New Drummed leather bags for Resort 2012

Syma

O.G.
Jan 2, 2007
I absolutely love Celine and have a mini luggage that I bought a year ago and a horizontal cabas I've had for a few months. I popped into Selfridges yesterday with some friends to check out the new resort collection and was a little bit put off with the new drummed/grained leather bags that they have done for the new luggage bags in the fluorescent colours and red/ taupe etc. Whereas the smooth mini that I already have is lined in leather the new drummed leather bags were lined in what can only be described as a faux suede! The leather also felt embossed rather than naturally grained and a part of me was left a little disappointed despite the yummy colours on display. Has anyone else bought the new collection of luggages and not feeling the love??? The sales assistant said the bags were lined in material to stop them feeling too heavy but to me it just looked like a cost cutting exercise while at the same time they had increased the price. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I thought the lining for some Céline bags was alcantara, which is a polyester/polyurethane blend that looks like suede but is much tougher and lighter. I can't comment on what alcantara looks like or feels like to the touch, since my cabas and trapeze don't have linings and I haven't really looked at any other bags in detail, but maybe that's what you saw?

I absolutely love Celine and have a mini luggage that I bought a year ago and a horizontal cabas I've had for a few months. I popped into Selfridges yesterday with some friends to check out the new resort collection and was a little bit put off with the new drummed/grained leather bags that they have done for the new luggage bags in the fluorescent colours and red/ taupe etc. Whereas the smooth mini that I already have is lined in leather the new drummed leather bags were lined in what can only be described as a faux suede! The leather also felt embossed rather than naturally grained and a part of me was left a little disappointed despite the yummy colours on display. Has anyone else bought the new collection of luggages and not feeling the love??? The sales assistant said the bags were lined in material to stop them feeling too heavy but to me it just looked like a cost cutting exercise while at the same time they had increased the price. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I concur, I am convinced that all the Luggage I saw last year was either leather-lined or contrast (real) suede-lined, I never saw a single model of Celine last year with micro-fibre/suedette lining.

A bag's lining is as important to me a the outside whichever brand. A year ago I was just waiting for the perfect colour and dithering abobut which size but now I think I'm gonna pass (at least for now) even though the (tumbled) 'almond' is a perfect shade of near-white for me and the (smooth) dark navy the chicest dark blue. Their allure was a reasonable price for such excellent quality (IMO) - way beyond their direct competition. If quality is/will be compromised it just makes the Luggage another great looking, popular bag and there are enough of those around at the same price-point.

The alcantara or PL faux suede lining in pebbled luggage bags is not new to this season. To my knowledge the lining in these bags has always been PL, while the lining in smooth bags has been leather. There is a little discussion about it here: http://forum.purseblog.com/celine/h...ini-grainy-leather-677650-3.html#post20185656

I don't know if the material they are using this season is different, but so it is a substitute for PL, not for real suede.

That said, I agree with you about the drummed leather. I cancelled a pre-order I had made for a drummed leather bag after seeing one in person and having second thoughts.

^ Thank you for posting armyofbirds, papertiger and dreamlet. As an owner of the smooth mini luggage I had no idea that Celine used a faux suede lining for the grained luggage! As papertiger said I assumed that the lining was real suede where it was in contrast to the bag colour or leather lined. Maybe I was thinking of the envelope luggage from a few seasons ago. I wish they had designed more of the resort colours in the smooth leather.

:wtf:
I had no idea that the newer Luggage bags weren't lined with actual suede. Makes me even happier that I hung onto my Envelope Luggage bag and didn't trade it in for a newer color/style. The tags on my Envelope Luggage say Lining 100% calfskin.

So do the newer Luggage bags w/the drummed leather feel less substantial overall, compared to past season Luggage bags? I really hate when designers do that - they make a bag that becomes a major hit and is a truly beautiful, wonderful bag that's worth every penny. Then in order to keep up with the demand, they lower the quality of the bag, change the materials that they use, buut at the same time, they raise the price. That's why, whenever I find a designer bag/style I truly love, I always try to get a first season (or earlier season) bag since those are almost the highest quality.

^So true, I have found this to be the case with lots of designers. The earlier Chanels were amazing and lasted a lifetime. Balenciaga did the best leathers in 2005 which were the earlier motorcycle bag days. I'm sorry to say the new drummed leather bags did not feel as well crafted to me as the luggage did last year. There were a few threads that were comparing Celine to Hermes in terms of craftsmanship etc but I'm sorry to say after looking at the newer bags I'm not sure this is still the case.

I finally had a chance to see the new drummed leather Luggage bags and I was not impressed -- the leather felt very thin kinda "cheap", certainly not up to par with the smooth luggage bags. And don't even get me started on the PL linings - sure they may be lighter weight, but for $800 more, they should be sticking with suede or leather. I don't understand if they can line the Phantom bags with actual suede, why the Luggage bags can't.

The only part of the bag I actually liked were the handles which were wonderfully soft. They remind me of the type of leather used on the envelope bags -- that thick, soft , "cushiony" calf leather. I'd love to see them do more Luggage bags in the same leather they used for the envelope -- those were made with some extraordinary leather!

RE: post no. 6, yes they do feel less substantial. I agree with some previous posters who have said it feels plastic-y. It's lighter, true, but I'd take more weight for better quality any day. And yes, the fabric lining is totally unappealing. So glad I returned the jungle (twice). And, btw, I'll find out tomorrow whether my Celine Holy Grail is gonna become reality.