New leather smell- I LOVE it, but considering buying preloved

EdgyBagsPlz

Jun 5, 2018
So does anyone else have this dilemma? I was planning on buying a new leather lv bag that I thought was going to be out yet but was delayed (petite malle souple, with canvas strap). However, a possible opportunity came up to get a chanel preloved bag that's insanely gorgeous.

Call me crazy, but that new leather smell is like some kind of drug. I love it SO MUCH. I don't think I'll ever buy from the boutique considering the price hikes. However, as silly as it sounds, I'd miss out on that fresh leather smell.

Anyone else wild about it? For me it's one more magical thing about buying new.

clj213

Aug 14, 2015
I know what you mean, I love the new leather smell too. It's so intoxicating...

However, some pre-loved bags still retain the leather smell very well. I think it depends on how much it was used. My preloved classic flap was from 2004-2005 and the smell hit me as soon as I opened the box. :P

EdgyBagsPlz

Jun 5, 2018
I love it too! That being said, both my new and pre-loved Chanel bags have a great leather smell. :smile:
I have only one Chanel bag, and I LOVE it, bought it preloved and it has no leather smell. Maybe because it's caviar, and a mini?

WineAndCoco

Jul 7, 2020
I LOVE that new leather smell! That said, I do agree that I also like to save money more. And in my experience, some preloved bags still have that yummy smell right out of the box. So best of both worlds imo ;)

On another note, there has also been a documented pattern recently where LV canvas smells like plastic and chemicals instead of leather, so I'm not sure if going that route will guarantee that smell for you as well.

cllb

Jul 21, 2012
Every one of my preloved Chanel’s smell gorgeously of leather! If you plan to get a very good condition one, I don’t think you should worry

Reactions: OCMomof3

OCMomof3

Feb 26, 2013
Southern CA
I LOVE that new leather smell! That said, I do agree that I also like to save money more. And in my experience, some preloved bags still have that yummy smell right out of the box. So best of both worlds imo ;)

On another note, there has also been a documented pattern recently where LV canvas smells like plastic and chemicals instead of leather, so I'm not sure if going that route will guarantee that smell for you as well.
Oh no! Never had that issue. As OP is considering a leather LV bag, should be fine. My leather LV bags smell amazing!

Reactions: EdgyBagsPlz

MSV0

Handbagfun
Sep 23, 2019
USA
I love the new leather smell and used bags have that faint "old" smell so I do not buy used. I also have cavier and lambskin. I feel cavier smells like leather for longer it may be the treatment of the leather which preserves the smell for longer. Has anyone else found that or is it each bag is different? Metallic doesn't have the leather smell either so I feel it is what they use to treat the leather possibly.

HappyAngel

O.G.
Apr 23, 2006
Canada
I have a metallic caviar bag that I bought 8 years ago and stored in the original box. It still has such a strong leather smell. I don't mind it at all.