New Laptops

I had a Vaio that I hated. It was the top of the line then, I paid over $3K for it and it would always shut off on me! Then it stopped working because the power outlet is not a part of the motherboard -- it is SOLDRED on! The repair people told me they do that intentionally knowing it will eventually come loose and require an expensive repair. I'd have to replace the motherboard, a $700 sony-only part. I cut my losses and got an iMac (desktop) and I LOVE it. I am buying a MacBook this summer for my daughter for school. I am an apple convert, I'll never go back to PC!

^^^I've always heard great things about Apple iBooks and powerbooks. But I've always used PC's so just don't know if the "culture shock" would be too much if I tried an apple!

My university uses all PC -- isn't it difficult to transfer files? I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to email documents or post them on line in formats that everyone could use. I may have outdated stereotypes about apple, lol:smile:

i recently purchased a 13" macbook laptop for US$1300. I bought it in HK early July or end of June. It's really worth it and im falling inlove with it. Theres another mac laptop here at home and its a 12" powerbook.

MandM said:
^^^I've always heard great things about Apple iBooks and powerbooks. But I've always used PC's so just don't know if the "culture shock" would be too much if I tried an apple!

My university uses all PC -- isn't it difficult to transfer files? I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to email documents or post them on line in formats that everyone could use. I may have outdated stereotypes about apple, lol:smile:

Actually it isn't hard anymore because mac now uses Windows... I thought i was pretty set on a vaio but now i use mac at work and since I work for a place affiliated with a school I get the 10% student discount and so I went to check out the macs... and the little 13 inch macbook is adorable! I sort of want it, it just more expesive for less stuff than the sony i was looking at so now I can't decide!

MandM, you've been looking forever now, it seems! Have you narrowed it down at all??

i have an ibook, and i absolutely love it! Before I got it, I was only used to windows/microsoft, and I never really used an apple before. It didn't take me long to adjust to the apple operating system, now I know how to work both mac and windows. Also, I think you can get windows software to put on apple. I got the iBook because all of my computers with microsoft/windows would always get viruses despite me having protection software. I heard that apple never got viruses so I decided to get it. I haven't had one virus with apple. The screen is 12in. and it is really lightweight. I purchased it a year ago in Chicago for about $1,100-$1,200 with tax(i think). Good luck!

I bought my VAIO FS Series in February. The Hard Drive crashed in March. The guy that Sony sent to repair it told me that it's a known issue. I still love this laptop, but I hold my breath every time I power it on.

MandM said:

It is definately not difficult at all. If you are willing to make a small investment and buy Microsoft Office for Mac, you will be saving all your files in the same formats as in windows (i.e. .doc for word files, .xls for excel, .ppt for powerpoint). Even if you don't want to buy Office, you can use appleworks (the Mac word processing program that comes installed on your computer) and save files in windows format--but I would recommend buying Office anyway.

I may have mentioned this a few pages back, but I'm a student right now and almost half of the proffs I have had so far have been Mac users. So you have nothing to worry about. :smile:

I would say a FJ series Vaio or a Macbook!
My school just signed a partnership with Apple so alot of the computer labs will have Macs. Plus, we get a student discount.
And alot of you know my Macbook situation... hopefully I'll have one by this weekend!

MandM said:

I'm kinda worried about that too. But Mac software seems SO much better than PC junk.
Plus, Apples are very compatiable with PC's these days... like lilian said, you can buy Microsoft Office and things... I'm just going to borrow a copy to install from my school's library! :smile:
I'm looking forward to being a Mac user... PCs have been driving me CRAZY lately!

vickitoria said:
I'm kinda worried about that too. But Mac software seems SO much better than PC junk.
Plus, Apples are very compatiable with PC's these days... like lilian said, you can buy Microsoft Office and things... I'm just going to borrow a copy to install from my school's library! :smile:
I'm looking forward to being a Mac user... PCs have been driving me CRAZY lately!

There aren't any issues anymore... I know that there used to be, but now that Macs come with Windows installed there are no issues. I use Macs at work and I'd email myself files all the time and they'd open with no problems and I'd take work home with no issues at all. It really is so much more convenient now!

If it's any incentive right now, buy a lap get a free IPod nano. I believe this applies to students and maybe educators...(I hope so! since I work for a university!)