New to eBay Selling

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Although I am not new to eBay buying, I am new to selling. I have my first 4 bags up for auction. I have a few more to post, but am waiting to see how the first ones progress. When posting the bags, I had some difficulty figuring out postage. I am shipping in USPS/eBay boxes that are labeled Priority Mail and Flat Rate. Aren't the rates different for Priority Mail and Flat Rate? I don't want to get to the PO and find out I have shipped in the wrong boxes. None of the boxes is going to weigh more than 3 lbs. On a couple of the auctions I used the shipping calculator, on another I used a flat rate, just because I really didn't know what I was doing. In the future I will stick to the shipping calculator. I am also including insurance into the shipping cost, because it will protect me. I would really appreciate some advice from experienced sellers about how they determine which rate to ship at. UPS is too far from my house to be convenient, so I am only considering USPS.

2. Hi Jane- you are positive they won't weigh more than 3 pounds with the box and shipping materials added?

You can mail priority in your own box or priority in a flatrate FREE box provided by USPS. The good thing about the flatrate boxes is postage is the same regardless of weight.

Yes, I REQUIRE insurance on my packages and you also have to factor in the $1.80 for signature confirmation if the TOTAL (purchase + shipping) is more than $250. I usually do it on anything more than $200.

3. Right, so if the item is light it will probably be alot cheaper than the flatrate. I made this mistake once by shipping something light in a flatrate box and paid almost double!