New NM return policy effective after March 5, 2009

AJC

Oct 21, 2007
Honestly, just wanted to share this with you and see what you all think.

I know times are rough and stores are trying to secure their sales, however, I do expect sooo much more from high end dept. stores. IMHO their new return policy is quite outrageous -- but perhaps that's just me.

I know that after I paid off my BG card balance I'll be getting rid of this one card forever. I don't want to bring my business to a seemingly high end store that's just soo unaccommodating (call it the last straw, since I've had many other unpleasant dealings with NM - not so much with BG.. but still..)

I attached the new policy as a pic.

Attachments

• NM .jpg
    NM .jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 534
Also NM related: check your interest rates on your NM card. They raised my interest rate to some kind of draconian rate (I think 23.99% or so)that made me put the card away, and I have great credit and have never made any late payments etc.

I know they also try to slip that in so that people keep charging BEFORE knowing of the rate change.

Thanks for posting this, I was just trying to and couldn't. I wanted to know what you guys think of this too. I just received a package today, and what's disturbing is that one of the shirts was an OBVIOUS return, because not only didn't it come in it's original packages (NEW), but it didn't have ANY tags on it either :rant:

Last week, I HAD to return THREE items that I really wanted, because two of the tops were OBVIOUSLY used/worn and smelled like they had been worn and had no tags AND the skirt that matched on of the tops had a big ugly hole in the hem line and no tags...so what's up with that? How is that going to work?

What SPECIFICALLY do you guys NOT like about this new policy. My major concern is receiving used/stuff that does not have tags on it nor comes with it's original packaging. :huh:

Edited: ALso, I complained that I didn't like NM packing/packaging...not that the clothes don't come with goo-goobs of tissue and a gold-seal (sometimes), but like the USED top I got today, two buttons we're buttoned WRONG and this are delicate button and I always have to iron or send MOST of my things cleaners to be streamed before I wear them, because they are tackily packed (to me).

LASTLY, I purchased a Fendi bag that I got last week, that was so...NOT NEW and rather flawed looking that I joined this group to see if it was authentic! I took it into a Fendi expert at NM and they assured me it was, and that the sticky stuff in the pockets, and glue on the handle lining and ragedy dust bag and flaws are natural--she said that she sells $10,000.00 purses with similar flaws and not to worry. She told me that the ragedy dust bag happens because people come in the store and steal dust bags ALL the time :devil::banned: I'm GLAD that my "new" Fendi IS authentic, but it's troubling that I had to take my bag in to double/triple check because of the slip-shod job the the packing dept. does.

The GOOD NEWS is that obviously they CS has been getting tons of calls from TPF and I honestly believe this has to do with some of these return policy changes: :tpfrox:

Last edited:
is NM the store that would take returns for absolutely everything, worn and unworn? or is that Nordstroms?
If it IS NM, then I say good for them for changing their policies, but I hate this % if you return past a certain date crap that Best buy does as well, the 'restocking' fee.
such crap.

please only post DEALS & STEALS in our DEALS & STEALS Forum:idea:

Swanky Mama - sorry, wasn't sure were to post it!!!! And technically it is related to shopping or Deals and Steals -- although it is neither Deal or Steal...

I thought this forum was also meant for educating consumers -- and what NM is doing now is plain WRONG and people should know about it, don't you think?

Obviously they should not take returned items back but discounting items being returned after a certain amount of days like the restocking fees is such BS. I really like BG but I'm not so into NM that I won't cut up my card and take my business elsewhere.

i dont see anything wrong with this new changes. NM seems still very accommodating to their customers, imo.

60 days that was there always, but cutting 15% of the price for exceeding this is wrong. I lived in Europe all my life and I understand that most stores there don't even give 60 days, but one gets spoiled in the U.S. -- and I would imagine that they would rather want to make customers happier than not (given the times especially). Not to mention their sneaky interest rate hikes...

Hi Swaky mama (love your name :o) Sorry about posting in the wrong place. Where should we take this conversation. I"m newish here and I don't know. Thank you so much in advance for your help in directing me/us where the proper place to discuss this. :blush:

Thanks for posting this, I was just trying to and couldn't. I wanted to know what you guys think of this too. I just received a package today, and what's disturbing is that one of the shirts was an OBVIOUS return, because not only didn't it come in it's original packages (NEW), but it didn't have ANY tags on it either :rant:

Last week, I HAD to return THREE items that I really wanted, because two of the tops were OBVIOUSLY used/worn and smelled like they had been worn and had no tags AND the skirt that matched on of the tops had a big ugly hole in the hem line and no tags...so what's up with that? How is that going to work?

What SPECIFICALLY do you guys NOT like about this new policy. My major concern is receiving used/stuff that does not have tags on it nor comes with it's original packaging. :huh:

Edited: ALso, I complained that I didn't like NM packing/packaging...not that the clothes don't come with goo-goobs of tissue and a gold-seal (sometimes), but like the USED top I got today, two buttons we're buttoned WRONG and this are delicate button and I always have to iron or send MOST of my things cleaners to be streamed before I wear them, because they are tackily packed (to me).

LASTLY, I purchased a Fendi bag that I got last week, that was so...NOT NEW and rather flawed looking that I joined this group to see if it was authentic! I took it into a Fendi expert at NM and they assured me it was, and that the sticky stuff in the pockets, and glue on the handle lining and ragedy dust bag and flaws are natural--she said that she sells $10,000.00 purses with similar flaws and not to worry. She told me that the ragedy dust bag happens because people come in the store and steal dust bags ALL the time :devil::banned: I'm GLAD that my "new" Fendi IS authentic, but it's troubling that I had to take my bag in to double/triple check because of the slip-shod job the the packing dept. does.

The GOOD NEWS is that obviously they CS has been getting tons of calls from TPF and I honestly believe this has to do with some of these return policy changes: :tpfrox:

OMG, how do you know about the calls?!!?!?! I got mulitple items over time from NM that didn't have any tags -- so how am I suppose to prove to anyone at NM that it wasn't me removing tags? Recently I also got Prada boots that turned out too tight and had to return them -- but my package had no sales/shipment receipt -- which, according to the new policy would not qualify it for return!!! I cannot even imagine getting an explanation like you did about the purse you bought - it's riddiculous, and I've been getting waaayyy better CS at Bloomies (which, I believe, is not considered as high end as NM wants to be considered). So, where's the logic - they treat their customers like hell!

As someone that has worked in retail for a decent chunk of her life...this seems more than fair. If you don't like something, return it in a timely manner (60 days is twice what an average store will give you). If you return it after that, you forfeit part of your original investment. By giving you months to decide if you want the product, they're forfeiting a part of their profits, so they're not asking anything of you that you don't already expect from them.

Most likely, NM will have to discount, if not completely write off, a product returned after 60 days (and most likely, a product returned before that). So, dawdling on a return not only means that they lose a portion of their theoretical profits if they're able to sell the bag, but it also reduces the odds that they can sell it at all. Unsold merchandise sitting in their store (or in your home - if you plan to return it but sit on it for months, it might as well be unsold) costs them a great deal of money, and in this economy, I can't blame them for asking their customers to step it up just a bit.

Many designer boutiques that sell the same merchandise don't allow ANY refunds other than store credit, and many only give you two weeks for even that. I have plenty of problems with NM as a store, but I don't think this is one to get mad over.