New to Balenciaga

Mar 14, 2010
Hi Hi! I am looking to get my very first Balenciaga 😁 but still don't really know a whole lot about the differences in all the various styles!

At first I was thinking of getting a first because I really like the way it looks, but then I realized that the shoulder strap isn't long enough to wear crossbody (which is kinda what I was looking for)

Then I went into my local balenciaga boutique to look at town and my SA ended up bringing out the velo too. I looked at town in black and velo in cumin and immediately feel in love with the velo because of the color. My SA said that they don't have town in that color so right now I'm leaning toward velo because of the color. And I want to be able to wear my bag on my shoulders with the top handles and was thinking maybe the town is a little too small to be worn that way (at least it felt small when I tried it on and the bag was empty so not sure how it'd be with stuff in it)

Because I'm so new to balenciaga, I'm wondering do they make all styles in all colors? Is it possible to get a town in cumin later on? My SA said that color is rare (?) and they don't get very many of them so when they do it sells out fast!

Also, I see lots of posts about bags from different years and the different colors... Do the colors change every season/year? How do you know which year your bag is from? Are the bags that I'm currently looking at 2013 because that's the year we're in? Or could it be a 2012?!

Sorry for all the questions (and for the long post!)... As you can see, I know very little about balenciaga... Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there and welcome to Balenciaga world! Check out this thread for info on colors for each season http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-colors-by-season/
They do change each season, different boutiques order different styles in these colors, so you have to search which one has the style you want in the right color. That's what makes it all the more exciting. Your best chance might be for a resale bag, if the color is from a previous season. Good luck with your hunt!

Hi there and welcome to Balenciaga world! Check out this thread for info on colors for each season http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-colors-by-season/
They do change each season, different boutiques order different styles in these colors, so you have to search which one has the style you want in the right color. That's what makes it all the more exciting. Your best chance might be for a resale bag, if the color is from a previous season. Good luck with your hunt!

Thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate all the help/info I can get...

I've pretty much decided on the velo... I think it's exactly what I'm looking for in terms of size and versatility. However, I'm still stuck on the color as well as the hardware.... Decisions, decisions! So far, I've only looked at the regular hardware in person but after looking at tons and tons of pictures on this forum, I'm kinda liking the giant 12 rose gold hardware too! Is it true that there's not much difference in weight?! Also, the giant 12 bags don't have the tassels right?!

I think the cumin is F/W 2012 color, is that correct? If so, it will be harder to find in the future I would think. I'm pretty new to Bal so other people with far more experience may have more information...

I think the cumin is F/W 2012 color, is that correct? If so, it will be harder to find in the future I would think. I'm pretty new to Bal so other people with far more experience may have more information...

Thanks for your response! As much as I loved the cumin I decided to go with black in the end. I wanted to get something that I could use for traveling as well as take out to a nice dinner so black it is!!!

Hi Hi! I am looking to get my very first Balenciaga dde01 but still don't really know a whole lot about the differences in all the various styles!

At first I was thinking of getting a first because I really like the way it looks, but then I realized that the shoulder strap isn't long enough to wear crossbody (which is kinda what I was looking for)

Then I went into my local balenciaga boutique to look at town and my SA ended up bringing out the velo too. I looked at town in black and velo in cumin and immediately feel in love with the velo because of the color. My SA said that they don't have town in that color so right now I'm leaning toward velo because of the color. And I want to be able to wear my bag on my shoulders with the top handles and was thinking maybe the town is a little too small to be worn that way (at least it felt small when I tried it on and the bag was empty so not sure how it'd be with stuff in it)

Because I'm so new to balenciaga, I'm wondering do they make all styles in all colors? Is it possible to get a town in cumin later on? My SA said that color is rare (?) and they don't get very many of them so when they do it sells out fast!

Also, I see lots of posts about bags from different years and the different colors... Do the colors change every season/year? How do you know which year your bag is from? Are the bags that I'm currently looking at 2013 because that's the year we're in? Or could it be a 2012?!

Sorry for all the questions (and for the long post!)... As you can see, I know very little about balenciaga... Any help/input would be greatly appreciated!

Im in the same boat here 😊 I know nothing about balenciaga, and wanna buy crossbody. And is still debating whether to get town, or velo.. Anyway, i went to neiman marcus to try on bags, but have no clue which one is which.. Lol

So, what do you think about the town?

*sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread* :smile: :smile:

Im in the same boat here dde0a I know nothing about balenciaga, and wanna buy crossbody. And is still debating whether to get town, or velo.. Anyway, i went to neiman marcus to try on bags, but have no clue which one is which.. Lol

So, what do you think about the town?

*sorry i dont mean to hijack your thread* :smile: :smile:

No no, you're not hijacking at all! =) I totally know how you feel... I spent days pouring over this forum trying to learn as much as I could and then when I finally went in to the store to check it out I was even more confused between all the styles, colors, and types of hardware!

The town is a really cute crossbody option! However, the reason I ended up getting the velo is because the town is a little too small for what I was looking for. I wanted a crossbody bag that would be good for traveling and putting lots of stuff inside! I guess it just depends on how much you usually carry around with you.... If you usually just carry a few things like you wallet, keys, and sunglasses then the town might work for you. But if you like to carry more with you, I'd recommend the velo.

Good luck choosing! Looking forward to see what you end up with! I plan on posting pictures of my velo soon!!!!

No no, you're not hijacking at all! =) I totally know how you feel... I spent days pouring over this forum trying to learn as much as I could and then when I finally went in to the store to check it out I was even more confused between all the styles, colors, and types of hardware!

The town is a really cute crossbody option! However, the reason I ended up getting the velo is because the town is a little too small for what I was looking for. I wanted a crossbody bag that would be good for traveling and putting lots of stuff inside! I guess it just depends on how much you usually carry around with you.... If you usually just carry a few things like you wallet, keys, and sunglasses then the town might work for you. But if you like to carry more with you, I'd recommend the velo.

Good luck choosing! Looking forward to see what you end up with! I plan on posting pictures of my velo soon!!!!

Thank you for explaining :biggrin: please do post the pictures!!!! :smile:

I'd love to see your new velo ....

I have a velo and a town (and a city and a hip..) - I use the town the most. I think the size of the town is actually deceiving..

Right this second I have in mine: wallet, sunglasses case, phone, kindle, 3 sets of keys, compact, perfume, a big jar of neurocalm, iPad air, 4 lipstick/glosses (?!??) and some random note papers and pens from work. as an everyday bag I think it's great. I can usually stash my lunch in there too before heading to work. and a small umbrella if needed.

but yeah, if I was heading off on a plane or needed to carry a cosmetics bag or an extra sweater or anything I'd probably go for my velo.

I never carry my city - I like cross body straps better. (anyone want to buy hardly-used black gsh city? lol)