New Gucci 1955 Horsebit Bag

So now I've narrowed it down to these two: the "Small" in the logo canvas and the "Mini" in the black. I think they are equal in terms of a casual vibe - the Small because of the canvas and the mini because of the size (and web strap).

I tried the Small on again last night and it's still under consideration as I really don't have any shoulder bags but have many cross bodies. Is this enough of a reason? Any advice is welcome, as it's so hard to choose a bag you haven't been able to play with in person!

Last edited:
So now I've narrowed it down to these two: the "Small" in the logo canvas and the "Mini" in the black. I think they are equal in terms of a casual vibe - the Small because of the canvas and the mini because of the size (and web strap).

I tried the Small on again last night and it's still under consideration as I really don't have any shoulder bags but have many cross bodies. Is this enough of a reason? Any advice is welcome, as it's so hard to choose a bag you haven't been able to play with in person!

View attachment 5059944

View attachment 5059945

Sounds like you are going through the same struggles I went through - praticality vs what your heart wants.

I, too, lusted over the Small (in canvas/brown) for months and even missed the chance (twice!) to buy it at the price before the price increase that happened in Nov 2020 (CAD$2850 -> CAD $3055) :facepalm: and finally pulled the trigger but on the Mini. Tried it on at home with several outfits and even asked a bunch of people which one they think is a better choice (majority chose the Mini) but for some reason I still couldn't get the Small out of my head and it felt like I was cheating on the Mini :lol:. I almost convinced myself the Mini is a better, more practical choice but at the end I went back and exchanged it to the Small and so far I can tell you it really makes my heart sing every time I look at it.

The shoulder strap doesn't seem to be a problem for me (even when the bag is empty) and I like my corssbody high so, again, not a problem. With the Mini, I even considered getting more holes punched on the leather strap so I can wear it higher but my SA told me that would void the 2 year Gucci warranty so that's no bueno :/

For me, ultimately, I threw all pros and cons out the window and went with what my heart wants - like when Miranda had that giant list of pros and cons (more cons than pros) on Steve but knew what she wanted when she saw herself with the milk-stache and Steve on the Brooklyn Bridge. SATC fan anyone? hehe. It's not like one of them is completely useless and from personal experience if I really love something I've always found a way to make it work especially when none of the "cons" on the Small are a deal breaker. Also, when I look at the Small I feel like I got more bang for my buck even though the Mini does come with 2 straps but somehow Small just feels more luxurious to me.

All and all I'm definitely not dissing the Mini here but from what you've mentioned I think you should go with the one that gives you butterflies :heart:

PS- in Canada the Return Policy for in-store purchase is 14 days for return and exchange and 30 days for online purchases so interesting to hear there's no refund where you are

PPS- maybe post some mod shots? would love to see the Small on you!

Sounds like you are going through the same struggles I went through - praticality vs what your heart wants.

I, too, lusted over the Small (in canvas/brown) for months and even missed the chance (twice!) to buy it at the price before the price increase that happened in Nov 2020 (CAD$2850 -> CAD $3055) :facepalm: and finally pulled the trigger but on the Mini. Tried it on at home with several outfits and even asked a bunch of people which one they think is a better choice (majority chose the Mini) but for some reason I still couldn't get the Small out of my head and it felt like I was cheating on the Mini :lol:. I almost convinced myself the Mini is a better, more practical choice but at the end I went back and exchanged it to the Small and so far I can tell you it really makes my heart sing every time I look at it.

The shoulder strap doesn't seem to be a problem for me (even when the bag is empty) and I like my corssbody high so, again, not a problem. With the Mini, I even considered getting more holes punched on the leather strap so I can wear it higher but my SA told me that would void the 2 year Gucci warranty so that's no bueno :/

For me, ultimately, I threw all pros and cons out the window and went with what my heart wants - like when Miranda had that giant list of pros and cons (more cons than pros) on Steve but knew what she wanted when she saw herself with the milk-stache and Steve on the Brooklyn Bridge. SATC fan anyone? hehe. It's not like one of them is completely useless and from personal experience if I really love something I've always found a way to make it work especially when none of the "cons" on the Small are a deal breaker. Also, when I look at the Small I feel like I got more bang for my buck even though the Mini does come with 2 straps but somehow Small just feels more luxurious to me.

All and all I'm definitely not dissing the Mini here but from what you've mentioned I think you should go with the one that gives you butterflies :heart:

PS- in Canada the Return Policy for in-store purchase is 14 days for return and exchange and 30 days for online purchases so interesting to hear there's no refund where you are

Thank you, @VSUVUS, this is a helpful response. I have never seen the mini in person, which would probably help a ton. :smile: I'm traveling next week, though, and hope to be able to see both these bags in person and side-by-side. I'll try to get mod shots if I do.

As for the return policy, I bought it online through Nordstrom and their in-store Gucci boutique (a Nordstrom SA brokered the transaction). I assumed I had Nordstrom's return policy and didn't check the paper receipt in the envelope that described the Gucci 14-day policy. It's been 21 days and the Gucci SA would not budge on a return but is allowing an exchange, thankfully.

Reactions: VSUVUS
Thank you, @VSUVUS, this is a helpful response. I have never seen the mini in person, which would probably help a ton. :smile: I'm traveling next week, though, and hope to be able to see both these bags in person and side-by-side. I'll try to get mod shots if I do.

As for the return policy, I bought it online through Nordstrom and their in-store Gucci boutique (a Nordstrom SA brokered the transaction). I assumed I had Nordstrom's return policy and didn't check the paper receipt in the envelope that described the Gucci 14-day policy. It's been 21 days and the Gucci SA would not budge on a return but is allowing an exchange, thankfully.

aaahhh I see. Yeah, boutiques inside a department store have their own policy usually and if your city happens to have boutiques in department stores and stand alone stores, they usually don't take each other's returns/exchanges and online orders directly from the brand's site can only be returned/exchanged at stand alone stores too (from my personal experience in Canada anyway).

I forgot to mention...if Mini turns out to be a better size/overall choice for you but you still want that shoulder bag look, you can try ordering a short shoulder strap from many 3rd party retailers out there and possibly play with mixing material/texture look ie a chain strap, a pearl strap etc if you are feeling adventurous. I did that with some of the straps I already own and not bad! Otherwise your only shoulder bag option is the guitar strap...although not a bad look definitely felt very casual with the canvas/brown. I also wondered if it could've been worn as a belt bag but didn't try.

I think it might be OK? I guess I'm reconsidering my objectionstempImageHHaVI9.pngtempImage58NAxd.pngtempImage3NPuMN.png. It's a beautiful bag, just a little larger and dressier than I am used to. For the record, I'm 5'1.

I love this bag to bits but it is making me bald from all the hair getting caught in the snaps!!

So interesting that several of you are having this experience. I have long, straight hair that kind of goes everywhere and catches on everything, and I've never had an issue with my horsebit strap. I don't ever wear it crossbody, leave it at middle-length, and have all the exposed snaps covered. Maybe that's why???

Reactions: sleekeasy
So interesting that several of you are having this experience. I have long, straight hair that kind of goes everywhere and catches on everything, and I've never had an issue with my horsebit strap. I don't ever wear it crossbody, leave it at middle-length, and have all the exposed snaps covered. Maybe that's why???

I don't either and the same type. I catch it in my Hermes Evelyne strap quite a lot :eek: .

Let's all be careful though.

Reactions: sleekeasy
I don't either and the same type. I catch it in my Hermes Evelyne strap quite a lot :eek: .

Let's all be careful though.

Oh yes! My Evelyne strap and the grommets on the holes of my LV Pochette Metis strap too. Not to mention several styles of my earrings and necklaces. :lol:

I wish there was a way we could get these menace bags to attack only the grey hairs.