New Marc Jacobs - faulty chain?

Jun 5, 2012
I've finally got around to getting the MJ Sullivan I've wanted for a while, and I adored it - until I saw the weird chain that it came with. One side looks like it was threaded through the wrong way, so that when you pull up a chain to wear the bag cross body, the other leather part doesn't lie flat as there's always a knot.

My bag:
w6FNab9.jpg

eeYm4ya.jpg

AbKVloC.jpg

I've contacted customer service who created a return label for the bag to be exchanged, but their stock photo also shows a twisted chain. Is it supposed to be like this?

Stock photo:
W0IsxXE.jpg

Another photo of what looks like a twisted chain Sullivan:
RoYTWn6.jpg

But this one looks like how it should be:
FHUMlBM.jpg

I'm a little slow before 1pm so initially I thought, "can't you just untwist it and loop one chain under?" but then I realized what you meant.

No, you should be able to get a leather piece to lay flat. The stock photos look like it will if the straps are straightened.

I hope the replacement is ok! If you're in the US, MJ repairs (contact info on the marcjacobs.com site) might be able to fix the chain for you, too.

I'm a little slow before 1pm so initially I thought, "can't you just untwist it and loop one chain under?" but then I realized what you meant.

No, you should be able to get a leather piece to lay flat. The stock photos look like it will if the straps are straightened.

I hope the replacement is ok! If you're in the US, MJ repairs (contact info on the marcjacobs.com site) might be able to fix the chain for you, too.

Thank you faith_ann! I've returned the bag and a replacement is on its way - hopefully this one has no problems!