New setting, new ring, add a band?

thaithai

Jun 1, 2006
Hi all! I am de-lurking in hopes of getting some advice on what to do with my wedding ring. We just celebrated our 11th anniversary and I jokingly mentioned adding a anniversary band to my ring since we never bought a wedding band. So we did some shopping and I found one I like.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I started to think about just resetting the ring. I would like more finger coverage and I like the look of halo rings. When I talked to the jeweler, she said it would be more cost effective to get a new setting. My guess is my stone is less than .50 carat and I think I would want something closer to a carat if I was going to spend the money. Soooo...I started to think instead of resetting, maybe I'd be better off just upgrading and getting rid of my original ring.

What would you do? Add a band (or a couple of bands?) Reset or Upgrade?! I am attaching a picture of my ring for reference.

Attachments

• ring top.jpg
    ring top.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 390
personnally, I wouldn't change the engagement ring. It's kind of sacred for me ;)
I would probably go for an anniversary ring, with 11 stones (diamonds, or something else) since it's your 11th anniversary!

I really love the way your diamond is mounted. It's quite unusual!

I'm sentimental. So I'd probably add a band :smile: With that said, I reset my original engagement ring diamond because I lost my original wedding band. Too sentimental to upgrade - but not too sentimental to reset. It's a very personal choice.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone!! I brought the idea up to my husband last night of a complete reset and he thinks I'm nuts so I bet a new ring would make him flip, lol.

I have also been looking at the threads over at Pricescope and there are some beautiful stacks there. Between this board and those boards, I'm in awe. So maybe for now I could get down with the idea of just buying a band (or three...)

Maybe for my 15th anniversary I'll be worthy of an upgrade :P

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone!! I brought the idea up to my husband last night of a complete reset and he thinks I'm nuts so I bet a new ring would make him flip, lol.

I have also been looking at the threads over at Pricescope and there are some beautiful stacks there. Between this board and those boards, I'm in awe. So maybe for now I could get down with the idea of just buying a band (or three...)

Maybe for my 15th anniversary I'll be worthy of an upgrade :P

Make sure you post whatever band you end up with :smile:

Depending upon what kind of coverage you would want, you could keep your band and just change the basket/stone area to have a halo. You'll get a bigger looking main stone. The band stays the same, but when that stone has a halo on it, it will look a lot bigger. Plus it will let more light into your stone, so it may sparkle more.

This shouldn't be so expensive, just the cost of the metal for that section, labour, and the stones for the halo.

OR

You could upgrade your stone, keep the band, and change the basket. It will look similar, but the stone will look a lot bigger.

OR

You could do that last one, but with adding a halo.

Having just redone a bunch of jewelry, metal is so expensive right now, you're better off putting your coverage dollars into the stone. Just my opinion.

Congratulations!