New purchase help...

Jan 29, 2009
Hello everyone!
I received the beautiful gray mother of pearl necklace last Friday. Yesterday when I took it out, I noticed the stone looked like it has this film over it ( not sure how to describe it). Hubby thought it was just dirty but I haven’t worn it so I’m not sure. Can anyone tell me if this is how the stone is suppose to look? Attaching some pictures.
Thanks!

Attachments

• FEEAE2F1-CD2B-4D71-BE9F-929EC3EA384C.jpeg
    FEEAE2F1-CD2B-4D71-BE9F-929EC3EA384C.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 231
  • D582E8B7-C7CC-459C-A2A4-3CC30AD0BE6C.jpeg
    D582E8B7-C7CC-459C-A2A4-3CC30AD0BE6C.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 236
Reactions: hhw
Does it feel raised to the touch? I would like to say it can be the nature of the stone but can't tell for sure. Can you take pics at different angles?

Did you order sight unseen? I am actually looking for iridescence and I am not seeing any. Any good MOP (white, grey, gold) should have some crazy iridescence.

And VCA is not infallible - they do have QC issues, so something can be wrong with the motif.

Hi, no it doesn’t feel raised to the touch. The video captures it a lot better - is there a way to upload a video?

I order the necklace online since I don’t have a store close to me.

I compared it to my white mother of pearl bracelet and this one looks like very dull and it looks like there’s dots all over.

Does it feel raised to the touch? I would like to say it can be the nature of the stone but can't tell for sure. Can you take pics at different angles?

Did you order sight unseen? I am actually looking for iridescence and I am not seeing any. Any good MOP (white, grey, gold) should have some crazy iridescence.

And VCA do have QC issues, so something can be wrong with the motif.

here is another picture zoomed in...

Hi, no it doesn’t feel raised to the touch. The video captures it a lot better - is there a way to upload a video?

I order the necklace online since I don’t have a store close to me.

I compared it to my white mother of pearl bracelet and this one looks like very dull and it looks like there’s dots all over.

Attachments

• A996AD72-086E-454A-AF44-EA5504993048.jpeg
    A996AD72-086E-454A-AF44-EA5504993048.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Wow
Reactions: Israeli_Flava
here is another picture zoomed in...
There is definitely something wrong with this motif. You described it as mottled (dots all over), and if in comparison to your white MOP it looks different, there is a quality issue.

Have you tried wiping with a jewellery cloth? It can rule out fingerprints/dirt. If this doesn't solve the issue, I would return and try to purchase from a store where a pair of eyes can help the vetting process. I can recommend my NM DSA (if you wish) - he chooses quite well for me :tup:

Last edited:
There is definitely something wrong with this motif. You described it as mottled (dots all over), and if in comparison to your white MOP it looks different, there is a quality issue.

Have you tried wiping with a jewellery cloth? It can rule out fingerprints/dirt. If this doesn't solve the issue, I would return and try to purchase from a store where a pair of eyes can help the vetting process. I can recommend my NM DSA (if you wish) - he chooses quite well for me :tup:

+1

I agree. Return it.

Aw this sucks. I’ve been thinking about ordering this online but am probably going to wait until I can go in person. This is the exact scenario that I’m trying to avoid. The good thing is you noticed this immediately and are still within the return window. Hope you find your perfect piece!

Reactions: hhw