New Return Options Question

caannie

Happily Retired
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
Montgomery, AL
So... I needed to return an item on Ebay. Normally I contact the seller and tell them what the issue is and we work something out (it hasn't happened much, but occasionally something is just too much not as described for me). I went to contact the seller and noticed on the drop down menu there is now a "Return this item" choice. So I chose it, thinking it would just auto email the seller. Under reason I chose "doesn't match listing" or whatever the choice is for description is not quite right. Anyway, I got a message saying the seller has like 6 days to get back with me and if they don't Ebay will get involved?

My question is... does choosing return that way hurt the seller's account any? Or is it okay unless I have to get Ebay involved? I don't really want to ding anyone before I see what their response might be. I also don't really want to wait around for a week to see if they will work with the return. They have a 14 day return policy, but I haven't heard a peep yet.

caannie

Happily Retired
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
Montgomery, AL
Oh well... I had no idea. I just wanted to talk to them about a return. Thanks Ebay for making things harder to do...

Nikki_

May 8, 2012
You would probably want to use the "contact seller" feature in the future.

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
This is ridiculous! I can imagine how many buyers will make the same mistake, even when they don't have a problem with the seller. If a seller accepts returns for any reason, why would they need to provide a reason at all?

caannie

Happily Retired
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
Montgomery, AL
I ended up contacting the seller through Ebay messaging. She told me to just return the package and confirmed her return address. She has never responded to the return email thing from Ebay, which makes me wonder if it even is notifying sellers properly? Or it may just be that if she agrees to it she has to refund my shipping too. Either way I'm sending it back and then if the refund isn't right I guess I can take it up with Ebay and there will be proof of the return.

Bottom line, this new system seriously sucks.

LLC

O.G.
Feb 9, 2009
NYC
I never use any of the options eBay provides...they are absolutely useless. If I have a question, I always use the "ask a question/contact seller" button.

piosavsfan

Dec 28, 2010
California
I ended up contacting the seller through Ebay messaging. She told me to just return the package and confirmed her return address. She has never responded to the return email thing from Ebay, which makes me wonder if it even is notifying sellers properly? Or it may just be that if she agrees to it she has to refund my shipping too. Either way I'm sending it back and then if the refund isn't right I guess I can take it up with Ebay and there will be proof of the return.

Bottom line, this new system seriously sucks.
If she would have responded to the return request, you would have received a shipping label. I think Ebay makes the sellers pay for the return shipping for SNAD now.

noshoepolish

Labrador Lover
Authenticator
O.G.
Oct 4, 2006
There is some new preliminary step that allows one to work it out with the seller before ebay gets involved. I haven't really paid attention to it as I don't sell much anymore.