New Mare-Poor Old Girl

lizavet8

"Ruffian"
O.G.
May 3, 2007
I almost never vent-but I just have to! I traded surgery on a foxhound for an old Tb mare-she's very dear, dressage/hunter-jumper. She's over 20. My DH (also a vet, mind you) decided to put our gelding in with her....by the next morning, her shoulder had a HUGE laceration, the fence was smashed, and I was ready to kill me husband. We sewed her up, and this morning there's 12 inches of snow, so even light riding is impossible. (Montana) I'm thinking I should trade my DH to someone.

oh poor dear....
naughty gelding!!!

I am glad she found a home with you, I hope you can find a nice pasture mate for her...

any pics yet?

Poor girl :sad: Jingles her way!!

You are such a sweetie for taking her in. Shame on that gelding picking on the new girl. :cursing:

Post pics of her when you can!

When I put my TB gelding down (Nov. 5, '06...worst day of my life), my Morgan got very depressed. They had been together for years...both geldings. I got a "loner mare" QH from a friend, to keep my Morgan company. Not only were her ground manners TERRIBLE, she was downright NASTY towards my Morgan. He remained a gentleman, though, and she finally called a truce. She went back to her family and I got a lovely little mare...my Morgan's in love! I kept the new one in her stall, for a couple days...she could see/smell my Morgan, then introduced them slowly. This approach worked best. It's nerve-racking!!!

Thank you guys so much! I'm just spoiling the crap out of her. She's um, not going to win any beauty contests, but I'll post a photo after her sutures come out. Did I mention that my DH also put our mini mule in with her that day? Hmmmm.
(I would never willingly own a miniature mule, by the way, a client gave it to my husband. All my horses have chest high scars where she double barrels them.)