New or Vintage?

cotinara

Feb 9, 2013
So I bought my first Bal bag! However its an ebay purchase and is a City from 07. But I am super excited because of the research I did on the leather of that year appealed to me the most.

If you had a chance would you buy only the new bags or try to reach out and buy the "vintage" or early year balenciagas?

Congratulations on getting a 2007 City. What color? Hope you will post a pic or two.
I think that once you have this bag in your possession you will see how wonderful the older bags can be. My first bag was an eBay purchase as well, a 2005 Caramel City. Then I wanted a new bag so I ordered from Bal NY. The City they sent was dry and papery and when I compared the two, the oldie was way more lovable. I sent the bag back but they only give credit so if you are curious and can't get to a store that has these bags....beware of the Balenciaga policy. Get one from Barneys. I love that store and they give a full refund.

Since you have asked this in my collection thread I will respond there as well.

I just acquired a 2006 ink in chèvre leather and I must say the leather quality is impressive! Personally I won't mind buying the 'vintage' bags provided they are in mint condition, but that's often hard to come by. I will still buy the newer ones if I love the colours. To me both have their own merits and I'd go with what makes my heart sing :smile:

So I bought my first Bal bag! However its an ebay purchase and is a City from 07. But I am super excited because of the research I did on the leather of that year appealed to me the most.

If you had a chance would you buy only the new bags or try to reach out and buy the "vintage" or early year balenciagas?

For me, it's both. If I can find what I want new, or something comes out in a color that I have been dreaming of (which is what happened with my bleu mineral), I will buy it new. I already have my next purchase planned and it will likely be a new bag. But, if I think I will use a bag less frequently, or if there is a color or style that I missed when it was new, I have no problem buying vintage. I also have a vintage purchase planned, my pre-owned bag will probably be a City in black with RGG (12)H, only because I don't see myself using it super often and I like to measure the price I pay by how often I will use something.

If I had the money, I'd get both! I love looking and hearing about how wonderful the quality of the vintage leather is and when you find that vintage bag in great condition it's honestly the most amazing treasure!

That being said, the thought of a brand new bag gets me so excited, because it's brand new. You know where it's been, no one's used it before you and you get to break it in and really make the bag yours.

I guess if I had to make a decision, I'd go for brand new for my first, just because it's my first one ever. But after that, I think I'd go and explore the vintage range available, just because there's so much selection and the quality doesn't seem to be able to be beaten.

i've only bought a few new ones over the years. they seem to drop their value by a few hundred dollars really quickly, so i try to buy used if i can!

I agree and the reason being is that balenciaga bags have oversaturated the market. Bags (vintage now) used to sell above retail on ebay because they were so limited and so highly coveted. That is why many true die hard bal fans who started collecting from the very beginning have lost their passion for bal as a result of the overproduction, decrease in quality, discontinuation of G21 and ridiculous discounts offered by retailers (this here says a lot about the new bals). Not to mention many new to bal don't know any history on vintage that they cannot truly appreciate the value of it...it is silly how much some of these vintage bags are bidding so low on ebay.

I agree and the reason being is that balenciaga bags have oversaturated the market. Bags (vintage now) used to sell above retail on ebay because they were so limited and so highly coveted. That is why many true die hard bal fans who started collecting from the very beginning have lost their passion for bal as a result of the overproduction, decrease in quality, discontinuation of G21 and ridiculous discounts offered by retailers (this here says a lot about the new bals). Not to mention many new to bal don't know any history on vintage that they cannot truly appreciate the value of it...it is silly how much some of these vintage bags are bidding so low on ebay.

i know. i recently got a new 2005 calcaire box for $600