New Puppy-need help!

Good luck to you and your new puppy. That's negligent of the shelter. Our county shelter had to shut down twice because of Parvo outbreaks and all adoptions were suspended until the situation was under control. And we're not even in a very progressive county.

UPDATE!!!!

So, Gracie is doing soooooo much better. She's been on IV treatments for two days now, and I got to visit her this afternoon, and I swear, I almost wonder if they switched my dog out, haha. She was soooo chipper and excited, it was 100% turn around. I have a puppy again!!!! She's keeping down water, and they said they'll be giving her food this afternoon, and if she keeps it down overnight Gracie will be coming home tomorrow, thank goodness!!!!

UPDATE!!!!

So, Gracie is doing soooooo much better. She's been on IV treatments for two days now, and I got to visit her this afternoon, and I swear, I almost wonder if they switched my dog out, haha. She was soooo chipper and excited, it was 100% turn around. I have a puppy again!!!! She's keeping down water, and they said they'll be giving her food this afternoon, and if she keeps it down overnight Gracie will be coming home tomorrow, thank goodness!!!!

Oh my gosh that's GREAT NEWS!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo: Parvo is such a fatal, scary disease and Gracie is so lucky to have a great mommy that knew exactly what to do to help her. Congrats! and I hope Gracie gets to go home ASAP!

I'm so glad she's doing better!:smile: My best friend adopted a puppy that had parvo, and after a week of IV fluids, she got better and is now a happy and healthy four year old. Thank god you had the pet health insurance, because a week of IV treatment can cost thousands of dollars. Most pet owners end up putting their dogs down because they can't afford the treatment, which is why I think the fatality rates are so high. But it's completely treatable if you can swing it. Good for you and Gracie!:smile:

Yay for Gracie! If you wouldn't mind, could you give us an update on her again! This story touched my heart and I am so glad she is doing better! I also comend you for doing the right thing and taking her to the vet first thing and not back to the shelter! Some people would do that as the easy and cheap way out...so kudos to you too! and I am sure Gracie thanks you too! What a great puppy mommy!

Hey guys! Thanks for all the warm thoughts!!! Gracie came home from the vet last night, and she has been doing pretty great! She's eating food (albeit bland, yucky food) and drinking some water, although I wish it was a littleeee more. She had quite the appetite because she can only have a little bit of food every few hours to help her keep it down. I'm a littleeeee worried about her tonight-she's either a little dehydrated again, or she's just sleepy, but overall, its a huge improvement!

Thank you for all the sincere thoughts guys. We really appreciate it, and it hurts me to have to say this. Gracie has taken a turn for the worse. We discovered this afternoon that she also caught distemper from the shelter, which as you may know, is almost always fatal. While we first thought she might be able to fight it, it's clear tonight that she's really hurting from that and the parvo, and unfortunately I've had to make the tough decision to take her back to the shelter tomorrow. We're spending a great night together cuddling and making sure she has all of the love she deserves, and praying for a miraculous recovery by tomorrow morning.