New Puppy-need help!

xostephie

Jan 10, 2009
Hi Guys!

So I just picked up a puppy from the animal control shelter yesterday-her name is Gracie, she's a little black and white terrier mix, and she's 4 months old. She's adorable-really calm, sweet and loves to nuzzle her face in your neck, haha. Anyways, I know that it takes a few days for puppies to adjust, but I really need some advice. Yesterday afternoon she started this weird coughing noise-at first I thought maybe it's Kennel Cough, but isn't that a dry cough? She does it for a few minutes, then spits up clear mucus. She hasn't eaten once (seriously, I tried Nutro, Purina Puppy Chow, Wet Food, and even a tad bit of meat to see if she'd be interested, but nope). Everyone keeps saying "oh, it'll take a few days for her to adjust, just give her some time", but what concerns me is that she's already pretty thin (like I can feel her bones wayyyy too easily). I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow (no ones open today:sad: ) but I'm just really worried. She'll drink a little water every so often-but she's literally only pottied once since I got her home yesterday afternoon. She just got spayed 3 days ago, and then they also force fed her a flea pill before we left, so I thought maybeee it could be cause by that, but I'd think it'd be out of her system by now.

Any ideas of what's going on? TIA ladies!

You may want to call around to an emergency animal hospital near you for advice. The thing that would worry me the most would be that puppies need to eat especially small pups as they can develope hypoglycemia.

I agree with megt.
Also, I remember one of my parents puppies would only eat if you fed him by hand. He then got used to eating from his dish, but for about a week I remember having to wake up extra early to feed him by hand. Also, we added a tablespoonful of plain yogurt to his dry food when he started eating on his own. This seemed to encourage him to eat from the dish.

It's good she's drinking some water...try giving her an ice cube here and there (if she'll eat it) to make sure she's getting some fluids. I would take her to the vet on Monday.

She had a lot of trauma lately...getting adopted...getting spayed...new medication...it's not surprising that she is having digestive problems.

I would get her into your local vet. It could be a number of things. It is very possible that she could have picked up something contagious at the shelter you adopted her from.
Given the fact that she is already on the thin side and has been in a stressful situation, her health can deteriorate rather quickly.

We need best wishes guys. I took Gracie to the vet as soon as they opened this morning, and she tested positive for Parvo. Of course I started treatment-the vet stated that it's a good sign that she's been drinking water, and her fecal is normal, so we're keeping out fingers crossed. I'm glad i signed up for the health insurance the shelter offered, because wow, it just became effective this morning, haha. We're keeping our fingers crossed that she'll pull through. I'm just really disappointed in the shelter. She left with a bad cough (seriously, like 30 minutes later she was coughing, so I know it didn't just 'appear' suddenly in my car), and they just sent her on her way, without even mentioning it. I didn't go to a shady shelter-I went to the city one, which I get doesn't have a boat load of cash, but I'm just really disappointed in them, and worried about my baby!

Here's a picture of her:

Attachments

• gracie1.JPG
    gracie1.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 120
crossing my fingers for you and gracie!!

maybe it would be a good idea for you to call the shelter and let them know? is parvo contagious? they should be made aware so that they aren't sending out other sick little puppies to families.

WOW...sending good wishes your way!

Definately call the shelter you got her from...they need to lock down the area she was in...I know I volunteered for a year walking dogs at the humane society, and when parvo broke out, that wing got locked down to contain the breakout so to lessen the spread...

I called and left a message with the Shelter with a contact number, but no one's even bothered to call me back. I'm thinking if I don't hear anything within the next few days, I'll be going back in person to let them know. I know a puppy got adopted that was right next to Gracie's cage, and I would hate to think of that little puppy having parvo (she left with a fever-they at least thought to mention it to that family), since it belongs to a family with little kids. It's just awful, and completely irresponsible to let them leave without getting them vaccinated first. I definitely don't expect ALL the shots to be given-but at LEAST Distemper/Rabies should've been given.

Is there somewhere OP can report the shelter to, like the owner or manager of that site? It's bad if they told OP that they had given her dog the vaccination prior to adoption and really lied... OP you know if the paperwork you got said it was done?

Hoping the best for Gracie. Parvo is very contagious and very dangerous, especially to puppies. The shelter should take action to protect any other dogs they have there. I hope your pup does okay on the treatments.

Sending well wishes to you and Gracie! She's so adorable! Gracie is in good hands... getting the best medical treatment she needs and having a loving parent!! Best combination! Please keep us posted!