new Hamilton leathers...

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in awhile as we moved and I have been just over my head with stuff to do. Things have calmed down a bit and I am wanting to buy a new bag - the Hamilton in luggage. I had lunch with a friend yesterday and she had this bag - hers was very slouched (she has had it for a couple of years) and I just loved it! So I just called our MK store to see if they were going to have a sale soon. I hate to buy something and then shortly afterwards it's on sale! The SA told me no sales were planned but he also told me that the older Hamiltons were tumbled leather and that all of the new Hamiltons are Saffiano pressed leather. I don't know if I should be disappointed or not! If I bought one now would mine ever look like my friend's? What do you all think of the new leather? Was I given the correct information?

These answers are all probably here somewhere but as I have not been on this website and out of the loop for quite sometime I am clueless as to what is going on with MK - and I am wanting to go and buy the Hamilton today or tomorrow! I value your opinions and help!! Thank you!!

The saffiano is nice, it will never be like the tumbled leather original I was told by MK. You can get the tumbled leather from a ebay seller, but I haven't found stores that sell them. I am debating if I will keep my tumbled leather bag I got from TJmaxx or get the saffiano myself, thats another option check your Marshall's and TJMaxx.

The regular or, as you call it, tumbled leather, Hamiltons aren't being made right now. Many of the regular leather luggage Hamiltons went on sale in the spring and early summer. You may still be able to find one on eBay or at the discount retailers.

Personally, I like the saffiano leather ones better, especially in the larger n/s tote size. It gives the bag more structure so it holds its shape better over time. I don't particularly like the deep slouch of the regular leather ones over time. Plus, saffiano leather is water, stain, and scratch resistant, so very easy to take care of. :smile:

personally, i like the saffiano leather ones better, especially in the larger n/s tote size. It gives the bag more structure so it holds its shape better over time. I don't particularly like the deep slouch of the regular leather ones over time. Plus, saffiano leather is water, stain, and scratch resistant, so very easy to take care of. :smile:

+1

Thank you for your replies. The only reason I wanted the luggage color Hamilton was because my friend had it and I really loved it. The leather was beautiful - it was very slouched and it looked like something from Italy GHW. I'll have to go to the store tomorrow and see what all they have in person. I get more impressed when I'm in the store. I have two of their bags - the luggage color Miranda (which I think is now called the Harlow? I'm very confused about that one - I paid $995.00. It is such a beautiful and soft - calfskin - luggage color. And the other one I have is the black Hamilton with silver HW - NS. I'm not a fan of the large padlock - I would like a much smaller lock and different shape - these remind me of the locks on the lockers at school. Anyway, I'm in the mood for another MK!! Any suggestions?

Thank you for your replies. The only reason I wanted the luggage color Hamilton was because my friend had it and I really loved it. The leather was beautiful - it was very slouched and it looked like something from Italy GHW. I'll have to go to the store tomorrow and see what all they have in person. I get more impressed when I'm in the store. I have two of their bags - the luggage color Miranda (which I think is now called the Harlow? I'm very confused about that one - I paid $995.00. It is such a beautiful and soft - calfskin - luggage color. And the other one I have is the black Hamilton with silver HW - NS. I'm not a fan of the large padlock - I would like a much smaller lock and different shape - these remind me of the locks on the lockers at school. Anyway, I'm in the mood for another MK!! Any suggestions?
I think the regular leather luggage color Hamilton with ghw is a classic MK bag. Everyone who has one loves it. I don't prefer the regular leather, but others do.

The Miranda is still called the Miranda. You probably have the regular size. I'm basing that on the price you paid. I have the large and absolutely love it! It is also a regular calfskin leather, but the Miranda is structured with wings similar to the MK Selma bags, which I love, also.

I also have the black n/s Hamilton with shw. Such a great bag! However, mine is in saffiano leather. There are so many new styles of MK bags. You should definitely take a look online at his new website and check out the styles in store when you get a chance. :smile:

I think the regular leather luggage color Hamilton with ghw is a classic MK bag. Everyone who has one loves it. I don't prefer the regular leather, but others do.

The Miranda is still called the Miranda. You probably have the regular size. I'm basing that on the price you paid. I have the large and absolutely love it! It is also a regular calfskin leather, but the Miranda is structured with wings similar to the MK Selma bags, which I love, also.

I also have the black n/s Hamilton with shw. Such a great bag! However, mine is in saffiano leather. There are so many new styles of MK bags. You should definitely take a look online at his new website and check out the styles in store when you get a chance. :smile:
Hi ubo22!

My Miranda - the two top corners fold down and a fairly long piece of leather with gold tone pieces are on it and it weighs it down. It does not have wings on the side.

So your black Hamilton is Saffiano leather! :thinking: I don't know the differences in the leathers right now and will have to catch up. I've always loved the beautiful soft leathers as I am not hard on my bags. When I called the store today the SA told me that the Hamiltons used to be "tumbled leather" (softe)r and now they are "saffiano pressed leather" (more structured) - all of them - you can't get them any other way now (unless you find them somewhere else). It may be that when I go to the MK boutique I will like something better than the Hamilton - though I have seen pictures here of a Hamilton in cement color and dark dune which really appealed to me.

I have not gotten into the bags with the wings on the side yet. I'm usually the type that after a style has been around for awhile, or on its way out, that I decide I like it! :shucks:

I tend to like classics and have learned from experience that colors are not for me - I prefer the neutrals. Though I love looking at other people's beautiful color bags.

Thank you for responding! ;)

I would definitely go in store if you have one near because online browsing is never as good as in store unless you know already know what you would like. Its definitely preference when it comes to leather b/c I am torn between saffiano and pebbled leather it depends on the bag. I honestly don't think anyone can give you a suggestion b/c no one knows your style or wardrobe, so my best suggestion is go in store and you will find something that suits you. Good luck!

I have the hamilton in luggage and my 2 year split milk on it =( nothing major but a few spots remain on it, does anyone know how or have cleaned their hamilton purse before? the MK cleaner didnt work =/

Hi ubo22!

My Miranda - the two top corners fold down and a fairly long piece of leather with gold tone pieces are on it and it weighs it down. It does not have wings on the side.

So your black Hamilton is Saffiano leather! :thinking: I don't know the differences in the leathers right now and will have to catch up. I've always loved the beautiful soft leathers as I am not hard on my bags. When I called the store today the SA told me that the Hamiltons used to be "tumbled leather" (softe)r and now they are "saffiano pressed leather" (more structured) - all of them - you can't get them any other way now (unless you find them somewhere else). It may be that when I go to the MK boutique I will like something better than the Hamilton - though I have seen pictures here of a Hamilton in cement color and dark dune which really appealed to me.

I have not gotten into the bags with the wings on the side yet. I'm usually the type that after a style has been around for awhile, or on its way out, that I decide I like it! :shucks:

I tend to like classics and have learned from experience that colors are not for me - I prefer the neutrals. Though I love looking at other people's beautiful color bags.

Thank you for responding! ;)
LOL. I just did a search and discovered the Harlow! I had seen this style before, but never once took a look at it closely. So that's what you have. I don't think it was ever called the Miranda, was it? It's a pretty bag.

There's pebbled leather (soft), calfskin leather (soft), vitelo leather (soft), saffiano leather (structured), and so on. You should definitely take some time at the store to familiarize yourself.

The Hamilton comes in the east/west (medium), north/south (large tote), and European east/west (medium to large tote with compartments and adjustable, removable shoulder strap). There is also the new Hamilton Traveler in vitelo leather with its own unique shape and design (wings similar to the Selma but belt and lock similar to the Hamilton with soft leather similar to the Sophie).

I'd have to say that the current classic, most popular MK bag styles are the Selma, Hamilton, and Sutton in the regular line and the Miranda in the higher end line. There was also the Gia, but that was before my time. :smile:

I also like neutrals, but have to have some color sprinkled in based on my wardrobe and coloring. I know I look good in jewel tones, so tend to gravitate to those. Dark dune is a beautiful, neutral, brownish, grey (i.e., taupe). You also can't go wrong with black or navy, luggage, pearl or heather grey, or dark khaki if your focus is on neutral colors.

I have the hamilton in luggage and my 2 year split milk on it =( nothing major but a few spots remain on it, does anyone know how or have cleaned their hamilton purse before? the MK cleaner didnt work =/
You can try alcohol-free baby wipes. If that doesn't work, you might want to try another brand of leather cleaner. I use Coach leather cleaner and think it works pretty well.

ubo22, you are so helpful to everyone!!

I am going to try to show a picture of my Miranda - only this is not "mine" - this is an ad that I kept just for my records. I didn't buy it here - I bought it at our local store. I will take a picture of mine as I think it is so beautiful - little lighter than it shows here and such soft, smoothe leather. I hope this works....

sorry, it didn't work...couldn't post the pic

the picture I wanted to post is an actual page from MK website and it shows that my bag is called "Miranda". I bought it around 6 months ago. They no longer have it on their website but the bag - in a different leather is now called "Harlow". Strange that they changed the name. Mine is a luggage color, called (then) "large Miranda zips shopper". The two top corners bend down and the leather has gold hardware to keep it in place. Maybe someone else has one like this?

Last edited:
ubo22, you are so helpful to everyone!!

I am going to try to show a picture of my Miranda - only this is not "mine" - this is an ad that I kept just for my records. I didn't buy it here - I bought it at our local store. I will take a picture of mine as I think it is so beautiful - little lighter than it shows here and such soft, smoothe leather. I hope this works....

sorry, it didn't work...couldn't post the pic

the picture I wanted to post is an actual page from MK website and it shows that my bag is called "Miranda". I bought it around 6 months ago. They no longer have it on their website but the bag - in a different leather is now called "Harlow". Strange that they changed the name. Mine is a luggage color, called (then) "large Miranda zips shopper". The two top corners bend down and the leather has gold hardware to keep it in place. Maybe someone else has one like this?
new love chanel, I just saw your bag on the Zappos, Nordstrom, and Neiman Marcus websites, and it is called the Miranda Shopper or the Miranda Zips Shopper. You're right, the Harlow is the same bag with a different type of leather (i.e., grained or metallic leather). The Miranda Shopper is made from a smooth leather like yours, but sometimes it's also called that in the grained leather version. The websites are all over the place with what they call it, but it's definitely your bag. :smile:

Hello everyone, I haven't posted in awhile as we moved and I have been just over my head with stuff to do. Things have calmed down a bit and I am wanting to buy a new bag - the Hamilton in luggage. I had lunch with a friend yesterday and she had this bag - hers was very slouched (she has had it for a couple of years) and I just loved it! So I just called our MK store to see if they were going to have a sale soon. I hate to buy something and then shortly afterwards it's on sale! The SA told me no sales were planned but he also told me that the older Hamiltons were tumbled leather and that all of the new Hamiltons are Saffiano pressed leather. I don't know if I should be disappointed or not! If I bought one now would mine ever look like my friend's? What do you all think of the new leather? Was I given the correct information?

These answers are all probably here somewhere but as I have not been on this website and out of the loop for quite sometime I am clueless as to what is going on with MK - and I am wanting to go and buy the Hamilton today or tomorrow! I value your opinions and help!! Thank you!!

Just curious if you were able to track down your luggage hamilton in the original leather. I was in the same situation as you were, I love the original non-saffiano leather hamilton but didn't get it when it was in stores. I saw one at TJMax over the summer but it had silver hardware and I wanted gold. I was finally able to get one on ebay but without a lock. I just took one from one of my other hamiltons and put it on there. It's truly a great bag!