New seller doesn't accept pay pal

uwhuskygirl

I need a cupcake.
O.G.
Oct 25, 2007
There is a bag that I've been watching for a while and it ends today. This bag is kind of hard to find now and it's a pretty good price right now. The seller has a feedback rating of 4 and does not accept paypal. It's check or money order only.

I think if I pay by check or money order then I waive all buyer protection? Does anyone have any advice? Should I bid on this bag or do you think it's a scam?

Thanks!

i wouldn't want to pay with anything but paypal these days unless the seller is known and has a good reputation. you'd have no means of getting your $$$$ back if something went wrong .

With 4 FB and no paypal, you have NO protection, so don't do it!!!!!! All it takes for a seller to sign up for PayPal is a bank acct. and a credit card (maybe you don't even need a CC??).

The ONLY way I would consider paying with a personal check or MO for a high priced item like that, is if they have been selling on eBay for several years with a very high FB rating. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk it. I had a seller a few years back screw me on a $25 item, and their FB was high, but questionable—meaning they had a lot of negatives. I never received it, and I paid with a MO and I was basically screwed. At least it was only a $25 lesson, not a $250 or more lesson.

They could pull the crap that they never received the MO and by the time you were to stop payment on the check, she/he would have already cashed it.

As much as we hate it, there's a reason why eBay is going to stop allowing cash/MO payments on eBay—even though it's a monopoly.

I thought e-bay does not allow check or money order anymore? I listed something last Friday after having stopped selling for a while and there was a reminder that I could only accept Paypal payments, no money orders or check. Please correct me if i am wrong.

And like what the others said, I'd be wary to pay check/mo to that seller.

It sounds like a scam to me...... I wouldn´t do it....... or paypal or no way.... plus you say the price is too good... so it sounds like a too good to be true....

A couple of months ago I would have agreed with those of you who say this is probably a scam, but the selling environment has changed dramatically in the last few months. Don't be so quick to judge someone who does not accepting Paypal. Yes, the low feedback is an issue, but can the seller direct you to feedback on another site that might show that they are an honest, dependable seller?

As a result of selling limitations and forced use of Paypal many very good sellers are no longer selling on eBay or accepting Paypal. (I am one of them.) This might not be a good situation, but don't be quick to judge until you have enough information to make an informed decision.

I was thinking of selling a pair of shoes that don't fit me on eBay but doing it with MO because when I tried to purchase a bunch of stuff using PayPal, my account had a bit of a problem. I tried to verify my accounts, address, etc. but still had a problem. I guess I should call them and find out what's going on. Anyway, being that I have never sold anything off eBay...how do you receive money from PayPal? Does it go into a credit card or bank account or what? And do they really hold the money for up to 21 days like everyone has been mentioning here? Thanks!

I was thinking of selling a pair of shoes that don't fit me on eBay but doing it with MO because when I tried to purchase a bunch of stuff using PayPal, my account had a bit of a problem. I tried to verify my accounts, address, etc. but still had a problem. I guess I should call them and find out what's going on. Anyway, being that I have never sold anything off eBay...how do you receive money from PayPal? Does it go into a credit card or bank account or what? And do they really hold the money for up to 21 days like everyone has been mentioning here? Thanks!

You could try calling PP for help on your account.

When a buyer sends you money into PP it goes into your PP account. At that time you have 3 options for getting your money.
1. Use the PP debit card
2. request a check from PP (this takes more time and costs a few dollars) 3. transfer the money into your own bank account (can take up to 3 days to show up.) And until you jump through a few more hoops you can only transfer $500 every month.

As for the 21 day hold, I can't really offer any first hand advice or insight as it hasn't happened to me (yet.)

Oh and as for my own bidding, I had a funny feeling about it and decided that it wasn't worth it to bid on the bag.

I wouldn't ever pay without a credit card. The best buyer protection is not Paypal but your credit card company. I have wanted some awesome bags but the seller didn't want to offer Paypal. Those sellers wont' be able to do this anymore since Ebay is not allowing checks/money orders anymore.