Travel NEW ORLEANS! tips - questions - advice

beth001

Purse Slut
O.G.
Dec 14, 2006
DH has a conference in New Orleans the end of this week, and I got invited, so we are leaving the Northeast on Wednesday, 4/9, and won't be coming back until a week from today (4/13.)

I will have Thursday and Friday morning by myself (the Louis Vuitton at Saks is definitely on my personal agenda!) and the rest of the time we'll be able to go out and about together. We already have reservations at Emeril's NOLA for Saturday night, but what else do you suggest?

And, what should I pack? (That's the hardest part, for sure...:girlsigh:) TIA!

Bourbon Street is definitely a recommendation, as is walking through the entire French Quarter!!! We also booked one of those bus tours that takes you around the city for 3 hours (about $50). A walk through the Garden District is a must-see as well (so beautiful)!
Oh....Cafe du Monde for beignets is a must...and across the street you can get a Muffaletta sandwich!
We found some great Po' Boy Sandwiches at a restaurant right on Bourbon Street (about 1 block away from Canal in the quarter).

I didn't do any shopping at all.....just did sightseeing! LOVED it!

Oh...and it's pretty warm down there....so probably lightweight clothing is best :smile:

Definitely bring comfy shoes to walk around in. And something casual if you plan on going out on Bourbon St -- no heels or open toed shoes for Bourbon St. Speaking of Bourbon St, definitely do not go there before 10 am (when it is cleaned). The smell will make you sick.
Also like Twiggers said, bring a lightweight jacket, because it gets cooler at night.
As for restaurants, go to Galatoire's. It is awesome, but get there early for dinner because they only take reservations for the upstairs (very touristy).
Have a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's. Cafe au lait at Cafe DuMonde.
Listen to some jazz at Preservation Hall.

It's been consistently high 70s, low 80s lately, so make sure to pack warm weather clothing. Though definitely bring some sweaters or light jackets for night, as it does get cooler. And comfy shoes, like others have said! Cobblestones + cracked pavement + heels = disaster.

The New Orleans International Human Rights Film Festival will be going on while you're here, so if you want to take a break from shopping and eating (good luck :P) that's always something to do.
There are lots of great clubs (jazz and other genres) on Frenchman Street, such as Snug Harbor and Blue Nile. A great way to escape from the touristy insanity that is Bourbon.

Have fun!

Yum!!!! Shrimp and grits at Nola!! TDF!! We took a ghost and vampire walking tour that was different and fun. Acme Oyster House is a fun casual place to eat. Great shops on Royal St. and go have a drink at the Hotel Monteleone Bar. Also, go for a drink at Lafitte's, no electricity and very old.

Have a great time!!

Oh it is French Quarter Fest this weekend....great food, lots and lots of music and activities starting on Friday! You will be right in the middle of it all. I love this time of year in New Orleans.

It is warm here now so as others have said, lightweight clothes is optimal. I wore shorts and t-shirts all weekend long w/ flip flops. Also agree w/ nice and comfortable shoes in the quarter. I have been out there in my work dress heels and it is no fun at the end of the night. If you like to karaoke, go to Cats Meow on Bourbon--it is near Pat O's so have a hurricane there first!

There are lots of cute boutique shops along Magazine Street when you head uptown. And drive or take the street car uptown along St. Charles Avenue to see the beautiful houses, Tulane / Loyola Universities and Audubon Park.

There is lots to do here! PM me for more information. I will be out at French Quarter Fest this weekend! Have a great time! :smile:

I would definitely recommend Magazine Street- shops, restaurants, and just cool to walk around and people watch. The best stretch is probably between Washington and Napolean Streets.
Restaurants I would suggest:
French Quarter- Stella-very high end, amazing food
Bayona-good food beatiful courtyard
Warehouse District-Cochon-Louisiana food in a cool atmosphere
Rio Mar-great Spanish food
Uptown-Casmentos-casual for oysters
Brightsens-far uptown-good <louisiana food
lilette-french-good for dinner or lunch if you are on Magazine Street

I've never heard anything about it. I would think you'd probably want to stay in the French Quarter and there are tons of nice hotels there. I used to work at the Provincial which was nice. As far as shopping, there is Saks and one store I really like is UAL (United Apparel Liquidators) which is in the French Quarter. It's hit or miss and you have to pick through, but you can get some great bargains there. And of course you'll want to eat here a lot!

I second Zophie. Stay in the French Quarter! It makes everything so much easier. The Provincial is decent priced and a short walk from Bourban Street. I would also recommend taking a ghost tour. I liked it but my boyfriend didn't. Also, try the beignets at Cafe Du Monde. I can't help you too much with shopping, as I did not really do much.

It's been too long since I went last (and before Katrina) for me to make any recommendations...but I can say, I had a great time when I went...the people were so great and I would def. stay in the French Quarter...it is the only place in my many travels where I felt I had left the USA, while still in the country...the atmosphere, culture and people were just so different. We enjoyed the many walking tours available in the area.

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde is must do.
Hurricanes at Pat O'Briens, a bit chessy but fun.

Just looked up the hotel we stayed at for our last visit: Hotel Maison de Ville, it was more 'rustic' then we are used to and at first we were not please, but we quickly realized that is part of the French Quarter and part of the whole other country, very laid back feel.

Have fun.

Hotels: check out the monteleone hotel. It is in a great french quarter locationm it a beautiful old hotel with a fabulous bar. If you want luxury, the soniat house is fantastic and the ritz is nice as well.
Canal place, where the saks is located is great for shopping. Royal street in the quarter is great for antiques. definitely go to magazine street-it is a long street with many little boutiques. It is in the uptown/garden district area. There are many beautiful homes to see in the garden district toon and stop and have a cocktail on the big front porch of the columns hotel.
If you decide to come, pm me and I can give you a ton of restaurant recommendations.