New here! Have a question about my new Maggie!

steph315

Feb 15, 2010
I got a silver/grey Maggie op art handbag for my birthday, and I LOVE her! It was just the one I wanted.

4442525772_52dac1c038_m.jpg

Thing is, it's light in color, and I'm so worried about the fabric looking dirty and dingy after a while. I wore it for the first time today and found myself babying it, which isn't practical for me. I went to the Coach store and saw a leather Maggie in the brass/walnut color, which looks very nice. I LOVE the grey fabric, but the leather is nice too and probably much more durable, so I'm thinking about exchanging.

What do you guys think? Do the fabric handbags wear well, or should I get the leather? I'm a busy, on the go mom and I want to get a good amount of life out of my bag.

OMG!! That is an awesome bag! Congrats on getting one in that color, I wanted the Lurex one but it was sold out. All my fabric bags are still in excellent condition~~even after a year and a half...I also have 3 kids, 6 and under btw =)
P.S. The Maggie in my avatar is the ONLY leather bag I own, right now I am using the Turquoise Op Art Kristin~~

I would consider exchanging it if you are worried about it, but if you already cut the tags off and wore it, you can't exchange it anymore. I have a lot of Op Art bags, even one that is gray (and green) like yours and so far they are fine. I just keep a small bottle of oxyclean stain remover in my purse just in case there are any small spots. One time I got ice cream on the bag and the oxyclean got it out! I kind of do baby mine, but the fabric is durable and the oxyclean spray works like a charm on any spots. Coach also makes a cleaner for their signature jacquard fabric.

I have a walnut Hailey, which is the same leather as the walnut Maggie, it's lovely but not necessarily the most durable leather, it tends to scratch easily. If you want durability without having to baby the bag too much, I'd look at non-Madison leather bags like the Kristins or Peytons, or maybe the bone Maggie which has a bit different leather, to see if there's something you love more than your op art Maggie - if not, keep the Maggie, treat her and she should clean up just fine.

I have a lurex fabric bag that I used Scotch Guard on....I would not recommend spraying your entire bag, but you could test a small area on the bottom to see if is ok and then if desired treat the entire fabric part of the bag.

Thanks everyone! I literally wore it from the mall parking lot to the Coach store, the lady there said I could exchange it even though the tag was removed (my husband took the tag off before giving it to me).

I was wondering about the durability of the leather Maggie and the scratching. I'm thinking maybe I'll keep this one and save my money for a second casual day to day bag!

I understand your concern. But, if you're like me...you'll probably baby the bag until you get comfortable with it and then you'll loosen up and find the bag can hold it's own just fine. Remember, Coach doesn't want people to have issues with their product and ergo they wouldn't make a bag that would fall apart under average use. They couldn't afford that sort of mindset...so even the material that may seem "weak" it is actually very strong and durable. You'll end up surprised, I believe.

The SA may take it back...but a lot of us on this site have strong feelings towards people using a bag and returning it. Because, you have to remember, someone will walk into the store after you and buy that used bag at FP. Using it once, twice or a bazillion times doesn't make much difference, a used bag is still a used bag. And, heres the thing, if a bag isn't "damaged" Coach will resell it...they have no reason not to. I'm sure, if the situation were reversed, you wouldn't want to be the one on the receiving end. Also, it's not a personal thing...but a few weeks back a similar discussion was on the board, and the point was made that who knows how another person really lives...did they set the bag on the floor of their car? On a bench at the park? In a grocery store cart? There are so many "unknowns" that it's always safer to err on the side of caution and not have a hand on perpetuating the cycle of used bag returns.

Unfortunately with Coach's current return policy you never quite know what you are getting when you think you are buying "new"! This really sucks because if a bag isn't brand new, it shouldn't cost nearly as much! Apparently they reattach tags to returns w/o tags sometimes! I recently bought a FP delete from the outlet that I am pretty sure was a return and might have been used. If it wasn't used why were the care cards and dustbag removed? I just have a feeling it was.... I think a lot of people leave the tag on and use the bag unfortunately. One time someone bought a bag at the outlet and found a chap stick in it! I mean there is no reason a new bag should have chap stick in it. I totally agree with your point of view, but as long as Coach is so generous with their return policy we will never be sure if the bag is truly new or not when we buy, whether we buy at the outlet or FP store! I guess if you buy online you might be guaranteed it is unused?

Unfortunately with Coach's current return policy you never quite know what you are getting when you think you are buying "new"! This really sucks because if a bag isn't brand new, it shouldn't cost nearly as much! Apparently they reattach tags to returns w/o tags sometimes! I recently bought a FP delete from the outlet that I am pretty sure was a return and might have been used. If it wasn't used why were the care cards and dustbag removed? I just have a feeling it was.... I think a lot of people leave the tag on and use the bag unfortunately. One time someone bought a bag at the outlet and found a chap stick in it! I mean there is no reason a new bag should have chap stick in it. I totally agree with your point of view, but as long as Coach is so generous with their return policy we will never be sure if the bag is truly new or not when we buy, whether we buy at the outlet or FP store! I guess if you buy online you might be guaranteed it is unused?

oh yeaaa, the last purse that i bought (the madison spectator shoulder bag) had the returning person's receipt in the bag. i'm 100% sure it was previously purchased. :P

I don't mind if they are returned... just if they are returned they should include the care cards and the dust bags.... and definitely not use it or leave a chap stick or anything of that nature behind! Also don't the SA's inspect the returns at all to make sure they aren't messed up? Or are they too busy?

Wow...I'm sort of sorry I asked. I was really excited to join this group but pretty bummed to get jumped on so quickly. After doing a quick search I realized that I'm not the first one to make that mistake. I find the whole you "shouldn't return a purse if you've worn it for even 5 minutes" silly and lacking in common sense. Call me stupid, I just don't get understand that.

Don't worry, I won't be posting here again.

Wow...I'm sort of sorry I asked. I was really excited to join this group but pretty bummed to get jumped on so quickly. After doing a quick search I realized that I'm not the first one to make that mistake. I find the whole you "shouldn't return a purse if you've worn it for even 5 minutes" silly and lacking in common sense. Call me stupid, I just don't get understand that.

Didn't mean to offend you... I was just pretty sure it was against the policy so I didn't think they would accept it without tags, but I could be wrong. From what you described it sounded fine, I was referring to people who return and leave stuff in the bag, etc.

I got a little off topic in what I said in my earlier post, it wasn't referring to you but what other people do when it comes to returns... I apologize.

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum, please don't be put off by other peoples comments .
I think that if your SA said to return it then do so and don't feel bad as I am sure this happens alot more than people want to admit to. Please stay as you really will learn alot about this great brand and it really is a fun place to hang out :smile: