New Earrings are making my ears bleed :(

Nov 9, 2010
I'm sooooooo upset I've wanted these Chopard Happy Diamond Earrings for ages & never even looked at how thick the post was so when DH surprised me with them for Xmas I was really happy but the first day I wore them they made my ears really sore because the post is twice as thick as any earring I own & I'm literally forcing it in the hole pierced in my ears......One ear has settled down but last night I removed the left one & there was quite a bit of blood from the back of my ear.

I'm desperate for any advice on how I can stretch the hole in my ear slightly or the other option is to take them to a jeweller & have the post made thinner but that would mean replacing the butterfly on the back because the one that came with them wouldn't fit.

If anyone has any advice or has suffered from the same problem I would love to hear what I can do so they fit comfortably......I haven't told my DH as he was so excited to give them to me so I know he will be upset they don't fit.

My big diamond studs have a large post also. Still can't sleep in them though, the post to way too long. My ears eventually got used to them. Just use alcohol to clean ears when u take them out. It does get better.

Just treat yours ears like you did when you first got them pierced. alcohol twice a day, twirl the earings in your ears a few times a day. they should be fine in a few days. They will stretch out.

I had an ear cream ages ago that we got at the mall when I had my ears pierced the second time. I used to put it on the posts before putting anything thicker into my ears. It's like a lubricant and makes them go in so much easier. I would assume that something like vaseline would work so they would slide in better. It will reduce the soreness and aggravation from just shoving them in when they don't fit. I would say if they are already aggravated to try coating the posts with polysporin before putting them in and see if they go in any easier. Then once they are healed up use a bit of vaseline if you still have problems getting them to go in easily.

This same topic came up recently and someone suggested getting your ears tapered? http://forum.purseblog.com/the-jewelry-box/diamond-earrings-can-barely-get-them-my-ears-783217.html

I hope it works out for you :sad: What a shame that they're hurting you at the moment.

Sounds right - or just have a jeweller replace the posts. I had to have my gold VCA posts changed to platinum b/c I'm allergic to anything but platinum... was pretty simple and now I can wear them full time!

Sounds right - or just have a jeweller replace the posts. I had to have my gold VCA posts changed to platinum b/c I'm allergic to anything but platinum... was pretty simple and now I can wear them full time!

I'm pretty lucky that I can wear any metal in my ears but these are so thick & I have no idea why they've made them with such thick posts..... I just hope my ears eventually gets used to the thickness :sad:

I'm pretty lucky that I can wear any metal in my ears but these are so thick & I have no idea why they've made them with such thick posts..... I just hope my ears eventually gets used to the thickness :sad:
im so sorry to hear they are hurting you :sad:

What about contacting Chopard (they have lovely customer service) and explaining the problem. They may be able to replace for you? Or see if another jeweller will replace with thinnner posts? They could melt down the gold from your thick posts and use that so at least you are still using the same gold that came with the earrings?

Im not sure on this... but with regards to the advice to just stick with it and your ear holes will get used to it, wouldnt that mean that the holes are then stretched permanently and then your other earrings wouldnt fit properly and start to fall forward in your ear? A lot of my mums earrings do this and it really annoys her. She has to really tighten the butterfly at the back and that then pinches her earlobes to keep the earrings in :sad:

Oh no! You were so thrilled with those beautiful earrings :sad: I would try what neenabengal or surfergirljen suggested as it would be better if you can keep the original posts in whatever form if you can - even if replaced with thinner ones using the same gold - and if that doesn't work just have the posts replaced completely.

designerdiva40 said:

Your ears will get used to it, don't worry! Just follow the direction of the lovely ladies here and treat them as if they were newly pierced.

However, if you are not planning to wear these earrings frequently then your ear hole could go back down in size and you may have some discomfort when you put the Chopards back in.

Good luck and enjoy your new earrings!

I would contact Chopard about having a thinner post put on them first. If they won't do that, you can visit a piercing shop about having your holes stretched a bit.

I've phoned a piercing shop & they suggested exactly what you lovely ladies suggested so I'm going to pay them a visit......they did say whatever I do don't leave earrings out if it bleeds because it can scab over & completely close the hole altogether but luckily I've been wearing some thinner posts in my ears & there fine with them its just when I squeeze the Chopards into the hole :sad:

Oh no! You were so thrilled with those beautiful earrings :sad: I would try what neenabengal or surfergirljen suggested as it would be better if you can keep the original posts in whatever form if you can - even if replaced with thinner ones using the same gold - and if that doesn't work just have the posts replaced completely.

I know Hun I feel like crying.....I've wanted these earring ever since I got the ring & necklace 2 years ago so you can imagine how upset I am :nogood::tdown:

I agree with ame ^ I would also have the post changed to a thinner one. I'm confident this can be done easily. I had a pearl earring once separate from the post back so I know they can put it back on and take it off if need be. I would never dream of stretching my ear hole, that sounds nightmarish and scary yikes to think about it even, I'm squeamish.
I also have very small earring holes and can't buy earrings online, even though I did 4x and got lucky on ebay. I wouldn't risk it again and will have to go to a store next time. My days of getting ebay earring deals are over, oh well.