Black or Dark Navy?

• Black

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Navy

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
Mar 19, 2007
Hi folks,

I've been contemplating about getting a new tote bag. I have the St Louis GM in orange that I purchased in 2002.

Now I want a PM size. Should I go for black or dark navy? When I browse on Pinterest for inspiration pics, I see so many girls with the black one, fewer with the navy. What's with that? I just feel that I have too many black bags and navy would be a nice, subtle twist. I'm in Southern California, so the color scheme is light. What do you all think?

What was your decision process like? Some inspiration pics from Pinterest.
475381300a1b4e04377de50d262073a9.jpg37775ebb029eae69b7791f5a5c28f4d9.jpg

Reactions: chloebagfreak
I have both colors. Have you seen the navy in person? It actually looks much more of a true navy in person then the photo you attached which looks more blue. IMO it's not worth the mark up to get a color - I feel like it's easily mistaken for black.

Yeah, I don't have the right pics to demonstrate. The navy is navy, and from far away or in dimmer lighting, it just looks black. Except in direct sunlight it looks navy.

I'm going back and forth on this one.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I've been contemplating about getting a new tote bag. I have the St Louis GM in orange that I purchased in 2002.

Now I want a PM size. Should I go for black or dark navy? When I browse on Pinterest for inspiration pics, I see so many girls with the black one, fewer with the navy. What's with that? I just feel that I have too many black bags and navy would be a nice, subtle twist. I'm in Southern California, so the color scheme is light. What do you all think?

What was your decision process like? Some inspiration pics from Pinterest.
View attachment 4764628View attachment 4764629
How exciting! I think they are both stunning...which would go better with your wardrobe? I tend to wear denim and white, so I’d probably get the black. I actually have the lighter blue in the PM. I’m so in love with it. It actually became my bug out bag for the fires here in Calif. it holds so much, and I kept throwing more stuff inside:smile:
I was thinking about an orange one next:smile:

Reactions: Grande Latte
How exciting! I think they are both stunning...which would go better with your wardrobe? I tend to wear denim and white, so I’d probably get the black. I actually have the lighter blue in the PM. I’m so in love with it. It actually became my bug out bag for the fires here in Calif. it holds so much, and I kept throwing more stuff inside:smile:
I was thinking about an orange one next:smile:

Orange is really BRIGHT. I have the GM in orange. I think it's a quintessential Goyard color, and it's a happy color. But I find it hard to match it with my outfits, so it doesn't get much use. I wish I got it in red or burgundy.

Reactions: chloebagfreak
Orange is really BRIGHT. I have the GM in orange. I think it's a quintessential Goyard color, and it's a happy color. But I find it hard to match it with my outfits, so it doesn't get much use. I wish I got it in red or burgundy.
Cool! Sounds happy:smile:
I have only one orange bag- Bal Tangerine First. I love orange with denim, but I think it definitely is hard to match with some other colors or patterns.

Reactions: Grande Latte
Navy or grey! That’s my preference based on what’s in my closet and the warm climate I live in. When I look at pics online of how people style the black, it looks so chic that I get tempted to buy it. I haven’t pulled the trigger because I just know that if I was wearing a similar outfit I’d rather carry the grey or another color like the light blue or white.

Black on black in the St. Louis is ok but I think the Anjou looks Super luxe in black on black.
hope this helps!

@Grande Latte did you end up getting the bag? I'm about to pull the trigger on the navy...any down sides from anyone? I live in NY but want to wear year round. I think the black might skew alittle heavy for the summer. would love opinions.

@Grande Latte did you end up getting the bag? I'm about to pull the trigger on the navy...any down sides from anyone? I live in NY but want to wear year round. I think the black might skew alittle heavy for the summer. would love opinions.
I have the navy Anjou GM and the black/tan Anjou PM, and I think both work quite well in the summer. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. The navy is pretty dark and from a distance isn’t that distinguishable from the black canvas. But up close, you can tell the difference. I agree with Swanky, the tan and white dots help to lighten up the black bags. Like I said, you can’t go wrong with either one! I think it comes down to whether or not you’re willing to pay extra for a special color. Let us know what you decide!

Unfortunately I can't see the navy in person and will be ordering by phone. is this picture pretty true? pulled from ref section. For those of you with navy, any pix you can add to thread in different lighting? much appreciated!
1607521479626.png

Reactions: viciel
@Rockerchic I don't have any Goyard in navy, but have seen the color in different pieces IRL. It looks more like @annie9999's navy to me. But again, I do think all the colors show differently under different lighting, which makes them all so fun! I will say, it's not like Herme's electric blue or even blue encre, it's a solid navy.

Reactions: Cavalier Girl