New Mare-Poor Old Girl

lizavet8

"Ruffian"
O.G.
May 3, 2007
Lonesome Dove
I almost never vent-but I just have to! I traded surgery on a foxhound for an old Tb mare-she's very dear, dressage/hunter-jumper. She's over 20. My DH (also a vet, mind you) decided to put our gelding in with her....by the next morning, her shoulder had a HUGE laceration, the fence was smashed, and I was ready to kill me husband. We sewed her up, and this morning there's 12 inches of snow, so even light riding is impossible. (Montana) I'm thinking I should trade my DH to someone.

CobaltBlu

Butterfly Wrangler
O.G.
Oct 20, 2006
oh poor dear....
naughty gelding!!!

I am glad she found a home with you, I hope you can find a nice pasture mate for her...

any pics yet?

kristie

"H" is for horses?
O.G.
Oct 10, 2006
Poor girl :sad: Jingles her way!!

You are such a sweetie for taking her in. Shame on that gelding picking on the new girl. :cursing:

Post pics of her when you can!

skyqueen

O.G.
Aug 5, 2007
When I put my TB gelding down (Nov. 5, '06...worst day of my life), my Morgan got very depressed. They had been together for years...both geldings. I got a "loner mare" QH from a friend, to keep my Morgan company. Not only were her ground manners TERRIBLE, she was downright NASTY towards my Morgan. He remained a gentleman, though, and she finally called a truce. She went back to her family and I got a lovely little mare...my Morgan's in love! I kept the new one in her stall, for a couple days...she could see/smell my Morgan, then introduced them slowly. This approach worked best. It's nerve-racking!!!

lizavet8

"Ruffian"
O.G.
May 3, 2007
Lonesome Dove
Thank you guys so much! I'm just spoiling the crap out of her. She's um, not going to win any beauty contests, but I'll post a photo after her sutures come out. Did I mention that my DH also put our mini mule in with her that day? Hmmmm.
(I would never willingly own a miniature mule, by the way, a client gave it to my husband. All my horses have chest high scars where she double barrels them.)