New for ebay, need some help please.

bird2sky

Apr 7, 2008
I just bought a eye cream at BIN price, but I forgot to ask about the expiration date on it. I sent a email to the seller, got a very rude answer "it comes as shown and it is not expiration date!".

I know I should had asked the question before placed an order. But I do not want to spent my money on an expired item, also the buyer is not very nice.

What should I do? Do I have to pay this item? help please? Thanks!!

I wouldn't buy from a seller that sends rude responses. However, sometimes the answer may appear that way (due to a language barrier) but the seller didn't mean to be rude. Did you check other auctions to see if they list an expiration date on that particular cream. Sometimes there isn't one. I would email her again to confirm that the item is fresh and to double check to see if there is an expiration date. If she is uncooperative at that point, I would just pass on the deal.

I just bought a eye cream at BIN price, but I forgot to ask about the expiration date on it. I sent a email to the seller, got a very rude answer "it comes as shown and it is not expiration date!".

I know I should had asked the question before placed an order. But I do not want to spent my money on an expired item, also the buyer is not very nice.

What should I do? Do I have to pay this item? help please? Thanks!!

You don't HAVE to pay, but if you don't, the seller can file what's known as a "non paying bidder" strike against you. ebay probably won't do anything this once, but if you do this too often, your account would probably be suspended.

Do you know for a fact this cream has an expiration date? If you do, email the seller again, tell her where on the package she can find the expiration date and see if she'll tell you. Depending on the price, i might or might not pay if it were me. Most creams are still good past the expiration date unless there is a sunscreen in the product.

If you are POSITIVE there is an expiration date somewhere on the product, I would nicely tell the seller that until she tells you, you won't pay it. It is against the law to sell merchandise past the exp. date.

If she gets irate, you can always pay it and then request a refund from paypal if the exp. date has passed. If I were the seller, I would tell you rather than go through the hassle of the buyer wanting a refund.

i'll say pay for it through paypal using ur CC, if the exp date passed, file for REFUnd. sometime seller may get upset if question is asked after won the auction. really it was part of ur fault.
however, a nice seller would answer it better

Embratt, thank you very much for your reply!!!

The seller stated his item was brand new, I was supposed that the item came with a box and there was a expiration date on the box.

Anyway, it was my fault. What am I supposed to do next? Am I going broke any law if I won't not pay the seller?

PBCalifornia and i_love_yorkie, thank you very much!!

There is not a way to find out the expiration date on this item, because the seller answered me that there was not a box with this item and there was not expiration on this item by email after I placed the order.

No, you won't be breaking any law if you choose not to follow through with the transaction. Just an "eBay law," which nowadays doesn't mean anything.

Look, mistakes happen. If you're that uncomfortable following through with the transaction, and especially because the seller is being an idiot, then don't pay. At least he/she can't leave you a negative. Like they said above, the worst that will happen is they'll file a NPB and that's that. No biggy.

What you could do just for a nice gesture is, you could offer to reimburse the seller for his/her eBay fees. Just explain the situation and offer to pay. Maybe they'll be a little nicer.

Don't worry, the eBay police won't come and get you.

No, you won't be breaking any law if you choose not to follow through with the transaction. Just an "eBay law," which nowadays doesn't mean anything.

Look, mistakes happen. If you're that uncomfortable following through with the transaction, and especially because the seller is being an idiot, then don't pay. At least he/she can't leave you a negative. Like they said above, the worst that will happen is they'll file a NPB and that's that. No biggy.

What you could do just for a nice gesture is, you could offer to reimburse the seller for his/her eBay fees. Just explain the situation and offer to pay. Maybe they'll be a little nicer.

Don't worry, the eBay police won't come and get you.

:tup::heart:

Any idea about the ebay fees? How much? Thanks!

I'm assuming the seller will be honest with you about their fees. I am not sure the breakdown of the fees, (and sadly, I am a seller) but I know it's plainly listed somewhere on their website. So just offer and see what he/she says. Maybe they'll just offer to do a mutually agreed to cancel transaction, or whatever it's called.