New packaging

But if they were all in they would also be addressing other environmental issues, such as the recycled gold and coral.....I really don't think VCA boxes are significant contributor to landfill.

Of course, they could make them out of natural materials so that they would break down if they were thrown out but that would be much more expensive.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, the focus is upon anti-waste. Regarding recycled gold, I don’t think a luxury house such as VCA is ready for that. It took ages for Hermès to launch Petit H, and even that feels isolated from their main merchandise (e.g. there’s no Birkin made from assembled scraps).

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
It was mentioned to me that the 'new packaging' will be scanned and accounted for. So no, we will not get more travel pouches in lieu of the box. The boutiques that have ample stock of the 'old packaging' is where you will get the original box until they are all given out. Unfortunately, my boutique has low stock of the old packaging. Best of luck ladies! It feels like the 'price increase of 10/13/2022' and 'HP 2022' fiasco/chase all over again. :hrmm:
I sent my HP back to be lengthened and sent it in the travel pouch and they sent it back in another box, no travel pouch. :frown:

I actually don’t mind not getting a box - I don’t use the boxes and they go into storage. Plus, for bracelets that get resized, the box isn’t a great storage option because they often no longer fit due to the new length.

That being said, I’d like to see a better travel pouch for rings/earrings that can better secure them. For rings, perhaps a cloth tube and snaps like other travel jewelry pouches use instead of a snap close bag. And earrings, while I don’t wear them, my main concern would be the posts getting bent during travel.

If they solve for those things, I truly don’t mind not getting a box I know I’ll never use.

Although it is a bit annoying they seemingly implement a cost saving measure right after a significant price increase. This would have been better received if they did a better job on the timing and heads up to customers rather than people randomly getting the new packaging and feeling disappointed.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, the focus is upon anti-waste. Regarding recycled gold, I don’t think a luxury house such as VCA is ready for that. It took ages for Hermès to launch Petit H, and even that feels isolated from their main merchandise (e.g. there’s no Birkin made from assembled scraps).

No-one throws away gold (not even 9ct). There is a scrap-price, and if items are not resold it ends-up with metal dealers.

The danger with over recycling precious metals/stones is that beautiful antique and pre-loved pieces that are considered unfashionable and are scrapped without thought. There is a value in design and workmanship that is not always taken into consideration vi gold-price.

I think it should be up to us if we want a box or not. Not VCA. Many people are gifting, it's ridiculous to give without all the trimmings. May as well go pre-loved.

Part of the allure for luxury purchases for me is packaging - it's a fundamental part of the entire experience. I appreciate others may differ in their expectations or desires, but I agree that the customer should be given that choice.

I have a piece on order right now, and I called them to find out the status of my order, and also put in a request to make sure that when the piece does arrive, that I get it with the old proper packaging. She tried to give me the spiel about how it's more sustainable, but I was having none of it. She put a note on my order for my request, so hopefully they will acquiesce. Fingers crossed!
So VCA called me back that day to tell me that my piece has already arrived (which makes me wonder when they would have informed me of it, had I not called earlier in the day to ask for them to look into the status of my order, given that my SA is on holiday until the beginning of December)!

I'm so excited, it's been 10 weeks since I placed the order, and I can't wait to get my paws on the piece. But at the same time, I am looking at it with a little trepidation as to whether I will be getting the old packaging as requested or not. Hopefully this is the case, as I would rather not have sub-standard packaging mar the experience for me!

I'll update when I pick it up on Saturday!

No-one throws away gold (not even 9ct). There is a scrap-price, and if items are not resold it ends-up with metal dealers.

The danger with over recycling precious metals/stones is that beautiful antique and pre-loved pieces that are considered unfashionable and are scrapped without thought. There is a value in design and workmanship that is not always taken into consideration vi gold-price.

I think it should be up to us if we want a box or not. Not VCA. Many people are gifting, it's ridiculous to give without all the trimmings. May as well go pre-loved.
Maybe they'll just say, take the piece as it is - if you want some packaging, bring your own, or we'll charge you a separate amount for it - like a Tesco reusable bag! LOL!

I asked my SA directly and she said she had never heard such news. But then I am located in Asia.

If a customer has several bracelets or several items under the same category, then maybe a box can be optional otherwise a box is a must.

Luxury brands should not push people to panic buy using different tactics. Maybe this is one of their tactics?

My enthusiasm for VCA was already waning after the holiday pendant fiasco, but this may be the nail in the coffin for me. The new packaging is not luxurious. Period. End of story. I don’t pay exorbitant prices for just the name. I’m paying for the experience, and packaging is part of the experience. If you ladies haven’t read the book ‘Deluxe. How Luxury Lost its Luster’, I highly recommend that you do. It’s very relevant.

These luxury houses think we’re sheep. They think that we are so blind and stupid and enamored with their product that we’ll buy no matter what they do. I’m putting my foot down. Sorry VCA, but I can think of better ways to spend my money.

Last edited: