New Laptop

I went to APPLE today and looked at their MACBOOKS for Tay,my 11 yr old.Her 12 th bday is coming up and she has kidnapped my DELL laptop ..LOL!
Im gonna buy her a laptop and Im not sure either what to get.After recently having AWFUL Vista experiences..Im hesitant to buy a DELL.Im actually leaning towards a Macbook for her.seems so much easier to use.The only prob is that she loses her entire IPHONE addy book if she switches to MAC.

Man.. I am so glad I found this thread! I am about to purchase a new laptop as well. I was originally already set on getting a dell inspiron but now after reading about VISTA I'm not so sure. I used Macs my senior year of HS for yearbook and they were pretty neat so I think I would like one. Now I guess I have to decide between a Sony Vaio (with Vista..:wondering) or a Macbook which I am unfamiliar with.

I had a Sony Vaio and now I have a Macbook pro. I love it! It takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it does everything for you! (Jill, Tay should not loose her Iphone addys....macs are an apple product!)

^she loses her IPHONE stuff because its loaded on a PC.Apple techs said no way to restore it.has to b manually put in if she switches from PC to MAC.I can burn her music to a disc and reload it to a MAC though

Cheap Dells are just that...cheap. If you get a Dell with quality hardware it should be fine. Jill, is your current laptop messed up due to hardware issues or Vista...or Tay loading a bunch of crap software on it? We use Dell's at work and they're perfectly fine.

Ok, then...that's a software issue and really has nothing to do with Dell. Just get XP and be done with it! Actually, I think when you order a Dell you can ask them to load XP instead of Vista...even though the new Vista service packs have helped a lot of the issues. I'm assuming you've loaded those?

gees i need a new laptop too. mine died on me today.. it's officially dead lol and it's a fujitsu.. i was thinkin of getting a sony vaio? or ..hp? i dont really like dell and not sure if i wanna get a mac .. any input ppl ? thanks!

omgblonde, there is certainly a deficit in software specific for Macs in the market - hence PCs remaining quite popular. I think though SW developers are starting to market to demand and that will change. You might benefit from a google search to find a couple of mac user forums and see how they've gone about dealing with that problem - I don't personally use Paint Shop Pro so I can't really help...:Push:

Ahh, I hope I don't have too much trouble finding MAC versions of programs. But that's true, Mac's seem to be getting so popular lately the companies will have to make Mac versions! I can get Photoshop on the Mac, which is basically the same. Thanks for your help!

You can run Windows on a Mac. Just get BootCamp or something that will let you run dual boot, then run PSP on the Windows side.

Oooh really? I had heard stuff about running Windows on Mac, but wasn't completely sure. I'll look into it, thanks!

If you're going to get a PC, make sure you get XP if you possibly can! Vista is annoying as all get out! I just got a new laptop from Dell last week (an M90- gaming machine disguised as a small business machine, hehe!!) and I love it. My brother has a Vaio, and loves it- they also come in some pretty colors!

I'm not a mac fan- I've had one at work for going on 8.5 years now and it still confuses the heck out of me. But if you are a fan, the Macbook pros are really nice!

I finally decided on getting a MacBook over a PC today. They're really not at all expensive. I bought mine for about $1,200 for the laptop alone at my campus bookstore (with an education discount). I got the 2008 white MacBook with 2.4GhZ (compared to the cheaper 2.0 GhZ version). It's a step below the MacBook black. I love it to death! I've been on for about 3 & 1/2 hours straight. I can't imagine going back to PC's ever again. This is coming from a sworn PC fanatic. I've been using PC's since I started using computers.

I highly recommend the MacBook. For those who are stuck on PC's, trust me, it's not a hard transition. You can "double click" by tapping on the touchpad with two of your fingers simultaneously. It's very easy to use. The iSight photo booth program is so fun too LOL. I've been taking pictures of myself and my dog for a while with all the special effects.

The only caveat is that I wish it had the option of accidental damage insurance coverage. I could have bought it full-price through Best Buy, but they don't offer accidental damage coverage either.

The guy that helped me with my decision said there are rumors Apple is phasing out the white style laptops and only making the aluminum design laptops (think MacBook Pro and Macbook Air), probably sometime late this year/early next year. I will be so sad if that's true because I love my white laptop. I think it's so signature Apple, and I think it would be a huge huge mistake if they phased out the white MacBooks.