New or Preloved? A Really Tough Decision!!

collector007

Nov 29, 2012
CONNECTICUT, USA
I am trying to decide whether I should buy a preloved black caviar M/L with gold hardware or a new one. I have read about the declining quality of the caviar being gray instead of black and the gold hardware chipping off and I am wondering if an older preloved bag is the way to go because maybe the quality is better?

Last edited:

OCMomof3

Feb 26, 2013
Southern CA
I wouldn't discourage you from it. I had a great experience buying my 227 from Fashionphile -- the bag was even better than described. I, for one, won't pay the current prices. So a very careful approach to the pre-loved market (no Ebay for me!) is my solution. GL!

Aug 19, 2009
If you have fund for a new one, you should get a new bag from the department stores or Chanel Boutique, and worry free of its authenticity. If your fund or budget is set for a preloved bag, then why not. Just make sure to authenticate the preloved bag here TPF or 3rd party. Good luck!

MASEML

O.G.
Nov 25, 2008
Just to add on to purchasing new - it's typically a nice feeling of purchasing from a boutique, they wrap it up nicely with a bow and flower, it's great! That said, if you found a preloved version for a great price, I wouldn't discourage that either.

pinkny

Dec 31, 2013
I think it is best to buy new because even though they are not made as well now, the wear and tear on a preloved bag sort of counteracts that. With new, you know it is real.

CATEYES

Lovin My Sons & Dogs
Aug 1, 2011
Cali
Who wouldn't want a brand new bag instead? Of course! But for the bag you are wanting, they are available at very reputable resale stores online frequently (meaning: m/l, black, caviar, ghw). If it were me, I would try to find this in new or like new condition consigned. If you want a bag that is cruise, or limited colors/material, or seasonal, but new to ensure you can get it at all.

chanel-girl

Cartier Love
Jun 24, 2007
I think the caviar looking for gray rather then black that you are referring to was mostly around 2012 from what I read as well… I also in think from what I read that it may just have been more that the caviar was more matte then in the past. The gold is something I have been wondering about myself but from looking at resale stores online I have noticed that classic flaps from 2009 and earlier sometimes do still show some fading on the turn knob on well used pieces. I was thinking that gold plated jewelry does fade eventually so although it is nice that real gold was once used, I don't know if it is more durable then what is currently used. Maybe someone else knows?

Last edited:

CATEYES

Lovin My Sons & Dogs
Aug 1, 2011
Cali
Hmmmm I've wondered the same and if the new bags we have with ghw will end up fading as well...I assume they will. Most of my bags are either shw or rhw and they do not seem to fade. The more recent black on black classics (black painted hardware) seem to have a problem wearing off the paint as some fellow TPF'rs have mentioned. I sure hope they fix that before they bring out again because so many of us want one. I for one wouldn't close the turn lock as often to try to stave it off longer. Pretty bad to have to do that for such an expensive bag tho .....

VernisCerise

May 7, 2014
It's actually hard to find a preowned caviar m/l in good shape for a good price, especially with burgundy lining. So one needs a lot of patience and luck:smile:.

jashie

Mar 10, 2013
If you can afford to get a new Chanel, then go for it. Preloved is good for if you want to avoid the higher price of a new bag. But i can justify buying my purses at the boutique because i can avoid having to worry about authenticity and repairs.

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
ladysarahinlondon
:wonderingI bought second hand and was very very happy with what I got and the money I saved. I also bought new things from the boutique and the quality seems to be just as good as the second hand ones, plus such a wonderful experience. :yes:The only thing I'd say is that, I inspect things in person so happy with quality before I commit to buying. Some vintage items can be in a terrible state.

Luv iz Louis

Jul 22, 2012
Australia
I have brought pre-loved (such as the bag in my avatar) and also new from boutique. For my Jumbo and M/L Lamb it was pre-loved as I could not afford the new price from the boutique - but I brought from a reputable seller (never eBay) and had them authenticated first. I have purchased pre-loved from Fashionphile, Yoogis & Timeless Luxuries with no issues.

To be honest, it is nice buying from the boutique - it is a thrill but at the end of the day it is only a box, paper bag and fake flower - and that experience of for me was not worth it when I could save over $2000 each on those bags by buying pre-loved.

My GST, WOC and CC shoes I did buy from the boutique though as the savings were not so great for me pre-loved on those.

The quality of the bags I did buy pre-loved more than exceeded my expectations and I could not be happier and so is my bank account.

But I can only say inspect the photos carefully before buying pre-loved or ask for extra ones if you need more confirmation.
As for buying new? - well there are a few threads on here where people have brought new from the boutique and had issues too with their brand new bags. So please inspect your bag if buying new carefully before outlaying the hard earnt cash in the excitement.

Last edited:

vyvy288

Oct 14, 2014
:cool:i would prefer a new one, its just the feeling of being the original owner, priceless :cool:

Apr 29, 2014
If there's a big price different and the quality is good, I am more than happy to buy pre-loved. My reissue was pre-owned and I love it more than some of my brand new Chanel. :smile: