NEW jumbo and the can links arent completely shut- normal?

xstacyx

O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
Hey all, I am so bummed out right now :sad: I ordered a blk caviar jumbo with s/h from Nordys and got a 500 gift card and recieved it today- I was examining the chain links and I found more than 3 that are not COMPLETELY shut- there is a small gap-

Do you ladies think I should send it back and request another one? Or is this normal, PLEASE give me your expert opinion :crybaby:

OPPS sorry I mispelled CHAIN in the title- silly me

my bf has my camera so I cant take pictures, but a couple of the chain links arent completely closed, there is a small gap- I am going to call my SA right away tomorrow and ask for an exchange - has anybody else experienced this?

Hi, I actually bought one of the "cheaper" Chanel flap bags in September -- I don't know the style name, but it was a calfskin flap for $1995, black w/ silver, closed with a magnet CC rather than a turn-lock CC -- and some of the chain's links were slightly open. One of them was extremely open. My father is really good with repairing things, and was able to squeeze them shut by putting a clean rag over them and then squeezing them lightly with pliers. (If you try this, don't do it without the rag!! That prevents scratches!) He said it was easy to do, and didn't require a lot of strength.

Or just return it. I couldn't return mine because I live hundreds of miles away from Chanel and didn't want to make a return trip.

Hugs,
Jonesy

Im pretty sure that all of the bags have a few openings in the chains...I freaked out at first when I noticed one on mine, but its not that big of a deal and I have noticed that on ALOT of the bags with chains.

It's up to you...if it really bothers you then ask for an exchange. After I found a small gap in the chain on mine I started to look closely at the chains on bags in the boutique and other PF'ers pictures and I noticed that alot of the chains don't completely close. Now, if you ask me, for what we pay we should be able to get a bag that is perfect...but nothing is perfect and you pay for the name more so than quality.

Hello dear Xstacyx,
Would you mind telling me how rigid is your new black jumbo (in terms of its structure/leather)? Is it Cavier leather? If so, is it quite rigid and strong like a box? Or is it quite light in weight and more on the 'soft' side and with the bottom leather 'sagging' a bit? (Sorry if I mis-use any words here because English is not my first language.)

And sorry to ask this question here, but yesterday when I went to the Chanel boutique to try on one of the 2009 black caviar jumbo with SHW (permanent line), I surprisingly discovered that it is soft and sort of squashy?! The sale lady told me it is because the cavier leather this year seems to be processed differently. She also told me maxi is even softer (which I've known from TPF).

I just did not know that they also change their permanent line (classic cc lock jumbo flaps) to softer cavier leather since 2009 S/S? DO they? Could anyone help me with this question, please? Thank you so very much.

Hi Xstacyx, sorry I forgot to say in my previous post, I think Chanel should at least take a look at your bag and if it really bothers you (I know it would bother me a lot) maybe you could get another jumbo and return the one you are unhappy with. Good luck!

Good luck xstacyx! Im sure if u explain the situation they will do their best to help you!

so hard to get a customer these days, I'll be surprised if they aren't bending over backwards for you already :yes:

I actually just PM'd you, but esp with Nordy's they will exchange it out for you if you want. But i had the same issue with 3 of my links on my jumbo and when i exchanged it (not due to links but because the flap was starting to curve out).. the second one also has a chain link that has a gap.. i figured it was just normal.

my jumbo flap was pretty rigid- not soft and saggy..and it also was very light..I asked my SA and the jumbo I bought is original caviar not the softer version...I also called Carolyn today and she is shipping me another bag and I should have it tomorrow... I am keeping my fingers crossed that this bag will be perfect

Thank you very much, Xstacyx.
It's a relief that some jumbos seem to still use traditional firm leather caviar such as yours. I still cannot get over the shocking disappointment I had when I felt the soft and squashy caviar leather of the 2009 jumbo I held in Chanel the other day. I don't think it would last long at all. And it would probably lose its 'boxy' shape very soon (due to the flimsy soft leather at the bottom and both sides of the bag). I was sad to see a Chanel flap in such state.

I've always loved so much Chanel classic caviar flap for its rigid boxy shape and firmness of the leather, but now this new caviar really really bugs me!

All the best wishes to you with the new jumbo and I am so envious of you (I so want to have a jumbo with strong caviar leather too)!!!

Last edited: