Workplace New Job, New Bag, New Style

caitvee

Feb 25, 2012
After spending my 20's purchasing the standard Louis Vuitton speedy 30, my first pair of black Fifi Louboutins, and splurging on countless overly trendy tops without really giving a thought to creating a cohesive wardrobe that matched not only my personality but my profession (and at that time, the professional goals I was working towards, which was law school), I can officially say I've sold off my last piece of Louis Vuitton canvas and plan on purchasing a Gucci GG Marmont black leather bag for my 31st birthday (next month) to celebrate the start of a new job at a sizeable law firm in town (also next month).

Don't get me wrong, I still love the Louis Vuitton brand (I'm eyeballing the pochette metis as a summer go-to purchase and will eventually grab the black epi leather tote as a work staple) and own several pairs of Louboutins, amongst other designers, but after I turned 30, I realized I need to make smarter decisions when it comes to handbags, shoes, wardrobe, and style. It's easy to read all these trendy blogs and instragram accounts and covet all the pieces you see... but I had to step back. I am a young professional in a pretty conservative line of business, but I want to still be fashionable and on-trend both during the week and on weekends without spending a small fortune on things that couldn't work in both atmospheres. So over the course of the past month, I've (at times, unwillingly) uploaded and sold bags, shoes, and blouses that - while gorgeous and fun - spent too much time in my closet given they were no longer appropriate for my lifestyle. Granted, I enjoy my cocktails with girlfriends and my boyfriend on weekends and definitely still purchase sexier outfits for those nights.. but the bright purple Rockstuds I wore once and hot pink Louboutins I wore twice just need to go.

The reason I'm sharing my fashion story is that I'm curious if there are others, like me, who are in the professional world and have evolved their styles over time to not only incorporate their love of designer bags (and shoes) but also created a look that has taken you from Monday to Friday into the weekend.

I'll add I'm super into fitness (crossfit) and have consciously upgraded my athleisure look as well. I tend to run errands on weekends wearing my Nikes and Alala, so I wanted that to carry over with my professional wardrobe upgrade!

Reactions: mar4712
I have a similar 'problem' :smile: Actually, over the last year I have been trying to find my own style that would be appropriate for a law firm, but also youthful and pretty enough so I would still feel like 'me' wearing it :smile: I've tried some formal outfits, but I just hate wearing blazers, trousers and shirts, so I mainly stick with skirts, cute dresses and pretty tops, but I try to choose neutral colours :smile: I don't like too masculine or granny-like formal suits... I especially like the brands from the Max Mara group, Ralph Lauren, but also Miu miu and Prada can fit quite nicely into the office. Actually, I don't think anybody cares what you wear as long as you work hard 24/7 and bring good results, at least where I work... :coolio: I've seen some lawyers from the top law firms wearing pink bags etc. and it looked fine.

For me the most important thing is that I feel comfortable so I can work undistractedly, which I can't if wearing a stiff shirt or an itchy sweater :biggrin: I don't have to share my office with anyone so not many people see me anyway ;)

Ha, btw, I've also recently started my 'gym' collection and love wearing that casual pieces in my free time. Esp. Armani's gym line which I recently discovered, it's so feminine :smile:

I have a similar 'problem' :smile: Actually, over the last year I have been trying to find my own style that would be appropriate for a law firm, but also youthful and pretty enough so I would still feel like 'me' wearing it :smile: I've tried some formal outfits, but I just hate wearing blazers, trousers and shirts, so I mainly stick with skirts, cute dresses and pretty tops, but I try to stick with neutral colours :smile: I don't like too masculine or granny-like formal suits... I especially like the brands from the Max Mara group, Ralph Lauren, but also Miu miu and Prada can fit quite nicely into the office. Actually, I don't think anybody cares what you wear as long as you work hard 24/7 and bring good results, at least where I work... :coolio: I've seen some lawyers from the top law firms wearing pink bags etc. and it looked fine.

For me the most important thing is that I feel comfortable so I can work undistractedly, which I can't if wearing a stiff shirt or an itchy sweater :biggrin: I don't have to share my office with anyone so not many people see me anyway ;)

I hear you! I meant more like just growing up my style a bit - still me, just the "30 year old" version. I'll be more client facing in my new role, so I want that first impression to not say "Elle Woods" as much anymore (even though I love her & that movie!).

I often thought about using an instagram to document the transition.. I know there are 800 instagram fashion accounts but there are not many dedicated to young women professionals (a few I do love though) and with that said, not all of us are buying $2,000 St. John suits, so it would be nice to get a mix of steal and splurge. I don't have the time right now to totally blog my life, and I don't find myself all that incredibly interesting haha, but maybe it'll be a creative outlet in addition to a way to share what I find, what I've sold, how my style has evolved.

We shall see...

^^ Exactly :biggrin: I like that Elle Woods comparison, I've slowly moved away from pink :P Lol, I've been searching office outfits online when I have a free minute :biggrin: but I still haven't found the right path, I think... If I try to be too formal I often think it doesn't suit me and looks odd on me, but I really want to build a more formal style since I already look younger :doh:

Well, we'll see, maybe some good advice will be given in this thread :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: caitvee
I've been a die-hard fan of Banana Republic since high school, but I've loving Brooks Brothers as of late. Both use good materials and are conservative while being fun and not breaking the bank. Other options are Club Monaco, Rebecca Taylor, White House Black Market, Elie Tahari, and Ann Taylor.

I'm short (contributes to looking young), so I follow Extra Petite, Hello Framboise, and Stylish Petite. I'm drawn to their balance between looking professional and youthful, but not young.

Reactions: caitvee
I often wear the same outfit everyday to work so there is no thinking needed. A simple white shirt, black pants, and black bags. All have great materials and fits. I buy several of these same items. I learn this "uniform" trick from Mark Zuckerberg and Steve Job :biggrin: learning from the masters really increase efficiency.
For other fashionable and colorful items, they are taken out on weekends and nightouts.

My workplace style evolution has been a lot of trial and error, haha. When I first starting working for a bank straight out of undergrad, I brought my Coach outlet purse and wore whatever was a discount from Express. Anyway, after a few years of that I went back to school for my graduate degree.

Now, after graduate school, I've refined and polished my look. I knew I had a ton of difficulties buying slacks due to having to shorten the length, and button up blouses never look flattering on me (in fact, I think a professional manly style just doesn't look flattering on me period). I donated all my old and tailored slacks and also got rid of about 3/4s of my button up blouses. I started purchasing skirts (way easier to deal with, and to tailor if needed) and blazers/cardigans with some simple basic tops. Blazers look awesome on me, and it can really up my confidence and appearance. They also transition well with jeans. Cardigans provide a softer look. I also bought more pumps (always on sale, of course!).

As for my work bag, the Coach is sadly put away in the closet. I have a Prada now. :smile: