NEW ORLEANS! tips - questions - advice

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. NORDSTROM WINTER SALE Up to 40% off until February 23rd! Free shipping and free returns! Shop The Sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. We went a couple of years ago during Mardi Gras season and I would suggest jeans and layering your tops. I wore boots most of the time and was fine. HAve a great time, its a great city!

2. If you're going out walking in the Quarter wear comfortable shoes. I don't think I've ever worn really nice shoes out in the Quarter unless I'm going out to eat or something. Walking around drinking can ruin a pair of Louboutins in the French Quarter. Oh, and Mardi Gras, definitely dress casual. I really hardly ever dress up to go out here. NO is not very fashion forward like a lot of other cities. I mean you can go to the grocery store in a Juicy track suit here and look dressed up. There are a LOT of slobs in NO.

3. Hi everybody!

I'm going to New orleans in may to be a bridesmaid in my BFF's wedding. Does anybody know where I can get a good deal on a car rental online or even in NOLA. I plan to be there for a week, so I'm looking a week rental.

I'm also curious as to what is recommended to see and do by the locals. I will be planning to help with the wedding, but also plan to do some sightseeing on my own. Any suggestions advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

4. For good deals on car rentals I use priceline.com or hotwire.com no matter where I go in the US. Very cheap deals if you don't have a preference for what rental company you use.

For touristy things to do/see in New Orleans, definitely a trip to Bourbon St. in the French Quarter and the Garden District, and Cafe du Monde for chicory coffee and beignets! Yummy!

Google for more. Here's a good site to start with:
    http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/

5. I second priceline! We just got a pretty good deal on a weekly rental.

I just returned from my 2nd trip to New Orleans....things to do:

Bourbon Street
    Royal Street (for the galleries)
    Jackson Square
    Cafe du Monde for beignets
    have a muffaletta
    Palace Cafe on Canal St. for banana's foster
    Acme Oyster House (mostly for the atmosphere)
    Garden District (homes are amazing!)
    take the street car down St. Charles
    have a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's (or two)

I also took a bus tour through the city....was fabulous! Local driver, took us to a cemetery (a must-do) and also through some of the areas affected by Katrina (very heart wrenching).

6. My DH and I did the free walking tour in the french quota. It was very nice. I don't know if they are doing that still. Check with the tourist info. center.

7. thanks for all the help! :flowers: I am looking forward to the trip!

8. I second Twiggers recommendations. I would throw in:
    • getting a po boy at either Mother's or Johnny's
    • check out some live music on Frenchman St (less touristy).
    • If you will be in town on a Tuesday night, go to Maple Leaf on Oak St to check out Rebirth, arguably the best brass band in New Orleans.
    • since you will have a car, check out one of the plantations. I think Oak Alley is amazing. But Nottoway is also worth the drive.
    • go to City Park and if you can, have brunch at Ralph's on the Park.
    When in May will you be in NO? If it is the first weekend, go to JazzFest!

9. Definitely don't miss the Cafe du Monde or O'Briens!

We had a great time just going between bars one night- there was live music everywhere!

We also took a trolley tour of the Garden district and it was so gorgeous!

I had a blast in New Orleans... one of my best vacations ever.

10. Hi all,

I'm trying to help plan a bachelorette party in NOLA and I am looking for a private karoake room. Do these exists in new orleans or any the surrounding burbs?

Any help would be appreciated!

11. Hi everybody,

we're going to New Orleans on vacation next week. I'd like to take a swamp tour while we're there, as well as a tour of the damage left by Katrina. I did a Google search, but it seems that a variety of companies offer such tours. Has anyone taken any of them? Any recommendations for particular operators? Also... I'm more than open to non-tour-related recommendations about what to do while in New Orleans.

Thanks in advance!

12. Are you going to be staying at a hotel or B&B? If so, it is always a good idea to get recommendations from them. They will know which operators are still in business, reliable, etc.
    It is going to be VERY hot and humid so be prepared for it. Lots of water and loose clothing, ok?

13. Make sure you visit Cafe du Monde! That's a must when you're in New Orleans along with wandering around the French Quarter.
    I also recommend riding the streetcar. There's nothing better than sitting in one and looking at all the great houses along St. Charles Avenue. Even just walking around looking at the houses in Uptown and the Garden District. Magazine St. is great for shopping. The cemetary tours are a popular thing to do as well. They are quite a different sight than in any other major city.
    Audubon Park and Zoo are nice as well, especially if you're traveling with children.
    Without the kids, I would recommend Bourbon Street just for the experience. Pat O'Briens is a great spot and you have to try a Hurricane while you are there. Delicious!
    Make sure you always have an umbrella! The weather can change in an instant down there. I always had a small one in my purse and it came in handy many times.
    Let me know if you have any other questions!

14. I've been on a swamp tour and it is a nice way to spend an afternoon but if you're only going to be in town for a few days I would skip this one. I don't know the name of the tour company but it was located in Crown Point, LA which is about 40 minutes away from the city. It would take up most of your day and it's not all that exciting.

Are you planning a family trip? If so, I would recommend the Children's Museum, the Aquarium, and the amusement park at City Park. Also, a street car ride along St. Charles Ave. is a good way to take in local architecture and kids love it.

15. Thanks for all the recommendations, ladies! We're leaving tomorrow; and I'm taking a list of all the things y'all recommended. :flowers: