New Hobbies During The Pandemic

Since I no longer really care about handbags and shoes like I used to, I have been collecting art. Not super expensive pieces, but cool pieces from galleries around the world; lowbrow, pop surrealism art. I have always loved art, but never really thought about just HOW much I love it. My husband says we should start charging for admission into our house :lol:

Here is just one of my gallery walls:

IMG_6291.jpeg

Since I no longer really care about handbags and shoes like I used to, I have been collecting art. Not super expensive pieces, but cool pieces from galleries around the world; lowbrow, pop surrealism art. I have always loved art, but never really thought about just HOW much I love it. My husband says we should start charging for admission into our house :lol:

Here is just one of my gallery walls:

View attachment 5143353
I love the image that is mostly orange and red!

Are those Blythe dolls? So cool!

• Love
Reactions: KittyKat65 and 880
Thanks! The orange and red one is by the artist Shag. It is called "The Man Who Sold The World" (I am a huge David Bowie fan).

And, yep, those are Blythe dolls. Good eye :biggrin:

View attachment 5144861View attachment 5144871
Is the one on the far left an original (in a newer outfit)? I know very little about them but I know the originals are really rare and the re-release dolls are sought after.

i've been a lifelong knitter and in the last few years, have knitted up more things than ever! All the while, shopping online and adding hugely to the giant yarn, notions & needle stash, so much so that i could probably open a small shop!

Reactions: lulilu
i've been a lifelong knitter and in the last few years, have knitted up more things than ever! All the while, shopping online and adding hugely to the giant yarn, notions & needle stash, so much so that i could probably open a small shop!
I took up knitting again -- motivated by the pandemic and the prospect of a new grandchild. I've made him (and friends' babies) blankets. I am a soft wool fanatic to baby blankets are good for me. And I like the challenge of a (fairly) complicated pattern.

Reactions: Hermes Nuttynut
I used to knit a lot before I moved someplace that's hot 90% of the year. Going into the pandemic, I knew I would be staying home a lot so I also wanted a hobby and knitting just didn't feel important to me anymore. I thought about taking up sewing, but I've tried it before and I just didn't enjoy it. I also considered embroidery, but there are machines that embroider in no time these days.

I took up beading (more specifically beadweaving) as a way to keep my hands busy. I know beaded items are not always that popular, but I feel like the ones I've made are pretty even if they aren't in fashion. They take quite a lot of time to make, but often less time than a knitted item used to.

Here are some of the projects I've completed:
P_20220713_120116.jpg
Earrings in sterling silver and glass
Bracelet in black onyx bicone beads and sterling silver
Necklace in glass seed beads and rhinestone studded clasp

P_20220713_120230.jpg
Necklace in glass seed beads, dyed blue agate, blue lace agate, and sterling silver
Necklace in glass beads, morganite beads, and unknown alloy metal magnetic clasp
Bracelet in glass seed beads and sterling silver clasp
Bracelet in glass seed beads, faceted morganite beads, and rose gold colored alloy metal clasp

P_20220713_120310.jpg
Bracelet in glass beads, crystal stone, and snap buttons made of an unknown metal
Necklace in glass beads and an unknown metal alloy

Some of those are my own designs and some are made from patterns. As you can see, I use a mix of glass seed beads and semi-precious beads. Early on, I used inexpensive clasps, but I've been trying to move away from that because it turns out I react to most metals. For a lot of my newer items, I've been using sterling silver for clasps.

It's a fun hobby if you're stuck at home, but I have to warn you that taking this hobby on tends to result in amassing a bead collection.
I have seed beads in almost every color imaginable now! So I can really match a lot of things if I find some nice stone beads that I want to work into a design.

I took up knitting again -- motivated by the pandemic and the prospect of a new grandchild. I've made him (and friends' babies) blankets. I am a soft wool fanatic to baby blankets are good for me. And I like the challenge of a (fairly) complicated pattern.
Lucky babies!!!!!!!! Hope that you've also made something fab for yourself too!!!

I used to knit a lot before I moved someplace that's hot 90% of the year. Going into the pandemic, I knew I would be staying home a lot so I also wanted a hobby and knitting just didn't feel important to me anymore. I thought about taking up sewing, but I've tried it before and I just didn't enjoy it. I also considered embroidery, but there are machines that embroider in no time these days.

I took up beading (more specifically beadweaving) as a way to keep my hands busy. I know beaded items are not always that popular, but I feel like the ones I've made are pretty even if they aren't in fashion. They take quite a lot of time to make, but often less time than a knitted item used to.

Here are some of the projects I've completed:
View attachment 5446693
Earrings in sterling silver and glass
Bracelet in black onyx bicone beads and sterling silver
Necklace in glass seed beads and rhinestone studded clasp

View attachment 5446694
Necklace in glass seed beads, dyed blue agate, blue lace agate, and sterling silver
Necklace in glass beads, morganite beads, and unknown alloy metal magnetic clasp
Bracelet in glass seed beads and sterling silver clasp
Bracelet in glass seed beads, faceted morganite beads, and rose gold colored alloy metal clasp

View attachment 5446695
Bracelet in glass beads, crystal stone, and snap buttons made of an unknown metal
Necklace in glass beads and an unknown metal alloy

Some of those are my own designs and some are made from patterns. As you can see, I use a mix of glass seed beads and semi-precious beads. Early on, I used inexpensive clasps, but I've been trying to move away from that because it turns out I react to most metals. For a lot of my newer items, I've been using sterling silver for clasps.

It's a fun hobby if you're stuck at home, but I have to warn you that taking this hobby on tends to result in amassing a bead collection.
I have seed beads in almost every color imaginable now! So I can really match a lot of things if I find some nice stone beads that I want to work into a design.
Wowwwwwzaaaaaaaa! Your beadworks are stunning!!!!!!!!!!! i especially love the wide cuffs - they must feel so nice on the skin!!!!!! Such talent :smile:

Wowwwwwzaaaaaaaa! Your beadworks are stunning!!!!!!!!!!! i especially love the wide cuffs - they must feel so nice on the skin!!!!!! Such talent :smile:

Aw, thank you!

The cuffs are definitely my favorite pieces so far. I particularly like the way the black onyx one came out. It goes with so many outfits.

It's really not hard to learn. It takes the same mindset as knitting. Also, it takes time.