocket, which could potentially store my phone.

2) I tend to like bags that sit flatter against my body, which is also part of why I was attracted to the PM. How "barrel shaped" is the Speedy 25 in actual use? It looks pretty cylindrical in the photos on the website, but sometimes a bit more "collapsed" in action photos.

Thank you both so much for sharing your thoughts. :smile:

+1 to the Speedy B 25 in DE. I just purchased this as my first Louis and it’s great for everyday. It will fit everything you mentioned (and some more). You can wear it crossbody, shoulder, or in the crook of your arm. I love the DE print since I can wear it in all four seasons, and we have snow and rain here. I also love how timeless it is.

I’m around the same size - 5’3”, size 0-2. Here’s some pics wearing it. You can make the straps shorter when wearing on your shoulder (I was just lazy when taking the photo and didn’t take out the extra strap to shorten it.)
View attachment 4970820View attachment 4970821View attachment 4970822
edited to add: definitely go with your gut...if you love the PM and can’t get it out of your head, go with that! No one warned me that after you buy one LV, you’re addicted...so this probably won’t be your last :lol:
Thank you so much for your kind reply, and for the photos (it's gorgeous on you!!!)! As I mentioned in another reply, I definitely am considering the Speedy B25 in DE, and it's one of the bags I'd hoped to try on in person in Hawaii. We have rain and lots of snow where I live too, so I agree that it would be very practical in our weather...and I also love that, as you mention, it's one of the timeless styles that will never look dated.

What are your thoughts on the "cylindrical" shape of the bag in its actual use? I tend to prefer bags that sit flatter to my body, and won't ever carry this one in the crook of my arm if I end up purchasing it. Also, do you use an organizer with yours?

And yes, I am definitely seeing that this first one I purchase probably won't be my last!

@cbarrus and @snibor yes, I have considered the Speedy 25, and your recommendation seems to be the popular one! Specifically, I was in fact looking at the Bandouliere in DE. I have 2 specific concerns about it that I was wondering what your thoughts might be.

1) I've read some people say the Speedy can be a "black hole" and almost have a little "too much" room in it. I tend to be one of those people who will take up as much space as she has, lol! With larger bags I've had, this has tended to be an issue, even with organizers. One of the things I loved about my Coach Ali was that it hit that sweet spot of "just enough" room that encouraged me to keep it clean and clutter free, and it had a pseudo-exterior pocket where I could put my cell phone. I was a little concerned that with the Speedy I'd have to use an organizer, and I really like the way the Pochette Metis is divided on the inside and has both the exterior zippered pocket and the smaller internal pocket, which could potentially store my phone.

2) I tend to like bags that sit flatter against my body, which is also part of why I was attracted to the PM. How "barrel shaped" is the Speedy 25 in actual use? It looks pretty cylindrical in the photos on the website, but sometimes a bit more "collapsed" in action photos.

I have the 30, and while it can be a bit of a black hole, I use different pouches rather than an organizer (PA, small cosmetic, etc.). I like the "sag," too, lol. If a bag is too structured, I feel that I have to fight it to get everything in its place. I am also not a fan of flap bags. It is a personal preference, so you should really get the one that you are most drawn to if you're going to make the investment.

Reactions: noellesmommy
Thank you so much for your kind reply, and for the photos (it's gorgeous on you!!!)! As I mentioned in another reply, I definitely am considering the Speedy B25 in DE, and it's one of the bags I'd hoped to try on in person in Hawaii. We have rain and lots of snow where I live too, so I agree that it would be very practical in our weather...and I also love that, as you mention, it's one of the timeless styles that will never look dated.

What are your thoughts on the "cylindrical" shape of the bag in its actual use? I tend to prefer bags that sit flatter to my body, and won't ever carry this one in the crook of my arm if I end up purchasing it. Also, do you use an organizer with yours?

And yes, I am definitely seeing that this first one I purchase probably won't be my last!

I also usually prefer bags to be flatter against me. The bag does mold a bit to your body, especially when you wear it crossbody. The pictures on the LV website make it look like it always holds its shape, but I don't find that to be the case unless you were to stuff it to the brim or had some sort of bag shaper.

I don't have an organizer because I prefer the slouchy, less "cylindrical" shape. I do wish that it had a pocket on the inside for my phone! It has one small zippered pocket, but not good for a phone. I also live in a city, so I find that crossbody is best to keep my bag out of the way of people and harder for someone to snatch.

All that to say, it sounds like you love the PM (makes sense, it's a beautiful bag!), and the PM hits all your criteria. The speedy is a classic, so I'm pretty sure it will always be there if you wanted to get one later!

Maybe you can try the bags? I tend to like smaller bags but I wasn’t crazy about pochette Métis. It was smaller than I thought.your best bet is to put your things in it and try. I love speedy b 25 but that’s me. I find it easy to use. But it may not be for you. Good luck deciding

Hi @daisy913 , and thank you for your thoughtful reply! :smile:

Yes, I have checked out the entire website -- but admittedly it's a bit overwhelming for a newbie!

I would prefer the treated leather (which is part of why I was attracted to the reverse mono in the Pochette Metis initially), but I also really like the patina that the Vachetta can get, if it's acquired evenly. I've read a bit about the protectants that can be used to help with that and I'd definitely be willing to put in the effort for the right bag.

Thanks for explaining about the purchase history issue! It might be difficult from where I'm living (middle of nowhere) to establish a relationship with a CA, but I've read that once you purchase something in person in HI once they will accept phone orders from you in the future -- true?

I watched some YouTube videos yesterday about the PM in reverse mono -- specifically ones where people were styling outfits around them -- and I now understand what you're saying about it being more of a challenge. I LOVE the look of it on its own, but am now thinking if it's the bag I end up getting, the mono is the way to go.

Pretty much everyone who has responded agrees with you on the Alma BB, so I've crossed that one off my list.

And yes, I have read the threads about the stock issues...I just figured that it was better to be able to see and try some in person rather than just order online if I can help it. I am a little scared given how many threads I've read about bags people have ordered online being less than perfect when they arrived. I realize that may end up being what I have to do, but I've never set foot in an LV store, so I'd at least like to go for the experience. :smile:

Thank you again for your kind reply! It is much appreciated. :smile:
Ok. This is going to be a long post lol

Based on what you said is your favorite bag (Coach Ali), these bags have a similar look/feel. Odeon and South Bank Besace seem to be popular choices here for casual crossbody/long shoulder bags. I don't see them that often in my local boutique, but as soon as summer hits, they start popping up in the wild. Odeon comes in a bb size too.
Screenshot_2021-01-27-10-07-44-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-10-10-57-1.png

Although a bit bigger than what you might be looking for, Beauborg, Siena, and Rivoli. Beauborg is a little too flashy for me, but I threw it in there since it's a flap bag. Siena is a popular bag at my boutique. I always see someone asking for it when I'm there. My CA said that people who like Neverfull but want more security tend to go for Siena. Rivoli is definitely a little more dressy, but I've seen people wear it with a t-shirt and jeans. My grandma loves her Rivoli because it's not too heavy (she's 87). She also likes that she can put more things in it, if needed.
Screenshot_2021-01-27-10-12-03-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-10-10-23-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-10-08-19-1.png

Other bags you might like: Marignan and Beaumarchais are both flap bags. They're a little more "equestrian-looking" than I prefer, but both bags are nice in person. Can be dressed up or down. I feel like they look best with jeans, button down, and a blazer -a little too "smart" for my tastes lol Graceful is an open bag with magnet closure (I think). Also a popular bag in my boutique. Because it's a shoulder bag, your arms will actually do a good job of keeping it inaccesible. It also slouches (hobo bag) so the opening will naturally flop over a bit, making it less of an open bag. V Tote BB is casual and fun imo. There's an MM size, but it would be over your budget.
Screenshot_2021-01-27-10-09-17-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-10-11-17-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-10-13-03-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-10-17-47-1.png

Now for my personal favorites for everyday: Neonoe and Montaigne. Neonoe is nice and light. You can fill it to the brim, or keep a few things inside. I can fit an umbrella and water bottle, perfect for when I'm running errands. Neonoe is my go to everyday bag, and I keep adding more. Montaigne BB would be in your budget, but it might run a little small. I have the MM size and prefer it a lot more. I like Montaigne because it can easily be dressed up or down. Both bags are open, but unless you really don't pay attention to your belongings, I don't think they should be a problem. You're a target when someone can tell you're preoccupied. Soufflot MM (treated leather) is another option. Soufflot BB is small and expensive, and Soufflot MM is expensive. Soufflot is very well made though, albeit heavy. It's quality is more similar to early 2000s LV bags, when the canvas and lining felt thicker and more substantial. It's the quality a lot of longtime LV collectors miss.
Screenshot_2021-01-27-10-13-50-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-10-15-25-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-11-15-57-1.png