New Diamond Ring Help me decide!?

This is a new ring. I have just upgraded from a 1.64 round ring to this 3.54 radiant cut. I am now unsure about this stone and have only two weeks to return it for something else. It is E colour si1. The thing is I am not sure about is the cut. It is cut very deep and looks more like a 3 ct.It is 9mmx8mmx? I am thinking maybe I would have liked the look of a 3ct round or cushion better. I would love to hear what some of you think.:confused1:

Last edited:
whoops, sorry i was too quick :P

carjenben - the ring is absolutely gorgeous and it looks beautiful on your fingers, but i do think it doesn't look like 3.54 carats. i love the radiant cut, i think it is unique and i love squarish cut diamonds... here you have a squarish diamond which also has the fire/brilliance of a round cut. but if it is size you are going for, then maybe you will get more "bang for your buck" with a round or cushion.

It's beautiful, but as zippie said, if you don't love it right away, you probably never will

I have to agree. When it comes to jewelry, if you have ANY doubts,
keep looking. It is too big an investment to not get exactly what you desire..... and when you see it, you will know.

Rounds always face up bigger, so I understand what you're saying. But the diamond does look very sizable.

If it's just getting used to another shape I'd try to hold out. But if it's something you'll think about every time you look at your ring for years to come, exchange it ASAP.

You should be completely dazzled by an upgrade like this, so find something that makes you giddy inside!

According to the size chart. a 3-ct radiant cut measures 10x8 mm, and a 4.0-ct measures 10x9mm. Thus, for a 3.54-ct radiant cut diamond, I expect something around 10x8.5mm. Your 9x8mm appears to be a little over 2.5 ct (which measures about 9x7mm). Is this diamond well cut in terms of proportion? I am most interested in its cut for maximum light performance. How does the ASET look?

carjenben, here is the link to the explanation about ASET. It is a great tool for assessing light performance of diamonds, and is particularly useful for fancy shape diamonds.
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

An idealscope is also helpful for round and brilliant cut diamonds. here is the link for its explanation.
http://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_indx.asp

You may also visit pricescope.com where you can post a question about your diamond. Besides the carat size, cut that provides maximum light performance is the most important.
http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/72/1/Laboratory-Cut-Grades-What-the-report-doesn’t-show.aspx

For expensive diamonds, you need to take your time understanding what you are buying and get the best for your money with no regrets later.

Good luck!

carjenben - the ring is absolutely gorgeous and it looks beautiful on your fingers, but i do think it doesn't look like 3.54 carats. i love the radiant cut, i think it is unique and i love squarish cut diamonds... here you have a squarish diamond which also has the fire/brilliance of a round cut. but if it is size you are going for, then maybe you will get more "bang for your buck" with a round or cushion.

:goodpost: ITA with carlinha.

to people who know & appreciate diamonds, we will know that this is a more expensive cut. however, most people appreciate the face-up appearance. I also agree with zippie...if you already have doubts, return it for something that truly sets your heart afire.

my e-ring is a radiant cut and just from experience i have had the same doubts you have. it is a 1.5 carat diamond and does not always appear to be the same as say a 1.5 carat round brilliant. my radiant is a very square one and thus is more rare.

that being said-it is extremely unique and still has a lot of fire bc of the faceting...unlike a typical square princess which does not. a radiant cut is typically described as a hybrid between an emerald and a round brilliant. IMHO you get the best of both worlds here: the sparkle of a round brilliant in a square shape :smile:

oh and i always get compliments...a lot of ppl have never even seen a radiant before.

i think ur ring is gorgeous and u should keep it :smile:

Thank you all for so much info. The store that we got this stone from is Ross Simons and we are asking to see two more stones. One is a 3ct round the other is a 3 ct cushion. The store is not very easy to work with as they do not have loose stones in the store. They send for them and complain the it is costs them a few hundred dollars each time. They only allow me two stones at a time. The salespeaple are nice but, I need to be sure and not feel like I am causing them more trouble then its worth. I think if one of the two that are coming in are not IT I will go else where. Wish me luck!