new Roberto Coin resembles VCA sweets?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I saw on Bloomies site and today received Bloomies Valentine book in mail. I think the new Roberto Coin white enamel necklaces (butterfly, heart, flower and teardrop) that sell for $520 each have a similar appearance to VCA. Perhaps someone can attach photos for me (I don't know how :sad: ) to this thread so we can get some responses and conversation going here. I think they are pretty from pictures but have not seen in person yet.

I have seen and tried on these IRL. Both the white and black pieces, the bracelet was nice. TBH it looks cheap.
The new pendants are a rip off of VCA! I rather have vca! sorry. I am a jewelry snob.

I do have RC hammered bracelets and he or where the company buys the pieces from need to be original!

I agree with the above sentiments ^ sjunky13, it is a complete rip off of the VCA design but done cheaply. I know someone who has a necklace that is identical to the VCA mop clover three in yg and she went to VCA and said the only difference between hers and the actual one was something by the closure. Her necklace was bought from her jeweler I believe and she must have really wanted that style. It looks like R. Coin tweaked the style of the VCA and borrowed heavily from them but put their own twist on it... for the worse. I'm with you here and if I can't have the original (not a tweaked version or a jewelers identical copy) when it comes to something so style specific, I just don't want it. :tdown:

I know jewelry companies borrow ideas from each other a lot and if I didn't know vca, i'd probably think it was cute... just a little pricey for enamel. i don't know how well RC is known for its enamels.

I'd be interested in seeing earrings in black enamel. lol I've been trying to find a less expensive alternative than the vca vintage onyx. (sigh) lol

I hate when designers slightly modify other designer's work! We already pay a premium for your brand, please create your own designs.

Another piece that always bothered me was the following: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...CategoryID=21304#fn=spp=13&ppp=96&sp=1&rid=52

It feels like a slightly modified Elsa Peretti Open Heart. If I never saw an open heart, I would really like it. However, in comparasion, it does not compare.

Wow. I know that some Roberto Coin pieces have been strikingly similar to other designers in the past... but these pieces are too much like a cheap copy of VCA Sweets for my liking. Thankfully, I don't wear enamel because I've found that it doesn't hold up well at all for daily wear.

And I agree with AntiqueShopper about the Elsa Peretti Open Heart style pendant. It's too much like the Tiffany & Co. product.

If RC can't come up with their own designs... perhaps they should consider hiring outside designers? There are so many bright minds with fabulous jewelry ideas, but those designers either don't have the funding for a start-up or are otherwise unable to manufacture and market their pieces. Why not put those talented people to good use?!

I understand that jewelry brands borrow concepts from each other depending on what is popular and "in" at the moment, but... there's a difference between manufacturing a "style" and copyright infringement.