New Laptop

Mar 14, 2008
charles: when i try to on it, it makes this LOUD noise and then it'll turn off by itself.. so basically it just wouldnt start .. i think it's the hard disk or motherboard or something
sigh

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

Charles

Sucks at budgeting
O.G.
Jan 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Fl
charles: when i try to on it, it makes this LOUD noise and then it'll turn off by itself.. so basically it just wouldnt start .. i think it's the hard disk or motherboard or something
sigh
Either it's the fan that's broke and not cooling the CPU adequately, or it's the hard drive motor. Is it a kind of whining noise?

Either one would be relatively easy to fix. Maybe 100 if it's the fan or 120 if it's the hard drive. Unless you know someone handy who can take apart a laptop. It's not that hard.

Purses

Feb 24, 2007
I finally decided on getting a MacBook over a PC today. They're really not at all expensive. I bought mine for about $1,200 for the laptop alone at my campus bookstore (with an education discount). I got the 2008 white MacBook with 2.4GhZ (compared to the cheaper 2.0 GhZ version). It's a step below the MacBook black. I love it to death! I've been on for about 3 & 1/2 hours straight. I can't imagine going back to PC's ever again. This is coming from a sworn PC fanatic. I've been using PC's since I started using computers.

I highly recommend the MacBook. For those who are stuck on PC's, trust me, it's not a hard transition. You can "double click" by tapping on the touchpad with two of your fingers simultaneously. It's very easy to use. The iSight photo booth program is so fun too LOL. I've been taking pictures of myself and my dog for a while with all the special effects.

The only caveat is that I wish it had the option of accidental damage insurance coverage. I could have bought it full-price through Best Buy, but they don't offer accidental damage coverage either.

The guy that helped me with my decision said there are rumors Apple is phasing out the white style laptops and only making the aluminum design laptops (think MacBook Pro and Macbook Air), probably sometime late this year/early next year. I will be so sad if that's true because I love my white laptop. I think it's so signature Apple, and I think it would be a huge huge mistake if they phased out the white MacBooks.
I like the white one also, but I don't think I can purchase one now. The one I have is fine so far.

amanda

I Bleed Georgia Red
Oct 18, 2005
New York City
www.purseblog.com
Ahh, I hope I don't have too much trouble finding MAC versions of programs. But that's true, Mac's seem to be getting so popular lately the companies will have to make Mac versions! I can get Photoshop on the Mac, which is basically the same. Thanks for your help!

Oooh really? I had heard stuff about running Windows on Mac, but wasn't completely sure. I'll look into it, thanks!
this is not overly related to the subject of the thread, but if you commonly use graphics software and plan to continue using it, it'd be wise to go ahead and switch to Photoshop anyway because it's industry standard. Also, if you're a student, the Adobe Creative Suite (including photoshop) can be purchased at a DEEP discount at a lot of educational websites.