New site just opened to compete with ebay, NO final value fees!! Bidpops.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbbbjb

O.G.
Jul 21, 2006
Hi All,

I hope this is ok to post, if not please delete. An acquaintance after several months finally got his auction site open yesterday. He was feed-up with all the fees that eBay charges and the fact that they do not stand by their sellers.

Please check it out and pass it along as this would be a WONDERFUL selling site. It has the basic same format as eBay, but much more protection for sellers. It has such great potential but, we need to help spread the word to get buyers and sellers. Oh, and he only allows authentic items and if their is any question about someone selling unauthentic, he has authenticators and will even go so far as to buy one and check for himself.

It is called www.bidpops.com

Thanks to any and all fellow tpfers who took the time to read this and PLEASE pass it along :smile:

tbbbjb

Thanks for posting, but I don't think that site is going to get many takers the way it is set up.

This part of their user agreement, for instance, makes no sense whatsoever (they apparently copied someone else's user agreement and forgot to change some particulars):

"Law and Forum for Legal Disputes - This Agreement shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of California as they apply to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within Texas between Texas residents, without regard to conflict of law provisions. You agree that any claim or dispute you may have against BidPops.com must be resolved exclusively by a state or federal court located in Tarrant County, Texas except as otherwise agreed by the parties or as described in the Arbitration Option paragraph below. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within Tarrant County, Texas for the purpose of litigating all such claims or disputes."

Further under their user agreement anyone posting content (an auction or item for sale) gives the website owner permission to own the content and pictures and description and they can assert copyright ownership? They can use my description, photos and anything else I post and claim it's theirs?

I don't think so.

After reading their Privacy Policy, it appears it's the Privacy Policy of the software maker that they are using (php bid pro), NOT of the auction website. They haven't written a privacy policy yet?

Further their login page is not secure: http://www.bidpops.com/login.php

To compete with Ebay it takes a secure, well funded website that is run by people who know how to run an ecommerce site, including privacy and legal agreements that are industry standard and fair to both user and owner, and more than anything - state of the art security so that all information is protected and on secure servers.

Out of the box auction software isn't enough to compete. Sorry.

Hi All,

I hope this is ok to post, if not please delete. An acquaintance after several months finally got his auction site open yesterday. He was feed-up with all the fees that eBay charges and the fact that they do not stand by their sellers.

Please check it out and pass it along as this would be a WONDERFUL selling site. It has the basic same format as eBay, but much more protection for sellers. It has such great potential but, we need to help spread the word to get buyers and sellers. Oh, and he only allows authentic items and if their is any question about someone selling unauthentic, he has authenticators and will even go so far as to buy one and check for himself.

It is called www.bidpops.com

Thanks to any and all fellow tpfers who took the time to read this and PLEASE pass it along :smile:

tbbbjb
I'm wondering if I'm understanding correctly. I'm not seeing a site that costs less than ebay. There are no FVF but it costs $.50 per item PLUS $xxx per month, depending how many items a seller has in their store?

So as a hypothetical example, if a seller has a basic store with 200 items, they pay $14.95/month plus 50 cents per item? So it costs them $114.95 per month, whether they sell anything or not?

There aren't any FAQs nor is there much help there but I certainly don't consider $115/month a bargain.

Stores in online auctions are separated from auction style listings as auctions are on an ascending bid basis and store items are flat rate inventory items. You do not have to have a store to sell items, nor do you have to auction items to have a store with a set pricing structure on a given inventory. In a store, your fixed price is set in stone and the items will remain online until sold. In an auction, you are allowed to start bidding at whatever price you like and the price can be up-bid buy potential buyers. I hope this helps.

Thanks for posting, but I don't think that site is going to get many takers the way it is set up.

This part of their user agreement, for instance, makes no sense whatsoever (they apparently copied someone else's user agreement and forgot to change some particulars):

"Law and Forum for Legal Disputes - This Agreement shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of California as they apply to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within Texas between Texas residents, without regard to conflict of law provisions. You agree that any claim or dispute you may have against BidPops.com must be resolved exclusively by a state or federal court located in Tarrant County, Texas except as otherwise agreed by the parties or as described in the Arbitration Option paragraph below. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located within Tarrant County, Texas for the purpose of litigating all such claims or disputes."

Further under their user agreement anyone posting content (an auction or item for sale) gives the website owner permission to own the content and pictures and description and they can assert copyright ownership? They can use my description, photos and anything else I post and claim it's theirs?

I don't think so.

Wow, you really hate this site! WHY? Did you sell something there? Did you work for them?

how would it offer more protection?

www.bidpops.com would stand behind the seller's terms in the auction. As opposed to eBay who says they will and then just takes the money right out of your account before hearing anything but a buyer's complaint. I had not realized how bad it was for sellers' since I had never been more than a casual one (I have been a member since 1999 and only sold 3 items and only when the system had the ability to leave negative feedback for the sellers and buyers), I started selling diamond jewelry (helping out a friend with some listings who is a true wholesale diamond dealer, GIA graduate, member of the jewelry board of trade as well as polygon). I was meet with such scammers (my item was not in the box, the next item sent was supposedly was not what they ordered because for their hard earned $76, the diamonds should be bigger (exact size was stated in the auction and sent)). Then there were people who won it at a certain price and tried to negotiate a lower price or threaten to leave you negative feedback. I would also get negative feedback when the item failed to arrive in the time-frame they wanted even though I wrote specific dates as to the item would ship in *days from received payment if you used the offered free shipping mode. Mind you, these people never ever wanted to pay to get their item next day for example, but if you did not deliver during their arbitrary time-frame, they just gave you a negative. Not because they did not receive the item, not because it was in a different condition then described just because they wanted it sooner and did not tell the seller or want to pay for it. I honestly believed in eBay and Paypal's seller's protection until We ended up losing over $5000 in 3 months, by basically giving it away and doing everything I could possibly think of to appease the buyer and then still end up with them giving me negative feedback. I was just trying to spread a little Christmas cheer as we had some smaller diamonds and wanted to make a good name for myself as a seller on eBay. I figured I would sell them at no reserve, make a little or lose a little but spread some happiness and all I got for my time was scammers, blackmailers, extortionists and constant harassing emails.

Then from other fellow jewelry sellers I found out that people were returning items MONTHS after they had it in their possession and worn it. I know the economy is rough, but if you had bought it in a regular jewelry store you would have only gotten store credit if you were lucky. Ebay is the only place on earth where a buyer can buy something and return it MONTHS later for a full refund for any reason or no reason at all.

I have read all the nightmares here and thought I would just give other people like myself another option to pursue. That is it. I just thought that their must be something better out there and now there is. Does it need a little tweaking, sure, of course as it is new and tiny things will come up but eBay needs a major overhaul. So, all I was trying to do was let people know that their is another new option out there and competition is good.

And with this new site you really have nothing to lose as free listings are being offered for a limited time and there are no final value fees, zip, nada, none. The store thing is just an option that ebay has too, and once you get the volume in sales it is great to have.

Anyway, I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask any others you may have and I will answer them here or by pm. I know new can sometimes be scary, but it can be good too. Think beta, vhs, and dvd.

Last edited:
A little more information about the founder of www.bidpops.com in his own words:

"I’ve been a member of eBay for nearly 12 of their 15 years. I was there when the business analysts were saying that eBay was a “fad” that would die out as the “novelty” of an online auction faded from being new. I was there when corporate heads passed the baton. I was there when sellers could leave equivalent feedback for a disruptive and untrustworthy buyer. I was there when eBay closed their eyes to the right and needs of all involved. I was there when eBay slowly became the 7 billion dollar a year giant that it is today. I was there when eBay sellers begged their favorite online selling forum to show mercy during the biggest financial meltdown in which the world has seen since the dust bowl, yes, I was there when eBay morphed into the green eyed monster. I limped from eBay suspended indefinitely.

Hopefully, to all of you readers, you see this blog for its value. You see the principles behind why it is that I did what I did. I became the enemy to giant, which in all of those years that I had helped to groom, feed, and nurture into the 1900 dollar per second profit enigma that it is today. I’m not alone, nay, I am not, many others have also entertained the monster; many others were also dispatched at the wave of a hand, like yesterday’s rubbish. I had impulsively left a “negative” comment on a buyers forced good feedback ratio, after he had butchered mine. You know, the buyer who sells the same item under a different handle, what is it called, a competitor? I retaliated when eBay took away my freedom of doing so; yes I did it anyway. I was dealt the suspension blow in January 2010, now it’s a cold December, some 11 months later.

I have many friends who are sellers and buyers. All very concerned about the 2009- 2010 changes:

* Higher final value fees
* Forced stores
* Enhanced seller policies
* Free auction listings masking the higher final value fees
* One way feedback
* Detailed seller ratings
* Power seller standings and criteria
* And for 2011, limited case filings for non-pays

And it’s for good reason. All of the new criteria affect seller profit margins and community standing. Low enough DSR’s, and you get the joy of waking to a limited PayPal account, a limited selling account, and outsourced telephone operators who obviously have little power over your current situation, short of being robbed, and for that, eBay gets credit. In hindsight, it’s obvious as to why.

Now is the time that I would usually say something “shocking”, but I restrain the urge. I do however want to tell you what I did do. I built an online auction of my own. I know, I know, I know. How many blogs revolve around SEO? It seems that search engine optimization is connected to almost everything web-related. All that I ask is that you hear me out; finish the story if you will and I’ll make it worth your while.

100 days ago I was tired of looking for ways to sell and made the decision to buy a domain name and THEN research building an online auction. I tried about 3 or 4 thousand domain names before I found one that I liked: Bidpops.com yes, I have been making a lot of blog and forum noise lately, but it’s different because I am one of you. I’m a regular guy who bent one of eBay’s three billion rules and took the unfriendly boot, lost my red star, and found my money tied up for 180 days. They started it, but I’m determined to finish what they started.

I next contacted a development company and tied up the loose ends. They would ensure a high quality site for sellers and buyers and I would make sure that the best features that were lost over the years, were to be returned to their rightful place: in an online auction.

I listened to my friends voice their concerns for long enough to be in touch with what they wanted. Moreover, I knew how I had felt. I built it. We went live on Thursday night December 9th, 2010. Bidpops was born! It was born for us, everyone whose concerns over their margins, their feedback, their rating, wonderful sweet all of us. I made it for all of us; with 10 years of unlimited hosting. But we need now to populate the site with items. Buyers can’t buy what is not there. Sellers, it is YOUR turn. Post those items for sale! Your day is here and now for the next ten years, you finally have the power to change things. Bidpops.com offers:

* Two way feedback
* Your choice of several ways to get paid
* Fifty cent flat rate listings, billed monthly
* No final value fees ever
* Goodbye DSR’s
* No membership fees
* Equality, every member is a power member (we don’t give a kindergarten star)
* Lower cost stores for flat rate items and high volume sellers
* 50 free (No money at all) auction listings just for joining (Your reward for reading the whole blog)

I think with a good array of product offerings that sellers will show up looking to buy, but I will still be advertising all the way using SEO, radio, TV, magazines, bumper stickers, and walking into local businesses handing out my card.

You all asked for an answer to the problems, now I took it and made it so. It is all of our job to make it what we want it to be: A safe place to buy and sell that doesn’t make us feel upset half of the time. It’s here for you at htttp://www.bidpops.com make it your own and make it fun. We did it!"

After reading their Privacy Policy, it appears it's the Privacy Policy of the software maker that they are using (php bid pro), NOT of the auction website. They haven't written a privacy policy yet?

Further their login page is not secure: http://www.bidpops.com/login.php

To compete with Ebay it takes a secure, well funded website that is run by people who know how to run an ecommerce site, including privacy and legal agreements that are industry standard and fair to both user and owner, and more than anything - state of the art security so that all information is protected and on secure servers.

Out of the box auction software isn't enough to compete. Sorry.

Agreed. Also, even Bonanza doesn't get a lot of traffic for buyers yet, and they are much better established.

Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.