New Laptop

I checked out a mac laptop from my school library, and not haveing a right click bothered me SOOO much. It seems like with a mac you always need to use two hands to browse around, whereas in my PC, i can just use my right hand...

That really turned me off, so I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon

with Mac laptops, you just tap the touchpad with two fingers instead of one to right click. on Mac desktops, you hold down the 'control' key and click regularly. i personally prefer the two-finger click to having to move my finger to the right mouse button, i think it's a lot more convenient when you get used to it. Macs have almost all the same functionality of a PC, you just have to give yourself the time to adjust and learn.

and Charles, i don't think there's any concrete reason that she's looking to get a new laptop. sometimes you're just ready for a change, ya know?

with Mac laptops, you just tap the touchpad with two fingers instead of one to right click. on Mac desktops, you hold down the 'control' key and click regularly. i personally prefer the two-finger click to having to move my finger to the right mouse button, i think it's a lot more convenient when you get used to it. Macs have almost all the same functionality of a PC, you just have to give yourself the time to adjust and learn.

and Charles, i don't think there's any concrete reason that she's looking to get a new laptop. sometimes you're just ready for a change, ya know?

i didn't know about the 2 vs 1 finger taps... i'll have to try that out... maybe I will reassess my decision

I get that, but why waste a grand (at least) on something if you really don't need to? I mean, that money could go towards a new bag or clothes and shoes...right?? ;)

I get that, but why waste a grand (at least) on something if you really don't need to? I mean, that money could go towards a new bag or clothes and shoes...right?? ;)

lol but do any of us really need a thousand dollar purse any more than we need a thousand dollar laptop? same with trading in a car after a few years, even though it still runs fine. sometimes you get bored with what you have, which i think is perfectly legitimate, as long as you're not skipping out on your financial responsibilities to do it.

I have a first gen Macbook and I love it. It's going to be 2 years old in May and still works great despite me spilling a bottle of vitamin water on it.:amazed::Push: I really like it and it is easy to figure out even if your are used to a PC. I have a PC desktop and it's easy to go back and forth on a daily basis without getting confused.

lol but do any of us really need a thousand dollar purse any more than we need a thousand dollar laptop? same with trading in a car after a few years, even though it still runs fine. sometimes you get bored with what you have, which i think is perfectly legitimate, as long as you're not skipping out on your financial responsibilities to do it.

Well, I'd hope that a car or new clothes/bags/shoes elicit more of a visceral response from most people than something as utilitarian as a computer.

aa2, I don't think I've said one thing negative about Macs in this thread. I just don't see why you'd get a new PC if the one you have is working perfectly fine. Obvs, we have different views abt it, but it's like saying "Hmmm...I think I want a new toaster..even though this one is toasting my bread just fine and meets my needs"

no, its not perfect. It has some flaws.
I have had it for some time now and it is time that i do change my laptop.
I am not just asking for peoples opinions because i woke up one morning and decided today i need a new laptop.

I actually never had a problem with my sony ever , and its been amazing.

no, its not perfect. It has some flaws.
I have had it for some time now and it is time that i do change my laptop.
I am not just asking for peoples opinions because i woke up one morning and decided today i need a new laptop.

Ok, I guess I'm confused. Why do you think this new workload will make any difference? What kind of workload are we talking? At this point in time, is your laptop fast enough?

its pretty fast, i just feel that its a good time to maybe change my laptop im looking at either another sony vaio maybe changing it up all together and switch to mac its just i have gotten such mixed reviews from many people. I have had this sony for quite some time thats why.

Sorry, I'm just a bit confused. First you say it's amazing and never had any issues with it. Now you're saying it has flaws. You still haven't answered if you've upgraded the memory either. I was just trying to save you some money, but I'm getting the feeling that you just really want a new laptop...just because. Which is fine. It's your money. If that's the case, you know what I'm going to recommend. ;)

I havent had MAJOR problems with it, but overall it is a great laptop I cant deny that.
I have not upgraded the memory as of yet.
I dont want a new laptop...just because, I do need one , the one I have is good, but I think i need to upgrade. Thanks for the saving tip, thats always needed, but i just wanted to know from everyone what they would prefer if it came down to a mac or pc, and if pc i would probably just get another vaio because im so used to it.

I dont want a new laptop...just because, I do need one , the one I have is good, but I think i need to upgrade.

This is what I mean ^^^ You say you don't want a laptop just because, yet you have no reason as to why you think you might need a new one. You see what I'm saying? Why do you think you need a new one? You've yet to give any reason other than you think it's time. You say it's fast enough. You say it's not given you any problems and it's been amazing. SO WHY????

OH THE HUMANITY!!!

Well, I'd hope that a car or new clothes/bags/shoes elicit more of a visceral response from most people than something as utilitarian as a computer.

aa2, I don't think I've said one thing negative about Macs in this thread. I just don't see why you'd get a new PC if the one you have is working perfectly fine. Obvs, we have different views abt it, but it's like saying "Hmmm...I think I want a new toaster..even though this one is toasting my bread just fine and meets my needs"

hey, some people think a car or a purse is equally utilitarian! I had a Compaq for a long time that was a fantastic computer, did everything I needed it to do perfectly, but after a couple years I couldn't wait for it to die because there were prettier and cooler things on the market. Is that the most logical feeling? No, probably not. But looking at the same screen for 5 years might get a little monotonous, depending on how you interact with your computer. Personally, despite the fact that I love purses and clothes, I see a lot more value in using that money to replace a 5-year-old computer, even if the computer hasn't started to malfunction yet, because it will eventually (and probably sooner rather than later, if it's a 5-year-old laptop).

I'm going to get a Macbook soon, and I've been a die-hard PC user for my entire life. I've just heard awful things about Vista.. When I get my Macbook, I'm going to run Windows XP on it (which I like) via a program called VMWARE. That way I can run my Microsoft Office on it for free too. :yes:

hey, some people think a car or a purse is equally utilitarian! I had a Compaq for a long time that was a fantastic computer, did everything I needed it to do perfectly, but after a couple years I couldn't wait for it to die because there were prettier and cooler things on the market. Is that the most logical feeling? No, probably not. But looking at the same screen for 5 years might get a little monotonous, depending on how you interact with your computer. Personally, despite the fact that I love purses and clothes, I see a lot more value in using that money to replace a 5-year-old computer, even if the computer hasn't started to malfunction yet, because it will eventually (and probably sooner rather than later, if it's a 5-year-old laptop).

I don't doubt that people find purses utilitarian as do they cars (why do you think Hondas are so popluar ;) ), still, you're going to tell me that you get the same excitement when you put on a hot outfit and sexy shoes that you do when you copy and paste on your Mac??