New rule at Chanel?!!

Pursetato

Jan 20, 2011
I was recently at the Orlando Chanel store (I'm from Vancouver canada) I went on october 30th and fell in love with the plum lambskin jumbo. As I asked the SA to ring in the bag she said I could prepay for it today and pick it up on nov3. My mind was sooo blown. I prepaid for it obviously cause where else am I going to get a plum jumbo again? Let's be serious!
I told the SA I was on vacation and was leaving to Miami on the fourth so she asked her manager to switch the pick up date to november 2nd. When I finally went to pick up the lambskin jumbo I asked the sa why this absurd new rule was implicated because if I didnt go shopping before November I probably wouldn't have been able to purchase my Chanel! She answered that the rule was placed in September to "protect the brand" she said it's to stop the Chanel classics to be as common as LV bags. Now there will be a limited amount of classic flaps and reissue bags being sold each month, making Chanel a more "Exclusive Brand"
After digging around the forums gymangel812 mentioned that her SA said they were trying to be more like Hermes and the classics will be harder to find and be on a "Reserve" system.
Just wanted to know what everyone thinks about the new Chanel rule. Do you think this rule will "Protect their Brand?" Or you think Chanel should get off their high horse.

I think Chanel is obviously blooming good at what they do, because we all keep coming back for more. I can see why they have this new rule, but I dont think they need to! Isnt it just going to put people off? Chanel is a high end brand and doesnt need to change... I dont know anyone who classes them as cheap or what not?! Enjoy that stunning jumbo though! :biggrin:

These new rules seem to be a bit arbitrary and ridiculous. If they want to be more 'exclusive', stop making so many classic bags! It's not like they are rare - I was at the Chanel boutique yesterday and saw tons.

These new rules seem to be a bit arbitrary and ridiculous. If they want to be more 'exclusive', stop making so many classic bags! It's not like they are rare - I was at the Chanel boutique yesterday and saw tons.
I was at Chanel at Holts and I agree with you. I saw tons of classic black and silver and white Chanels!

I guess Im one of the only ones who kinda likes this new rule. One of the reasons why i don't use my LVs anymore is because 1 in 5 people in Vancouver carries one. I prefer my Balenciaga or Alexander Wang bags because they are not as common. I don't want to drop 5 grand and see the girl next to me at starbucks carrying the same bag.

I guess I don't care that much about 'exclusivity'? I think some products are exclusive because they are hard to get, not just because the manufacturer decided to jack up the price.
Honestly the Celine mini seems harder to get than a Chanel classic flap - I never really see minis at the store.

First of all, Chanel will never be as exclusive as Hermes, unless they become handmade and sell for $10K+, hope not. But to be realistic, Chanel flaps are now about $4,000, what percentage of the population will ever be to own even one classic flap. They are exclusive already and Chanel doesn't have to come up with new policies to improve their image.

Have you noticed that since the 6/1/11 price increase, there are fewer classic flap and reissue reveals? I bet the number of these bags sold each month has gone down a lot since last year. Looking at old 2007-2008 tpf posts, ladies were building up beautiful collections with numerous jumbo flaps. Those days are long gone for most of us.

First of all, Chanel will never be as exclusive as Hermes, unless they become handmade and sell for $10K+, hope not. But to be realistic, Chanel flaps are now about $4,000, what percentage of the population will ever be to own even one classic flap. They are exclusive already and Chanel doesn't have to come up with new policies to improve their image.

Have you noticed that since the 6/1/11 price increase, there are fewer classic flap and reissue reveals? I bet the number of these bags sold each month has gone down a lot since last year. Looking at old 2007-2008 tpf posts, ladies were building up beautiful collections with numerous jumbo flaps. Those days are long gone for most of us.

agree with you totally~~~:cool:

^This.... for sure.

good point!

It actually doesn't bother me at all that I pay $4k for a bag, but many others have it. Whether it's exclusive or not, it doesn't bother me. It's what I like and if I like the bag that everyone else is carrying, then I'll get it to. What's the big deal? Actually, it's kind of a compliment when someone's wearing the same thing you are. You guys just got good tastes! hehe :biggrin:

I was actually told the same thing at the Orlando Chanel Boutique. My SA told me back when I pre-ordered the new mini is that they're only allowed to sell 20 items each month (from the classic line). And she said that if they've hit the 20 mark already for the month, they will actually take the classic bags off display until the next month. With this limit, my SA says they meet their mark pretty quickly and end up having to pre-sell bags for the next month.

I'm wondering if this policy is only for stand-a-lone boutique or if it also applies to Saks, Bloomies, NM, Nordstrom, etc. as well.

I was actually told the same thing at the Orlando Chanel Boutique. My SA told me back when I pre-ordered the new mini is that they're only allowed to sell 20 items each month (from the classic line). And she said that if they've hit the 20 mark already for the month, they will actually take the classic bags off display until the next month. With this limit, my SA says they meet their mark pretty quickly and end up having to pre-sell bags for the next month.

I'm wondering if this policy is only for stand-a-lone boutique or if it also applies to Saks, Bloomies, NM, Nordstrom, etc. as well.

Is this policy for real? 20 classics per month doesn't sound like that many for an entire boutique.