New Granite Countertop help!

UnaFlor

Jan 28, 2009
I hope I'm posting in the right area. I am enjoying the home decoration post and really felt inspired to help my mother update her kitchen. Her home is a ranch style home. A few years ago, my mom was quite ill and is still recovering so I have decided to be here with her for awhile to help her since my dad is also not doing so well and it is impossible for her to care for him as well. Anyway, She has decided to change her old ceramic tile to granite. She finally had it installed this Friday and wow! It looks gorgeous!
Well, While cleaning up and making sure everything was placed back into her cabinets after cleaning up all that dust.......wow! it was a mess at first but the last thing I did right before i went to bed was make sure the counter top was wiped down. I couldn't help but notice some light flaws and or scratches. My neighbor said this was normal since granite is a natural stone. I love how beautiful the it looks but just worry if my mom decides to take a closer look and notice this as well. I wish i had more knowledge on this but my apartment also has ceramic counter top and I am no help as far as knowledge about granite. I guess it makes sense that a natural stone would have flaws it's only natural right? but would love to hear of others who can help me in the care of granite and if you have these flaws as well.

Thanks much and sorry for the long post!

Can you post a couple of pics of the flaws you're describing? A new granite countertop really shouldn't have much irregularity that you'd notice. It would be a shame if it wasn't prepared properly and you just accepted it. Yes, it's a natural stone, but it's polished and then sealed, so the surface is normally extremely uniform when brand new.

jellyv, I will post some photos by this evening thanks! you know, My mother said that she can hardly see them unless you look closely but I just want to make sure it was done properly like you mention, Polished, sealed and it should look brand new on the first day, at least. Thanks!

lorihmatthews, I can kick myself by not inspecting it closely but it was running into the night so perhaps with the lighting and all you can hardly see it until I wiped it down.

r15324, I should have known! I can't see them without my contacts though.....:shrugs:

Thank you all for the quick reply!

My brand-new (as in moved in as soon as construction completed) condo's sealed granite counter tops had a few rough "scratched" up parts and imperfect colouring, this is normal as far as I know. :yes:

the imperfections are what make it beautiful. what your describing seems normal. if you want perfect, quartz is a much better choice. about the same $$, but you get a consistent look thats very easy to care for.

be extra careful if your not used to having granite. you need to keep re-sealing it, and it can stain, so dont leave anything out on it (even water can stain).

So sorry I'm posting late......things are quite stressful here at home since my mom became ill but I do want to take the time to post and thank you!

Miss ritz and bagaholic85 thanks ! I am finally at peace with my granite......and bagaholic85 I will be extra carful thanks again!