New to bags can someone tell me who's at the top?

soxcoco7

Aug 15, 2020
So I’ve been looking in the designer handbags and there’s so many brands and I’m trying to figure out who would be like the top five brands to buy designer handbag from besides Hermes ( cause duh on that one lol). I know people say just get the bags you like and all that but I would really like to know like who is still relevant in at the top.

Sep 22, 2019
Any of the Premier brands should be safe bets. That's such a subjective concept, that there are bound to be lots of different opinions. I'd suggest looking at the current offerings of the Premier brands and seeing which brand(s) best fit your style and your life. And I strongly suggest also looking into Contemporary brands. Many of them have high quality, beautiful, and relevant bags.

soxcoco7

Aug 15, 2020
Why does being relevant/at the top matter? Are you buying for status or as an investment?

I know this could sound pathetic I guess but for the first one it’s more of a status I mean in my opinion they are kind of a status bag

Reactions: JenJBS

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
It’s pretty subjective imo.
Unless “top” means priced highest?

Sparkletastic

Jun 18, 2012
Qo'noS
I know this could sound pathetic I guess but for the first one it’s more of a status I mean in my opinion they are kind of a status bag
Don’t feel bad about wanting a “status” bag. I’d bet if most on here were honest and self aware they’d admit status is at least a part of the buying decision. :rolleyes: Otherwise, we’d all just have very well made bags from Etsy or a local leather craftsman.

It’s hard to say which are the top 5. Sometimes a brand can run cold for a bit and then get rejuvenated. Also, to some extent the perceived status of a bag is regional and generational. I’ll throw out my list in no particular order for whatever it’s worth. These are the bags that are likely most recognizable by purse hounds and regular folk alike. And, they are good quality though overpriced. But, it’s luxury, right so... :lol:

Chanel
Dior
Louis Vuitton
Fendi
Gucci

Don’t be afraid to get a bag or two that you just adore. Trust me. After years of chasing this or that, the bags I have kept, wear and love are ones that are just right for me.

One last note, there are beautiful, well made bags from high end players in non bag categories that get very little attention on tPF like Bvlgari or Cartier. A true cuckoo purse lover like me would notice your bag and smile at the quality and style you’re displaying. Others probably would “just” see a pretty bag.

And, welcome to the world of handbag collecting! Share a pic of your first score!

earthygirl

Apr 20, 2018
Please don’t apologize or demean yourself. You asked a fair question. I think poopsie‘s response was irrelevant. I agree with sparkletastic that if most were honest and self aware they’d admit that status was part of their motivation in buying luxury bags. You shouldn’t be shamed on this forum especially! There are enough haters IRL.

To answer your question, aside from Hermes, this is my list:
1) Chanel (as much as people complain about price increases And decrease in quality, they keep purchasing these overpriced but beautiful bags— including myself!)
2) Dior (most notably the lady dior bag—high quality and great customer service seem to be why)
3)Goyard (an elusive brand with loads of “chicness”)
4)Fendi (esp the peekaboo and baguette but overall it’s a sexy luxury brand imo...at least until it becomes over saturated like LV canvas bags and Gucci bags)
5) I have to say LV... not for me but it seems the rest of the world loves their canvas bags. personally, I think their leather bags dont seem timeless enough, and all of their bags kind of look the same to me... but hey...to each their own.

hope this helps!

LemonDrop

I think I’m loving Fendi
O.G.
Jul 5, 2007
USA
You can get an idea of who is most popular by looking at the posts in the designer forums. For example the Louis Vuitton forum has 4.9 million posts while Burberry has 95,000. I get bummed when I buy a new bag from a designer that the forum isn't very active on here. No one to talk too. :giggle:

earthygirl

Apr 20, 2018
You can get an idea of who is most popular by looking at the posts in the designer forums. For example the Louis Vuitton forum has 4.9 million posts while Burberry has 95,000. I get bummed when I buy a new bag from a designer that the forum isn't very active on here. No one to talk too. :giggle:
Me too...I just bought a strathberry crescent shoulder bag in the vanilla/ diamond color and I’m sooo in love with it, but there’s hardly anything about this bag on the purseforum and you tube.

• Love
Reactions: LemonDrop

earthygirl

Apr 20, 2018
This reply makes me almost unreasonably happy.
There's no real order anymore. Hermes may cost 3 x another average designer bag, but a contemporary bag from a new company may be far more cool to carry on a street in Paris.

Hierarchy of the status of brands is a very outmoded concept IMO
True...
it’s how you wear the bag! Whatever bag that may be!

jayohwhy

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
I feel like bags are like art or wine-- purchase should be primarily based on what you like. Value will fluctuate due to trends but if you are buying a bag to use, choose something that you will enjoy and a style that works with your lifestyle.

Egel

Mar 9, 2020
If status is a thing, do not only go for the brands that are already mentioned but also go for the most exotic leather. Things like snakeskin, alligator. lizzard or ostrich.

If you are wearing a bag to show off, your bag does not need to be a workhorse so you can go for the more delicate leathers.

You can also look at heritage. If a brand is already known for years and years, it will probably not go anywhere soon.

Reactions: Sparkletastic

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
San Diego
Please don’t apologize or demean yourself. You asked a fair question. I think poopsie‘s response was irrelevant. I agree with sparkletastic that if most were honest and self aware they’d admit that status was part of their motivation in buying luxury bags. You shouldn’t be shamed on this forum especially! There are enough haters IRL.

To answer your question, aside from Hermes, this is my list:
1) Chanel (as much as people complain about price increases And decrease in quality, they keep purchasing these overpriced but beautiful bags— including myself!)
2) Dior (most notably the lady dior bag—high quality and great customer service seem to be why)
3)Goyard (an elusive brand with loads of “chicness”)
4)Fendi (esp the peekaboo and baguette but overall it’s a sexy luxury brand imo...at least until it becomes over saturated like LV canvas bags and Gucci bags)
5) I have to say LV... not for me but it seems the rest of the world loves their canvas bags. personally, I think their leather bags dont seem timeless enough, and all of their bags kind of look the same to me... but hey...to each their own.

hope this helps!
I think you can disagree with another member w/o calling her post irrelelevant