New Policy From Coach (Madison lovers check this out)

brahh

LV LOVER!!!
Jan 7, 2009
Inventory was yesterday so I just called the outlet store. Was told the things "on hold" (Madison, etc.) until fiscal year ends (July 1st) would now not be put out until calender year ends (after Christmas sales, etc.). I had to speak with Dan and he said Tanya would be in later and would know more about the new Coach Policy. It could mean bags will sit at Distribution longer then they have been of late. (it used to be that way.) I'm going to check with Tanya when she comes in...if anyone else can get info please do. All of the boxes the outlet stores had sitting in the back while they did inventory are just replenishments of factory items. Gig could be up!!! :sweatdrop:

Well, I don't believe it. (I believe YOU, I don't believe Coach!)

Coach's earnings were 3% below last year's 4Q results (ended Dec. '08), and their department store sales decreased almost 20%. So that if they seriously made a decision to hold the end of 2008 product until the end of 2009, then they wouldn't see a return on that merchandise until their ist quarter of 2010. That's a long time to keep something on the books, esp. if it's just sitting in a warehouse, risking theft/fire/flood, etc.

So, a longer Sabrina wait?
Tremble__Lip.gif

Well, I don't believe it. (I believe YOU, I don't believe Coach!)

Coach's earnings were 3% below last year's 4Q results (ended Dec. '08), and their department store sales decreased almost 20%. So that if they seriously made a decision to hold the end of 2008 product until the end of 2009, then they wouldn't see a return on that merchandise until their ist quarter of 2010. That's a long time to keep something on the books, esp. if it's just sitting in a warehouse, risking theft/fire/flood, etc.

You make a very good point... Coach has conditioned people to go to outlet. I don't necessarily disagree with the policy changing, but now is likely not the time to do it, either for consumers or the company.

Okay, Rhonda just called me, one of the other mgrs, (she does floor set, etc.) to clarify what's happening. Mainly the Madison line is (happily) selling so well for Coach that, for now, this is what outlet is being told. These Style Nos. will not be put out in outlets until end of calendar year (probably meaning December sales): 12930, 12932, 12935, 12937, 12943, 12947, 12948, 12949, 12950, 12952, 12957, 12959, 12960, 12961, 12963, 12965, 12966, 12967, 12968, 12973, 12974, 12988, 13001, 13232, 13233, 13253. We need to realize that companies are in the business to make money. The last Legacy line (garcia leather) did not do well for Coach. They have been very happy and very surprised that the Madison line has done extremely well. Especially with our economy slow right now, we can't blame Coach for protecting the Madison line that is selling so well for them. Rhonda said they only have a handful of Madison pieces and have no clue how the company will handle the "pulled" Madison colors. They could hold them at distribution...or they could send them to the new Coach stores being opened in China...that market is still booming even in this slow time. We need to understand the situation the outlets are in (they must follow corporate...the emails are marked as URGENT emails...and corporate is watching all the outlets to make sure they are following the guidelines). And, if the selling curve starts to go down (interest with the Madison line), corporate could change their minds...we all know anything is possible. But, outlet is just doing what they are instructed to do. As far as other "pulled lines/colors" they could still be sent to the outlets. This is how I feel, if a person REALLY wants a Sabrina, Julianne, etc. you might want to consider using your PCE right now to purchase one.

Im really not surprised to hear this. I figured they were going to stop sending things to the outets so soon at some point. Buyers are unhappy that full price bags are being sent to the outlets so quickly. Plus if the Madison line is selling well full price, they would be stupid to release them to the outlets any time soon. I'll still be outlet shopping for sure; I guess we just got a little spoiled by all the great really new items there lately!

Im really not surprised to hear this. I figured they were going to stop sending things to the outets so soon at some point. Buyers are unhappy that full price bags are being sent to the outlets so quickly. Plus if the Madison line is selling well full price, they would be stupid to release them to the outlets any time soon. I'll still be outlet shopping for sure; I guess we just got a little spoiled by all the great really new items there lately!

I totally agree, donnalynn.

While I often question corporate's judement/rules, they can't win with us in regard to boutique-to-outlet transfer time. We're annoyed when it's too quick and we see bags at reduced prices soon after paying full price. And likewise, we're annoyed when we refuse to pay FP and just want the bag to get to the outlet already!

Not directed at anyone's particular comment, just sayin'!

While I often question corporate's judement/rules, they can't win with us in regard to boutique-to-outlet transfer time. We're annoyed when it's too quick and we see bags at reduced prices soon after paying full price. And likewise, we're annoyed when we refuse to pay FP and just want the bag to get to the outlet already!

This is so true. I wish the Sabrina's would get to the outlet sooner but I understand why they aren't letting them.:yes:

I'm sorry for all the outlet shoppers out there but I am sort of glad to hear this. I have two Sabrina's and my first thought when purchasing them at FP was well how long before they're discounted 70-80% at the outlets. The last Coach bag I purchased was the first week of December and since then I've seen other bags that I've liked and probably would have purchased but didn't because I didn't want to pay FP (and I'm not anywhere near an outlet to get the discounted prices), so instead I bought a LV. And now I really like the new HS but once again I've decided not to buy it for the same reason. Even though I still like Coach and I love love love the Coach bags I have, I've decided to spend less money on Coach because in the end it does matter to me that my bags retain some value at least while they're new.

They did this with Carly too, and actually it was a longer wait for those if we look at the original line. It's not surprising to me for the Madison, but the fact is there are still outlets selling the bags when some customers ask for them. I was told that the manager can make an exception for "certain customers", despite the email. Whether that allowance has been clamped down on or not, I don't know. I do think they should make it fair across the board for everyone...either they all sell or they don't sell at all, kwim?? It's the inconsistencies in policy that breed resentment and problems.

You're absolutely right! They will never win with everyone, just like we don't always win with each other here. :P

A company is out to make a profit, and IMO, they could be making more...

Yes! They did do this with the Carly line. The Carly was so popular and it took a long time for them to show up at the outlets. If they have so many bags just to throw into the outlets and if people are looking for them and still willing to pay full price, why not have them available for sale on the web-site along with the new lines that come out until they no longer sell well? There are deleted colors of the Madison line that people would jump at the chance to pay full price. They could seriously up their profit instead of holding them in storage for so long. I realize that there are a lot of "not so perfect bags" as well that need to go to the outlets.

Baglady, yes, I agree. The outlets are selling some of the Madison line. I have seen a few Ombres pop up on the bay lately with outlet stamps...so I don't know. Returns??? Not sure.